Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FA Cup 2023/24

gonzo

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Abiding memory of Luton is 1972? waiting for their train to pull into Trinity St and a few hundred of them piled off dressed like the gang in A Clockwork Orange, some wearing bowlers, boots and eye patches painted on. Trouble all down Manny Rd.

Sure it was 72? I remember this and didn’t start going to Saturday games until the first season in the second division  (73/74)

Edit: We’d played them at home in the 72/73 season in FACup but I wouldn’t have attended. Did it become a fashion for a few seasons?

Edited by MickyD
Added FACup info

34 minutes ago, tomski said:

Agree. Same division draws are boring. 

think i'd go for it to, all for more money filtering down the leagues 

arsenal liverpool is a twice the year job on sky anyway 

part of the reason the magics gone from the cup is these all prem ties getting the tv spots

13 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

We'll finish above Luton in the league next season, this wouldn't be a huge upset if we win - which may put us on TV as it is a distinct possibility 

I remember that being said when we played Bradford in the 90’s. We were near the bottom of the Prem and they were near the top of league 1 or whatever it was called then and pundits put it down as a potential upset.

We won easily 3-0 despite Wayne Jacob’s being better than Messi for them apparently.

I don’t think it’ll be as easy as some are saying.

10 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Abiding memory of Luton is 1972? waiting for their train to pull into Trinity St and a few hundred of them piled off dressed like the gang in A Clockwork Orange, some wearing bowlers, boots and eye patches painted on. Trouble all down Manny Rd.

Football hooligans with painted eye patches?

The seventies were fucking odd

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Zico said:

Yeah because if we win it won't be an upset really, with all due respect to Luton

If Utd lose it would be a massive upset for the club, and something that folk would tune in hoping to see

That would be the size of the upset though, not the chance of it happening. 

• Members
11 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

One sided trouble from where I was standing. They took a right mauling. Those white overalls didn't take to well to claret splashes. The lad calling the shots for them was immaculate mind. Crombie, the full works - not dressed like the clowns all around him. He was cute enough to jump into a black cab near Orlando Bridge and then out the other side to try to escape up those cobbled back streets close to where the away coaches used to park. This did not end well.

• Members
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Football hooligans with painted eye patches?

The seventies were fucking odd

Substitute the word 'odd' with 'exciting', 'menacing', 'mad', 'mental' and you would be getting warm. 1969 to 1974/5 was the pinnacle if you enjoyed the adrenalin rush. Before the days of CCTV, super snitch shithouses and sanitised football the build up to match day throughout the week was everything. A privilege to have lived through it.

Seems wankers get their kicks these days by running to stewards or policemen because someone used a 'nasty' word. Must be some adrenalin rush must that.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Substitute the word 'odd' with 'exciting', 'menacing', 'mad', 'mental' and you would be getting warm. 1969 to 1974/5 was the pinnacle if you enjoyed the adrenalin rush. Before the days of CCTV, super snitch shithouses and sanitised football the build up to match day throughout the week was everything. A privilege to have lived through it.

Seems wankers get their kicks these days by running to stewards or policemen because someone used a 'nasty' word. Must be some adrenalin rush must that.

Each to their own, I asked you about this before, but not for me.

Can understand the camaraderie bit, but that ought to be available in a less damaging environment. 

The start of football decay for me- if we look at the drop in crowds that we had as the seventies gave way to the eighties. 

Much better attended now, even if we miss the terraces.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, deeane Koontz said:

Let's not turn the Fa cup into predictable international/champions league horseshit. Were at the end everything suits the big teams. Luck

of the draw that's the whole point of it. 

On this I agree. Unlike the international competition where it would be impossible to draw each round.

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I keep saying to my lad that one wrong “word” and it’s a ban and your job is in jeopardy too.

It’s bordering on ridiculous.

2 hours ago, deeane Koontz said:

Let's not turn the Fa cup into predictable international/champions league horseshit. Were at the end everything suits the big teams. Luck of the draw that's the whole point of it. 

Agree 100%  

I also think there is absolutely fuck all chance our game gets on TV, I just can't see any appeal whatsoever, to the vieiwng masses.

Wigan v Man Utd will 100% be on, and so will Arsenal v Liverpool. Other than that, probably City v Huddersfield, then take your pick, but I do suspect we'll be well down the list