Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (H)

Zico

How good is Toal? Outstanding player , I loved the way he was directing players ,shouting at the midfield to make movement, top class football player . 

The way he brought the ball out of defence and ran with it into midfield was really cool. Reminded me of Franz Beckenbauer,  Fernando Hierro.

Great scouting to find such a gem. Has a great future ahead of him .

2 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

How good is Toal? Outstanding player , I loved the way he was directing players ,shouting at the midfield to make movement, top class football player . 

The way he brought the ball out of defence and ran with it into midfield was really cool. Reminded me of Franz Beckenbauer,  Fernando Hierro.

Great scouting to find such a gem. Has a great future ahead of him .

Completely agree with that Nottm he’s more of a captain than Rico, always prompting players and directing play. I actually think the starting eleven yesterday is our best so full marks to IE for seeing it especially with George adding that bite in the middle. My only complaint for yesterday was making 5 substitutions which given there’s now an international break I couldn’t see the need for. Fortunately it didn’t affect the result but we’ll done Whites, came out shooting right from the start so let’s hope we can keep that up now because if we do I don’t see anybody stopping us from finishing top, or top two at least.

7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I know ... & who tf am I ... but, as explained above, I think it's wrong.

At least one, to ensure a cleared ball does become a free hit to return it.

Bit, there you go.

I agree with you 100% on this.  Baffling why you'd want to invite pressure by greatly increasing the chances of any clearance coming straight back.  And surely the keeper doesn't want 20 bodies blocking his view/space and increasing chances of richochets/deflections.

Its always a relief when other teams bring 11 back and I know we don't need to worry about a breakaway when its cleared.

3 hours ago, captainmed said:

With the Barnsley away game expected to be postponed we will be playing 8 of our first 12 league games at home!!!!!

After Tuesday we will have played 9 league & cup games, 7 at home, just 2 away!

Slightly annoying that after 12 league games, 8 will have been at home, the table won't be a realistic reflection really.  Last year we got 2 points a game at home and 1.5 away, so just to match last year's a par return would be 22.  Obviously we need to be aiming for more if we want to finish higher than 6th.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Completely agree with that Nottm he’s more of a captain than Rico, always prompting players and directing play. I actually think the starting eleven yesterday is our best so full marks to IE for seeing it especially with George adding that bite in the middle. My only complaint for yesterday was making 5 substitutions which given there’s now an international break I couldn’t see the need for. Fortunately it didn’t affect the result but we’ll done Whites, came out shooting right from the start so let’s hope we can keep that up now because if we do I don’t see anybody stopping us from finishing top, or top two at least.

I would find a place for Forrester and JDB personally (assuming he's fit enough).  And no Williams.   

Derby fans are all over social media blaming the ref. The handball they claimed was in the lead up to the pen they got. (Not one player appeals for the actual pen)

The penalty was their only shot on target in the game. Last season we played them away and hardly got a kick, Saturday they were kick and rush at best. Totally reliant on set pieces to hoof the ball into the area. 

We battered them 2-1. You could tell how one sided the game was when they scored no one got on the players backs, realised we had been unlucky. They were awful. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Derby fans are all over social media blaming the ref. The handball they claimed was in the lead up to the pen they got. (Not one player appeals for the actual pen)

The penalty was their only shot on target in the game. Last season we played them away and hardly got a kick, Saturday they were kick and rush at best. Totally reliant on set pieces to hoof the ball into the area. 

We battered them 2-1. You could tell how one sided the game was when they scored no one got on the players backs, realised we had been unlucky. They were awful. 

Yes we were the better team, but why would they not be complaining about the ref, we'd be the same surely.  It looks like the keeper shouldn't have been sent off, they had a goal chalked off before the pen, reports that Sheehan was outside the box for our pen although I haven't seen it, and 1 or 2 other pen claims (I was holding my breath when Santos collided with their player shortly after our goal, as a pen would have probably resulted in a 2nd booking for him).  We had the rub of the green, its great😀 We had the ref against us v Wigan (to a lesser extent), this week he was for us, hopefully he will be at Reading too. 

Derby were poor but still a big struggle to beat them without the jammy goal.  They limited our chances from open play to scraps in the 2nd half and looked dangerous from set pieces, they will be top 6 I'm sure, although whether Warne stays for the season is open to debate.

