Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (a)

mattbwfc19

9 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Whilst correct in what you’re saying I must add in years gone past and in higher divisions it’s always been a steady 800/900 to London very rarely breaking 1k

now seeing 2 consecutive Charlton trips & reading comfortably passing that, must say though that’s across the board for many clubs you wouldn’t think there’s a cost of living crisis for football fans 

When we played there in 1993, just after promotion (it felt like we'd "made it" at the time, playing a biggish club like Charlton), it was our 2nd away game of season after 2 draws.  We lost 3-0 and the crowd was 7,573.  Presume at least 1k from Bolton as we'd taken at least 3k to Grimsby on day one.  

There was a time in the Prem when that away end, which isn't huge, was split in two with Charlton fans in half of it.

I ended up watching some goals from that era and I forgot Mark Fish scored against us, and in the same match Claus Jensen assisted.  I think Andy Todd played for them that day too.

55 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

When we played there in 1993, just after promotion (it felt like we'd "made it" at the time, playing a biggish club like Charlton), it was our 2nd away game of season after 2 draws.  We lost 3-0 and the crowd was 7,573.  Presume at least 1k from Bolton as we'd taken at least 3k to Grimsby on day one.  

There was a time in the Prem when that away end, which isn't huge, was split in two with Charlton fans in half of it.

I ended up watching some goals from that era and I forgot Mark Fish scored against us, and in the same match Claus Jensen assisted.  I think Andy Todd played for them that day too.

Always a happy hunting ground IIRC in the early 2000's , I remember Youri's brace and us going mental . Loved them days.

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Was at that game. We had a bit of an injury crisis in central defence and ended up playing David Burke there, got hammered 3-0. It was our second away game that season having drawn 0-0  at that Grimsby fixture on the opening day. Our previous away game at that level was 10 years before in the infamous 4-1 defeat at the Valley when we got relegated (full match on You Tube nowadays) 

Memory a bit hazy but I'd guess at not far away from 1,000 on at the Valley in August 93.  In 1982 probably only 500 but that You Tube footage reveals Bolton fans in the home ends too! 

Off topic but some of the away followings in the PL were very low, when we were really punching.

I was on a website the other day and the draw away at Everton when they equalised in the last minute through Beckford was shown as 550.

There was less than 1000 at Liverpool on NYD under BSA when we were pushing for CL.

I’ll try to find a link. 

The followings at Reading and Charlton tomorrow are very impressive. 

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Went around 94 sneekes smashed a 30yarder in 

I went to Southend in Sep 94 and Sneekes smashed a 25 yarder in, right in front of us.  He could shoot, none of this trying to place it weakly with the inside of the foot, just smash it.  (But we lost 2-1).

4 days earlier I was at Ipswich, stayed down between games.  They were still in the Prem, we knocked them out of League Cup 3-0 (McAteer, McGinlay, Tomo).  No resting players for cup ties then, that was the season we got to the League Cup Final and returned to Wembley the next month to win promotion v Reading.  As good and enjoyable a season as any I've had the pleasure of seeing.

25 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I went to Southend in Sep 94 and Sneekes smashed a 25 yarder in, right in front of us.  He could shoot, none of this trying to place it weakly with the inside of the foot, just smash it.  (But we lost 2-1).

4 days earlier I was at Ipswich, stayed down between games.  They were still in the Prem, we knocked them out of League Cup 3-0 (McAteer, McGinlay, Tomo).  No resting players for cup ties then, that was the season we got to the League Cup Final and returned to Wembley the next month to win promotion v Reading.  As good and enjoyable a season as any I've had the pleasure of seeing.

His first at Charlton was pure class, shrugged a challenge off in the centre and drove it before smashing it in

Wasn’t his second a deflection?  I’m sure someone can find a clip 

Edited by radcliffe white

27 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Off topic but some of the away followings in the PL were very low, when we were really punching.

I was on a website the other day and the draw away at Everton when they equalised in the last minute through Beckford was shown as 550.

