Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (H)

globaldiver

8 hours ago, desperado said:

I’d be bringing on JDB or even starting him before Dan or Jerome, so I don’t agree with everything he does 😊

Thomason and Iredale certainly don’t help themselves with silly bookings, so I’m not going to defend that one either.

However you can’t fault either of them in that 2nd half, they were everything that’s been good about these last 2 wins; character, leadership, goals assists, passion - I’m glad they were both on in that 2nd half and weren’t hauled off! 

Surely even from Los Christianos you can see how integral they were to that win? 😉

I agree they where both good 2nd half, but, the point i was trying to make, is both could quite easily have been sent off in the 1st half, through silly mistakes created by us, and in the 2nd half one more foul by either we would have been down to 10, which we could have ill afforded. Luckily it didnt happen, and we got the three points.

Anyway, just 35 degrees here, great turn out yesterday, 10 of us in Caseys. More of the same on Saturday.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

From my limited experience in the field, I think he was simply speaking too loudly in the microphone which was completely unnecessary given you could hear a pin drop. The microphone automatically cuts out if the input goes above a certain level.

Highly doubt it's as simple as that, as it's been happening every single home game for years now. It's just far more noticeable when the entire stadium is silent and listening intently.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators

3rd after 10 games will do for me with injured players to come back - think we will be better in general when Santos (not that we've missed him), Paris, CMG and Adebayejo are all fit

it's imperative that Charles stays fit though if we are to keep it up

the next big milestone is 20 games

because games 19 and 20 are Oxford and Portsmouth away

8 hours ago, barryk32 said:

We won 3-2, Iredale wins a penalty, gets a goal, is solid at the back all game and theres folk moaning he got booked.

Iredale was involved in 4 of the 5 goals last night. Won the pen, scored the second, put the ball in for Sheehan and beaten by some brilliant play for their 1st.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Santos (not that we've missed him)

I thought we missed him massively yesterday.

There’s no way those front 3 would have won the amount of ball they did if Santos was playing and If Santos is left 1 on 1 for their first goal I don’t think the striker wins that battle.

We are also more composed and less risky in our passing and bringing the ball out when he plays.

Despite what some say about him, he’s straight back in when he’s fit. 

Ground 3 points out again in testing circumstances.

Back it up with 3 more on Saturday (I don't think Carlisle will trouble us nearly as much as Stevenage did last night) and then a couple of weeks to get injured bodies back to fitness is ideal.

Performance not great at all last night but it's the last 2 matches are the kind of games we've lost or dropped points in the past under Evatt.

In a good position with 2 more home games to come up next.

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Aye, he should have volleyed it after his first touch instead of taking another. It's a fucking disgrace.

Early contender for Goal of the Season. Brilliant from Sheehan. He had a great 2nd half. Thomason had a pretty good game and deserves to start more. His booking? Didn’t even look a foul from our viewpoint.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Stevenage were massively better than I expected but I’m not sure they have the quality to continue to get results playing like that, all up and under. Under the circumstances I thought we did really well to contain them and I don’t think we’ll have a more physical battle all season. I do think that Evatt needs to teach George how to tackle better because it’s his clumsiness that’s the problem. He’s turning into a terrific player and some of his passing is sublime so if he can get that right who knows how high he can go. So for me 3 very well earned points and definitely a goal of many seasons for Josh and Jack.

5 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Thomason had a pretty good game and deserves to start more. His booking? Didn’t even look a foul from our viewpoint.

Where was your viewpoint from?  Burger King?

The lad went past him and despite there being three other defenders in front of him he blatantly tripped him up, needlessly.  You'll not see a more obvious yellow card.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, barryk32 said:

Casimiro yellow card is like printing money.  I reckon he's done alright career wise.  If we had more players like him he wouldnt need to do it on his own.

We scored our third and he was there absolutely fucking blasting everyone.  Our 8-1 the other day, were we 6 up when we conceded?  He went off his fucking head.  He's a winner and will strive to win no matter what.

10 hours ago, barryk32 said:

Fair enough, we'll disregard the other 143 yellows as we're only counting the last dozen games.

Back him on the pitch and back him for the yellow at the bookies.

As far as my memory serves theres no second yellows or reds.

If he's that wank why are we arsed he'll miss a few games a season.

First name on the team sheet for me

I agree with the overall sentiment, he does need to be a bit more careful though, as some of the yellows are readily avoided.

That said, I think he'll learn and experience will see him reduce the avoidable ones.

Dunno what folk think, but Dempsey hasn't quite been at his best, and him running on all cylinders might also see fewer yellow cards elsewhere.

1 hour ago, anewman said:

I’m old fat and unfit with a bad knee(have I mentioned that before) but I’m confident that I could make a better strike partner for Dion than the other lad who started alongside him. 

The only thing you would be good for is picking up the cones, with all due respect.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, desperado said:

I thought we missed him massively yesterday.

There’s no way those front 3 would have won the amount of ball they did if Santos was playing and If Santos is left 1 on 1 for their first goal I don’t think the striker wins that battle.

We are also more composed and less risky in our passing and bringing the ball out when he plays.

Despite what some say about him, he’s straight back in when he’s fit. 

Definitely straight back in but our results never seem to suffer when he's out which I think is testament to the strength we have in defence 

I don't think he's as pivotal as Dempsey or Charles but he's still a key part of the spine 

apart from wigan, which looks like a fluke result looking at the table, they were probably the best side we've played this season, they were the better side for most parts of that game. didn't help that the ref was giving them absolutely everything, all they needed was a nudge to fall over and the ref bought it every single time.

Thought we missed Santos, their number 20 won everything in the air and think would've prevented that first goal had he been the covering centre back.

didn't play to the best of our abilities but dug in deep and got the three points again. we're third after 10 games, so not a bad start to the season, could've been better but could've been worse but overall we're up there with a game in hand on most of the teams below us