Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Blackpool

gonzo

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The only bantz me or my lads haven't been able to escape is how utterly shite and flat our support was till we scored.

Must admit they are right, it was strangely quiet and I'm still not sure why. 

Probably due to the fact that every single person I spoke to during the week and before the game in fanzone were expecting us to crumble due to reasons well discussed on here as well. Anybody confident going into that game was definitely in the minority. 

Made it all the sweeter though when that thunderbolt hit the back of the net. 

5 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'd imagine if we started well then the atmosphere would've been different.  As it was, the first half was pretty turgid.

It was bouncing after George scored right up until the end of the game.

That sounds the epitome of "you only sing when you're winning" to be fair!

The same doesn't apply to away games, but its a totally different dynamic.

11 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'd imagine if we started well then the atmosphere would've been different.  As it was, the first half was pretty turgid.

It was bouncing after George scored right up until the end of the game.

Aye you're right. 

When you've got Santos stood on the ball for 5 minutes at a time its hard to get going.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye you're right. 

When you've got Santos stood on the ball for 5 minutes at a time its hard to get going.

The other 9 outfield players being stood around like statues didn't help either.

Most of the crowd noise in the first half near me was just folk shouting 'fucking move for him!' as the player with the ball looked hopelessly for a player to pass to.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

The only bantz me or my lads haven't been able to escape is how utterly shite and flat our support was till we scored.

Just tell em you don’t need to remember that far back and go to high 5 em but do that thing where you stroke your hair.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

It was very noticeable, probably as explained above, due to the nervousness and anxiety of both our record going into these games and the 1st half being very much a case of being cagey and not over committing. 

That said I didn’t hold back when the geezer behind me was happy to keep quiet when me and a few others were trying to get it going, yet he was very willing to exercise his voice chords every time Vic didn’t hold it up (which unfortunately meant I heard him far too often to keep quiet).

What is it with some folk? I honestly think he was getting some kind of balance in his life venting his anger and giving Vic a load of grief 

• Site Supporter

All Away fans think the opposition Home support is shite. By the very nature of it, they've got a higher concentration of die-hards, and more incentive to make some noise. So fucking what. All that matters is the score at the end of the day.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

All Away fans think the opposition Home support is shite. By the very nature of it, they've got a higher concentration of die-hards, and more incentive to make some noise. So fucking what. All that matters is the score at the end of the day.

Get your point but it did seem incredibly flat compared to the Wigan shitshow. It was rocking untill they scored.

Fuck em anyway. It was bouncing after scored and Im not 14.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Get your point but it did seem incredibly flat compared to the Wigan shitshow. It was rocking untill they scored.

Fuck em anyway. It was bouncing after scored and Im not 14.

It was even flatter againt Carlisle. I reckon the atmosphere will improve as the season progresses and people start genuinely believing we're in the running for an automatic promotion place. It is slowly turning.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Maybe having an extra 5k home fans who are “Big match Bobbys”  doesn’t actually help.

I remember in the premier league when our stadium was almost full, sometimes all you could hear was the away fans.

Our away support is as vocal as anyones.

Quality over quantity.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

It's because folk were worried about another big crowd bumming 

Away fans always pump it up. Normally in the first 10 mins. Then, more often than not, its never that intense. Unless they score that is. Unless it's a massive fixture then home fans have always took a bit of waking up. Maybe it's because of the familiarity of the surroundings and the all seater aspects of a modern stadia 🤔 I thought Stevenage made a din given their small numbers this season.

Edited by Underpants

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Blackpool weren’t great , I’d have fired back Fleetwood were better without a hint of a smirk. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

Away fans always pump it up. Normally in the first 10 mins. Then, more often than not, its never that intense. Unless they score that is. Unless it's a massive fixture then home fans have always took a bit of waking up. Maybe it's because of the familiarity of the surroundings and the all seater aspects of a modern stadia 🤔 I thought Stevenage made a din given their small numbers this season.

IMO An away game is a day out for most folk where you aim to get as much enjoyment out of the day outside of the match, the footy is a part of the experience and a good result only adds to the day.

Whereas home games are part of the routine. Drive in at the same time, park in the same spot, do the same walk to the same seat, watch the game, head back to the car and sit in the same queue as always to head home. So a good result is the be all and end all for most.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The way to get Bolton fans noisy (it may apply everywhere, but certainly here) is for them to have a reason to feel hard done by.

A bad foul against, a bad refereeing decision and up we go. Always has been.

I do miss timing how long into a match it would be before we'd get "we want a ref !!"

Pretty much the same all over.

Commentary on Chelsea/City the other day said it was unusual that the atmosphere was so good for a Premier league game.

All crowds respond to incidents on the pitch.

I think Saturday was a bit worse because trepidation was trumping expectation, with a fairly measured approach on the pitch also contributing.

Come Exeter the higher expectation could lead to frustration and exasperation if we don't score fairly early.

All part of the fun! 😁

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

18 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The way to get Bolton fans noisy (it may apply everywhere, but certainly here) is for them to have a reason to feel hard done by.

A bad foul against, a bad refereeing decision and up we go. Always has been.

I do miss timing how long into a match it would be before we'd get "we want a ref !!"

I'd forgotten the chant of "We want a ref". How sedate and polite compared to now. 

.... although thinking back to some other things that happened on the terraces in the 70s it definitely wasn't sedate or polite!!