Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Local derby? I’ll say!

MickyD

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There won’t be too many who’ll remember Bolton Olympic  who played their games at TunFow. BWFC drew them in an FA cup tie and beat them 9-0. Well, I never knew!

Interesting that they played in our modern colours until they died

At the time, bwfc still hadnt adopted white shirts

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Halliwell who played at Holy Harbour were invited to join the football league, I read once

Imagine that, two league clubs in Bolton

Sheffield Wednesday record score is 12-0 Against Halliwell FA Cup 1891

Was at the football museum last weekend with my lad and there's a fair bit about Turton FC bringing the game into a more professional outfit (from memory) being one of the first teams in the lancs league to pay expenses and eventually a flat fee for turning out 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turton_F.C.

Anyway... Is that THE Neil Hart managing them in 2018? 

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, tomski said:

Good knowledge. Bolton Olympic sound quite flamboyant.

New knowledge. I was looking to see if we ever played St Mirren on some site which does head-to-head game results. I started searching for Bolton and Bolton Olympic came up. I was intrigued so took a peek.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

New knowledge. I was looking to see if we ever played St Mirren on some site which does head-to-head game results. I started searching for Bolton and Bolton Olympic came up. I was intrigued so took a peek.

I remember playing St Mirren in the Anglo Scottish Cup in the 70s, had to look it up to confirm we lost 5-4 over 2 legs in the quarter final in 79/80 season

great lever”  the leverits “. Had the better history beat Everton twice once 7-1 with two goals disallowed beat Blackburn , derby county 6-0 .  Played preston twice in the fa cup when preston were top dogs losing 4-3 away in front of 6,000. Beat Bolton Olympic in fa cup then lost to Bolton Wanderers . And was a founder member of the British football association. Rival to the FA .
History took a different route and they could of been top dog 

Edited by Farnywhite

On 29/06/2023 at 23:23, MickyD said:

There won’t be too many who’ll remember Bolton Olympic  who played their games at TunFow. BWFC drew them in an FA cup tie and beat them 9-0. Well, I never knew!

"The match that was "very disagreeable throughout, owing to the unseemly disputes which arose among the players and the interference of the onlookers, who behaved very rudely to the visitors, in several instances almost getting from words to blows", which was blamed in part on the Lynwood pitch being"in very bad condition""

😂

The pettiness in the second paragraph is great, too

Clearly they weren't good losers 😁