Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

When I go abroad....

wanderer1984

• Site Supporter
Just now, globaldiver said:

So many lovely parts of our country.

If you get the chance, try the far north west of Scotland, Ullapool upwards. Seen a bit of the world, but that’s my favourite.

The west coast of Scotland and round to the Caledonian canal is as good as it gets anywhere on earth.

I’m ignoring the midgies for now.

• Site Supporter

We're no different to many other western places.

Share of cunts and twatspatulas.

Weather isn't as bad as sometimes portrayed, and some tourists may welcome a cooler break from intense heat back home.

Plenty to do accounting for all tastes.

Personally, I'm glad a number of Brits go abroad for holidays-makes some of our places that bit less occupied.

• Moderators

Back in the 90s my brother lived in Lille 

Went to visit for a week on Eurostar 

Was decent enough, I just got pissed a lot as getting served underage  

On way back passport control asked what our business in Lille was 

Said holiday 

They said why would you go to Lille on holiday? 

There's probably loads of folk in France wondering why anyone would go to France on holiday

I know a lot of europeans/aussies/'muricans/south 'muricans who live over here and they do so to escape their shitty little towns in France/Spain/Finland/Turkey/Mexico/Brazil/Argentina/Bolivia etc etc to live and work in one of the leading cities in the world. Last week woman i work with from Napoli said she wouldn't go back to Italy for anything and is very glad her kids have dual naitionality - lots more options for them in London.

Anyway, it's not about saying one place is 'better' than the other. Its the daft contention that was made that we have nothing to visit in the UK and everyone comes over has a 1970s camping holiday.

16 minutes ago, Zico said:

Back in the 90s my brother lived in Lille 

Went to visit for a week on Eurostar 

Was decent enough, I just got pissed a lot as getting served underage  

On way back passport control asked what our business in Lille was 

Said holiday 

They said why would you go to Lille on holiday? 

There's probably loads of folk in France wondering why anyone would go to France on holiday

Saw The Clash in Lille

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure why this belief that food is shite pervades neither.

Can find pretty much whatever you want.

Within any food type, there will be good and bad. Some chippies do great fish and chips, some don't! :)

We now have some of the best resturants in Europe. 

Anyway, as I mentioned before these places are lovely - not too expensive to stay in for a weekend break - they have them in a lot of places now (all down south I'm afraid) but amazing local food, great accomodation.

https://www.thepighotel.com/at-bridge-place/

1 hour ago, Spider said:

It whiffs of someone who’s only ever “holidayed” in some awful, peasant-laden caravan park using vouchers out of The Sun.

probably thinks a mile long stretch of full English breakfasts, €2 pints of San Miguel and karaoke/bingo bars is “culture” overseas.

Talked to a Spanish waiter maybe a couple of times. Chest swelling with pride as he slurred on about Britannia ruling the waves and how we once sank their ships.

I imagine true English culture would bore him stiff. “Once you’ve seen one castle you’ve fuckin seen ‘em all. Where’s the pub?!?!?”

Ex Wife did that  Vouchers out the sun thing 

about 20 years ago 

fuck me we went   PWLHELI  Haven 

got there at about 8pm was dark seen the Chelly type thing 

said get back in the car we are going home  

Took 3hrs get there she said we can go home in the morning 

Anyway we went Abersoch  what a lovley place 

so ended up going there 

Done those sun vouchers a few times - great weekends down in Dymchurch. We did avoid the bar after the first night as it was slightly odd. But the static was great, loads to see in the area and Hythe is lovely. Did one near Hastings, did the whole Senlac Hill thing and some great villages round there.

Although this post does smack a bit conversley little englander. Went to a site just outside Paris when the kids were little, did two days at disneyland but went for a walk in the local village it was beautiful. Went to the camp office asked if there was any further info, they laughed and said we normally don't put in this info for the British and Dutch visitors, as they just want disneyland, beer and the pool. Found out we were in the heartlands of what was called the Grand Morin - known as The Valley of The Painters, did two days going round was the best part of the trip, getting served great food by grumpy French people.