There was less than 1000 at Liverpool on NYD under BSA when we were pushing for CL.

I’ll try to find a link. 

The followings at Reading and Charlton tomorrow are very impressive. 

Yes, there was a strange lethargy about away games in that period.  We complain about anything above £25 these days, but we were paying that 20 years ago, and more, and none of this £8 for kids or whatever.  Wasn't Blackburn £30 in the championship when they had Souness?  We charged away fans about £35 for Cat A games here so likely to be similar for some aways especially in London or Man U.  Going to the big grounds seemed to lose an appeal after 3 or 4 visits, paying top prices knowing how outnumbered we were going to be.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, there was a strange lethargy about away games in that period.  We complain about anything above £25 these days, but we were paying that 20 years ago, and more, and none of this £8 for kids or whatever.  Wasn't Blackburn £30 in the championship when they had Souness?  We charged away fans about £35 for Cat A games here so likely to be similar for some aways especially in London or Man U.  Going to the big grounds seemed to lose an appeal after 3 or 4 visits, paying top prices knowing how outnumbered we were going to be.

I’ve got a framed pic in my Office when we won 2-1 at Southampton in April 2004.

£24 a ticket & no kids prices in those days so it was £48 for me and my 6 year old.

Scandalous looking back.

Now, quite rightly there’s all sorts of bands for different age groups.

17 minutes ago, woolli said:

Youris overhead kick was the catalyst for staying up,we won 2-1, didnt we?

Yeah we deffo won 2-1. 

Anyone remember the league cup away game we lost in midweek. Jimmy Floyd hasselbaink scored for them in a 1-0 win. Allardyce played a very weak rotated team, including the postman Jeff Smith. Remember Ian Walker being in goal. 

Edited by Arrested development

8 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Yeah we deffo won 2-1. 

Anyone remember the league cup away game we lost in midweek. Jimmy Floyd hasselbaink scored for them in a 1-0 win. Allardyce played a very weak rotated team, including the postman Jeff Smith. Remember Ian Walker being in goal. 

I remember going to the the 0-0 game tea-time May 2003.

We so needed that point as others had already played.

I’m talking about Southampton btw.

Edited by captainmed

Aside from maybe the depths of the Championship relegation seasons I think our away attendances have been really good on the whole since relegation from the PL.

That first season down we took loads everywhere and I really noticed an increase in groups of younger people going all over, who are now 10 years older and we seem to have retained a lot of them which is great.

Perhaps even more of awayday fan culture at the moment too which might not have been as strong when we were at our best in PL. I was 18-23 when we were going through that period and I don't remember the same general "pull" to go everywhere as there is now. Social media peer pressure may be a thing too, FOMO etc.

I keep thinking imagine the buzz if we were in Europe around this time. We'd take even more than we did then!

Anyway I'm rambling, just excited for tomorrow 😂

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Went around 94 sneekes smashed a 30yarder in 

Asked his daughter out that weekend, she was in my year at school (Think everyone else did too) We were on a residential course in Wales and the buzz among all the Bolton fans when the score and scorer came up on teletext in the common room was mad.

She said no.

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Asked his daughter out that weekend, she was in my year at school (Think everyone else did too) We were on a residential course in Wales and the buzz among all the Bolton fans when the score and scorer came up on teletext in the common room was mad.

She said no.

Did the Mack put her off😀

13 minutes ago, captainmed said:

I remember going to the the 0-0 game tea-time May 2003.

We so needed that point as others had already played.

I’m talking about Southampton btw.

Yes, I remember watching it in the Beehive, 5.30 KO, it was sheer agony for 90 minutes, the difference under Allardyce was that we could play crap, ride our luck and not lose away.  In the last 15 years or so, if we play crap away, we lose, we don't get "fortunate" clean sheets.  

The last 3 aways that season, there was only 1 goal!  Scored by Chelsea, followed by two 0-0s.  Different times!