Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (H)


Bertie

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

Back 3 is going to be interesting post break

Santos and 2 others....

I like Toal at his best, but hes not been at his best

I like Jones at his best, as hes more comfortable than most pushing up. Again, not been at his best

Iredale is OK against some opposition but looks slow

Forrester looks promising

Id go Santos with, erm, fuck knows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Casino said:

Back 3 is going to be interesting post break

Santos and 2 others....

I like Toal at his best, but hes not been at his best

I like Jones at his best, as hes more comfortable than most pushing up. Again, not been at his best

Iredale is OK against some opposition but looks slow

Forrester looks promising

Id go Santos with, erm, fuck knows

Santos plus any 2 is ok by me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
15 hours ago, Horwich said:

GK - no improvement

Defence - no improvement

Midfield - no improvement

Strikers - no improvement

I'm fine with the squad when they turn up 

It's when they wilt that's the issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Casino said:

Back 3 is going to be interesting post break

Santos and 2 others....

I like Toal at his best, but hes not been at his best

I like Jones at his best, as hes more comfortable than most pushing up. Again, not been at his best

Iredale is OK against some opposition but looks slow

Forrester looks promising

Id go Santos with, erm, fuck knows

The fact that we are needing players to be "at their best" to be challenging at the top end of League 1 says a lot. Toal has loads of potential for improvement still, as does Forrester. You could say the same in other areas of the team.

It boils down to that old debate about "sustainable" signings and the need to have patience while they improve and gain the necessary consistency. The trouble is this is now year 5 in the lower divisions - it's not a situation in which Bolton Wanderers fans of any era are likely to continue displaying patience. Me very much included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

This division is shite this year.

Opportunity possibly missed.

Is it though?

How do we know if Portsmouth aren't as good as Plymouth were?

Sheff Weds hardly ripped up trees and limped to promotion.

Ipswich Ill give you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Casino said:

that doesnt necessarily mean its weaker, does it?

i

Those 3 teams was machines not convincing all the time but they was good,  watching highlights and reading reports online Oxford & Portsmouth haven’t been convincing (yes they’re getting results and tbf Portsmouth are 23 unbeaten) but I’m not seeing it

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Those 3 teams was machines not convincing all the time but they was good,  watching highlights and reading reports online Oxford & Portsmouth haven’t been convincing (yes they’re getting results and tbf Portsmouth are 23 unbeaten) but I’m not seeing it

 

I agree White and to be honest other than the Wigan debacle we could and probably should have won all our other games, even allowing for injuries and suspensions, so Portsmouths and Oxfords runs probably don’t indicate they’re “special” sides like I believe Ipswich and Pompey were last year. If we can get our players back and Evatt can just relent a little and get the ball moved forward more quickly instead of this sideways nonsense then I see no reason why we still can’t make the automatics, or maybe I’m just being over optimistic? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once Plymouth Ipswich and Sheff Wed had gone on their merry way it was, for me, a case of which of the nearly men (Barnsley, Derby, Posh, Portsmouth, us) dusted themselves down best over Summer, identified their shortfalls and sorted them. 

Portsmouth certainly showing best signs up to now, us, Derby, Barnsley huffing and puffing a bit, Posh still pretty much what they were. 

Then, a case of how some of the 'lesser' teams from last season found ways and means to improve, as they're entitled to do, and what sort of a go the promoted teams could give it.  Oxford currently a good example of improvement on last season.

Suppose what I'm saying is it shouldn't be taken for granted that the division will be piss weak just because those three big hitters from last season aren't in it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Once Plymouth Ipswich and Sheff Wed had gone on their merry way it was, for me, a case of which of the nearly men (Barnsley, Derby, Posh, Portsmouth, us) dusted themselves down best over Summer, identified their shortfalls and sorted them. 

Portsmouth certainly showing best signs up to now, us, Derby, Barnsley huffing and puffing a bit, Posh still pretty much what they were. 

Then, a case of how some of the 'lesser' teams from last season found ways and means to improve, as they're entitled to do, and what sort of a go the promoted teams could give it.  Oxford currently a good example of improvement on last season.

Suppose what I'm saying is it shouldn't be taken for granted that the division will be piss weak just because those three big hitters from last season aren't in it

Thats what I was trying to say. We needed a small improvement this year and promotion would been ours.

I have not seen this yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

So far signings made up of loans and frees

read an article that potential money is going into a new ground 

They have to leave the Kassam by 2026 as the old owner wants to turn it into something else. @Paul_Hanley will know better. 

Edited by tomski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Casino said:

Back 3 is going to be interesting post break

Santos and 2 others....

I like Toal at his best, but hes not been at his best

I like Jones at his best, as hes more comfortable than most pushing up. Again, not been at his best

Iredale is OK against some opposition but looks slow

Forrester looks promising

Id go Santos with, erm, fuck knows

Iredale has weaknesses but I think a left footed player is important on that side. We seem to build quite well on the left when plays, links with Williams well....final ball from that side not yet delivering but it works going forward.

In the same way Jones who I think has been below par this season, is better at linking play going forward. So that works going forward . 
 

Defensively I would have said till last 2 games Toal is as good a defender as we have and not conceding v Pboro and Vale implies he can do a great job, but he looked shot on Saturday. 
 

There is bigger debate on getting the balance between players pushing forward (especially wing backs) and doing their defensive duties .

Personally I would go Jones, Santos and Iredale. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Casino said:

my perception was that last year was a blip with oxford?

That seems about right

I'm sure they usually hover in and around the final play-off positions

Quite a few people seemed to be tipping them as promotion contenders in pre-season, though, so I'm assuming they've signed well even if they haven't spent very much in transfer fees

They've appointed Liam Manning as manager, who led MK Dons to third the season before last before it all went to shit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ani said:

Iredale has weaknesses but I think a left footed player is important on that side. We seem to build quite well on the left when plays, links with Williams well....final ball from that side not yet delivering but it works going forward.

In the same way Jones who I think has been below par this season, is better at linking play going forward. So that works going forward . 
 

Defensively I would have said till last 2 games Toal is as good a defender as we have and not conceding v Pboro and Vale implies he can do a great job, but he looked shot on Saturday. 
 

There is bigger debate on getting the balance between players pushing forward (especially wing backs) and doing their defensive duties .

Personally I would go Jones, Santos and Iredale. 

Forester, Santos, Toal for me

Toal might not currently be at his best but Iredale's been given the roundabout a couple of times this season so I'd just go with our three best centre-halves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Forester, Santos, Toal for me

Toal might not currently be at his best but Iredale's been given the roundabout a couple of times this season so I'd just go with our three best centre-halves

If Forrester has a left foot on him I'd be happy with that. If not we'll have to stick with Iredale, who had a storming game Vs Stevenage tbf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.