• Members
29 minutes ago, little whitt said:

Ex Wife did that  Vouchers out the sun thing 

about 20 years ago 

fuck me we went   PWLHELI  Haven 

got there at about 8pm was dark seen the Chelly type thing 

said get back in the car we are going home  

Took 3hrs get there she said we can go home in the morning 

Anyway we went Abersoch  what a lovley place 

so ended up going there 

"Did you have any trouble there?"

"Only when I had to spell it"

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Whiffs of Johnny1990 this 

"The UK is shit 

At least I admit it 

You all know it 

But you won't say it

At least I say it how it is" 

Can't beat a bit of Northumberland with all the castles and beaches 

Not for sunbathing mind, just walking

But would you pay for flights and accommodation to spend two weeks in Northumberland?

I'm not saying everywhere is shite, of course it's not. Maybe hills, walls and damp weather ain't my thing when looking to book somewhere.

Maybe I'm spoilt because of where I live. Loads of beaches all within 15 miles, the nearest a 2 mile drive. Loads of castles too.

3 hours ago, Spider said:

It whiffs of someone who’s only ever “holidayed” in some awful, peasant-laden caravan park using vouchers out of The Sun.

probably thinks a mile long stretch of full English breakfasts, €2 pints of San Miguel and karaoke/bingo bars is “culture” overseas.

Talked to a Spanish waiter maybe a couple of times. Chest swelling with pride as he slurred on about Britannia ruling the waves and how we once sank their ships.

I imagine true English culture would bore him stiff. “Once you’ve seen one castle you’ve fuckin seen ‘em all. Where’s the pub?!?!?”

Did the sun holidays a few times when the kid was little. Couldn't afford much more back then.

Never went abroad when growing up. Camping and caravan holidays only.

Last couple of years I've been to Florence, Garda, Venice and Rome. 2 week road trip stopping in hotels, air b&b etc. Properly the best holiday I've ever had.

Gran Canaria Puerto Rico. Thought is was shit. Nice weather though.

Crete Chania. Old town was superb Definitely go back.

Lisbon booked for next May then wanna book a Scandinavian holiday. Finland maybe.

So no, I'm not that type at all.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention your beloved white patio furniture.

• Site Supporter

We did one of those Sun holidays once to Prestatyn when the eldest was about 3 so a good 15 years ago. It was an absolute shithole. The chalet was surprisingly OK but there was a huge family group on an adjacent block that would be screaming and shouting to each other what seemed like 24 hours a day. We lasted 3 days then fucked off home.

46 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Did the sun holidays a few times when the kid was little. Couldn't afford much more back then.

Never went abroad when growing up. Camping and caravan holidays only.

Last couple of years I've been to Florence, Garda, Venice and Rome. 2 week road trip stopping in hotels, air b&b etc. Properly the best holiday I've ever had.

Gran Canaria Puerto Rico. Thought is was shit. Nice weather though.

Crete Chania. Old town was superb Definitely go back.

Lisbon booked for next May then wanna book a Scandinavian holiday. Finland maybe.

So no, I'm not that type at all.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention your beloved white patio furniture.

Where have you holidayed in the UK?

You do seem to be basing your experience on the holidays you had as a kid/when you had no money.

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

But would you pay for flights and accommodation to spend two weeks in Northumberland?

I'm not saying everywhere is shite, of course it's not. Maybe hills, walls and damp weather ain't my thing when looking to book somewhere.

Maybe I'm spoilt because of where I live. Loads of beaches all within 15 miles, the nearest a 2 mile drive. Loads of castles too.

I went to Lisbon and it pissed it down every day 

Was lovely back home though 

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Where have you holidayed in the UK?

You do seem to be basing your experience on the holidays you had as a kid/when you had no money.

London last May. Booked 3 nights over the playoff weekend in hope. Never been to the sights before and was pleasantly surprised.

Because my family are spread out, a holiday in the UK is usually based near them. So, Blackpool, Lakes, York, Whitby, Skeggy, Knaresborough, Leicester, Waterford

Try to get to 2/3 of those places once a year.

Usually go camping around Pembrokeshire these days.