Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (A)

TrickyTrotter

58 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We all look at games differently but personally I don’t buy this vic does the hard work, wears defences out etc

for a biggish attacking player his hold up play/first touch is pretty poor and that’s the massive difference with him & Bod, many times Vic can’t hold of the ball which then in turn gets recycled towards our half

so the question people will ask if that bad why are we doing so well? for me it’s simply down to others really stepping up Maghoma, George & Sheehan in particular and in some ways Vic has become a passenger offering very little

but like I’ve said many times it will work for this league and that’s the important part 

pretty much my thoughts to on Vic

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Pompey only need a draw in their game Saturday to go over us but we have a six goal difference on Oxford so it’s unlikely they could move over us

Correct 

I originally thought they were playing on Sat in the league. 

Edited by captainmed

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

We all look at games differently but personally I don’t buy this vic does the hard work, wears defences out etc

for a biggish attacking player his hold up play/first touch is pretty poor and that’s the massive difference with him & Bod, many times Vic can’t hold of the ball which then in turn gets recycled towards our half

so the question people will ask if that bad why are we doing so well? for me it’s simply down to others really stepping up Maghoma, George & Sheehan in particular and in some ways Vic has become a passenger offering very little

but like I’ve said many times it will work for this league and that’s the important part 

I just don't buy that a team goes on the sort of run we are on carrying a player. Certainly not without it causing issues in the team which would start to become obvious. When he scored Saturday he got a great response from the players.

He is limited but I just think he is giving more to the team than people give credit for. As much as I like Bod I just don't think starting him will work as well as people think, but happy to be proven wrong.

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Not to be argumentative for the sake of it - genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on the same question I put to Johnny earlier - @Stig @radcliffe white @LH white.  

Why do you think Evatt isn’t starting JDB in league games at the moment? 

Few things he’s probably very guarded over his injury record and wants to go cautiously and I do believe IE will have been told to get a tune out of Vic & also dan as we paid good money

28 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Few things he’s probably very guarded over his injury record and wants to go cautiously and I do believe IE will have been told to get a tune out of Vic & also dan as we paid good money

Do you seriously believe someone is telling IE who to play ? 

17 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

In a polite way, like any business when someone spends money it needs to be justified especially when you haven’t got an awful lot

But Shirley us getting promoted is far more important to the owners than Evatt playing someone they paid money for??

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

As an aside THIS appeared in my emails today.

Screenshot_20231129_095959_Gmail.jpg

I’m intrigued. Can’t open it maybe because I’m on holiday. Presumably it’s from a stalker with no life?

How do they know your email btw?

Edited by Wanderlust

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

In a polite way, like any business when someone spends money it needs to be justified especially when you haven’t got an awful lot

We're in the promotion places. Some teams maybe coveting Evatt. No way will anyone from above be questioning the team.

Evatt looked after Kachunga last season, and defended him. At the end of the season, he still let him go.

I've no doubt he can see what we do, and will be working on it. I do think though, that if he felt he wasn't contributing then he'd cut his losses.

We'll see at the end of the season/window as to his thoughts. 

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

i dont think evatt will be asked to justify anything, hes top of the football tree and they will agree a budget

he might get asked why the fuck we arent 20 points clear, but anything within budget is up to him

and i definitely dont think for a minute hes picking players to prove a point - not saying you have said he is, btw - like some say.  Its usually nobs who reckon managers pick players cos they have favourites, Jones for example.  Course they have favourites and its the ones they think are best for the team

like ive said before, when we signed vic, it wasnt about his goals, it was about his pressing stats

and again, i aint gota  clue how they measure it, but they do and he was top in the league and i'm guessing he still is

A fairly even 1st half but we got well on top 2nd half ( which is a bit of a pattern in recent games ) with Sheehan & Maghoma getting into the game & I thought the goal was coming & deserved , but it's still a good point.

Baxter didn't have much to do but made 2 tremendous saves, but MOTM to Thomasson who was the driving force in the 2nd half.....& managed to avoid a 2nd booking.

& Oxford, obviously better than Exeter but I thought P/boro & Blackpool were better than them. Derby seem to be creeping up as well.

6 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

& Oxford, obviously better than Exeter but I thought P/boro & Blackpool were better than them. Derby seem to be creeping up as well.

If we can keep our noses in front thenmaybe a good thing a few teams behind that are much of muchness and taking points of each other?

Wouldn't like a three horse race like last year for autos if we don't need too.

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

I get the idea, but once we have paid the money they are just players. 

The idea of playing someone at the expense of the team is counter intuitive surely ? Dan and Vic are both frustrating as I keep thinking at some point they will start scoring more but I am sure IE will have access to loads more data than us and keeps playing him. 

2 hours ago, desperado said:

Not to be argumentative for the sake of it - genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on the same question I put to Johnny earlier - @Stig @radcliffe white @LH white.  

I won't include injury record in this as my argument is he should be starting a good chunk of games, not all. So I think it's probably a few reasons:

- Evatt thinks Vic links up better with Charles. I don't see that at all as often they're going for the same space and Vic can't hold the ball up as well

- not wanting to change a winning team. I do understand this attitude but don't agree with it when there's a better option for someone not playing well

- Vic is the marquee signing so he'll want to play him to justify the cost. Similar with Dan

- general Evatt stubbornness

5 hours ago, desperado said:

You're very insistent on this 😀 I think the discussion has been well discussed by others that have made some valid points, for/against both players.  All good stuff.

Whilst I would prefer to see JDB start I get that IE has his reasons and respect them.  What they are, I have no idea, if its because Vic does more pressing, I find that a bit weak TBH, there have to be other reasons (fitness etc as you suggest) for literally never starting a player that looks as good as JDB.

Watching the games, to me it looks like an exaggeration to say Vic presses more than others, for one we have the ball most of the time in this league, how much pressing do we have to do, and its not as if he's lightning quick. Surely any benefit is far outweighed by the loss of possession and extra defending we have to do as a direct result?

But I'm just a fan with opinions that are relatively uninformed, its one of the thing that adds interest/debate, there wouldn't be too much to talk about if we all reverted to "in IE we trust" /  "trust the process" / "we've won some games so there's nothing to be questioned" (they are valid, I'm not saying those opinions shouldn't be aired!).  Its all just idle chat but yes we accept that we don't have the inside info IE has and he will have his reasons.