I disagree on their keeper sending off JR, the ref can only give what he sees and he did go and check with the linesman before giving the red card. As far as our pen is concerned it was right on the line for me but I believe the rules actually state that it doesn’t technically have to be right inside the box if the attacking player is bearing down on goal. After the sending off we should have buried Derby but yet again failed to shoot whe chances came but in fairness to Derby they defended well and blocked several Thomason efforts. All said we were well worth the win and the far better team. I actually don’t rate Derby that much and think they’ll struggle to make top 6 the way Warnes got them playing. Like you it will be interesting to see how long he lasts if they don’t improve by Christmas.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I disagree on their keeper sending off JR, the ref can only give what he sees and he did go and check with the linesman before giving the red card. As far as our pen is concerned it was right on the line for me but I believe the rules actually state that it doesn’t technically have to be right inside the box if the attacking player is bearing down on goal. After the sending off we should have buried Derby but yet again failed to shoot whe chances came but in fairness to Derby they defended well and blocked several Thomason efforts. All said we were well worth the win and the far better team. I actually don’t rate Derby that much and think they’ll struggle to make top 6 the way Warnes got them playing. Like you it will be interesting to see how long he lasts if they don’t improve by Christmas.

Can only give what he thinks he sees then.

6 hours ago, Ani said:

Love to see it. Hopefully many more will moan after playing us

5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes we were the better team, but why would they not be complaining about the ref, we'd be the same surely.  It looks like the keeper shouldn't have been sent off, they had a goal chalked off before the pen, reports that Sheehan was outside the box for our pen although I haven't seen it, and 1 or 2 other pen claims (I was holding my breath when Santos collided with their player shortly after our goal, as a pen would have probably resulted in a 2nd booking for him).  We had the rub of the green, its great😀 We had the ref against us v Wigan (to a lesser extent), this week he was for us, hopefully he will be at Reading too. 

Derby were poor but still a big struggle to beat them without the jammy goal.  They limited our chances from open play to scraps in the 2nd half and looked dangerous from set pieces, they will be top 6 I'm sure, although whether Warne stays for the season is open to debate.

The goal they had a goal chalked off was for a penalty that they scored so no impact whatsoever. They are posting pictures of the handball before the corner too.

They had one shot on target in the whole game and that was the penalty. Did you go to the game at their place last year ? Played us off the park. Saturday they were totally reliant on set pieces and scrapping and claiming for stuff in the area. The fact Santos did not get a yellow card for a challenge that was not even a foul makes no sense. 
Apparently Big Vic was pulling the guys shirt for the penalty but they rarely get given, again hardly a sign the ref was 'for or against' anyone. 

Extended highlights from Derby and Sheehan is fouled in area, their commentators do not raise an issue. The so called missed penalties do not even make their edit. 
On the sending off no idea where you sit  in the ground but the first challenge on Big Vic the legs are wrapped around him, even though he gets the ball it is a foul, the follow up shot the keeper spreads himself and the ball goes off his chest into his arm, we were side on to it and looked a pen every day, the view we had was clearer than the instagram image that shows the initial touch on the chest. 

They can cry as much as they want but they were a shadow of the team we played last year, that is their problem not a few decisions they did not like. 

32 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Is there some evidence that he definitely didn’t handle it because from what I’ve seen it seems pretty nailed on and the ref even confirmed it with the linesman?

There is some grainy video on instagram that shows first contact on the chest. The ball live seemed to hit his arm too but the video stops before then. Not sure if there is enough based on that video to over turn the call. 

As I mentioned above the initial tackle on Big Vic the keeper does make contact with the ball but tackle is 'robust' . It has been said (not sure of the source ) that the reef was for initial challenge. 

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I disagree on their keeper sending off JR, the ref can only give what he sees and he did go and check with the linesman before giving the red card. As far as our pen is concerned it was right on the line for me but I believe the rules actually state that it doesn’t technically have to be right inside the box if the attacking player is bearing down on goal. After the sending off we should have buried Derby but yet again failed to shoot whe chances came but in fairness to Derby they defended well and blocked several Thomason efforts. All said we were well worth the win and the far better team. 

I saw a picture somewhere, I think it was posted on here, of the ball hitting the keeper's chest, with his arm outstretched.  I can't blame the ref or linesman for getting it wrong if that was the case, just saying I don't blame away fans for complaining, we'd do exactly the same.

Of course we were well worth the win in the 2nd half but like Barnsley away last year its a different game when you're leading v 10 men, we scored more goals in that game than in the other 4 games against them last season put together! (not all to do with the sending off of course, but it didn't do us any harm).