Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (H)

Felixflybad

That from start to finish was a shit show. The subs from Evatt were baffling, not just the Charles one as well. To bring on 3 subs and change a third of the team when we were in the ascendancy just killed the flow. Even before santos was sent off we didn’t have a shot, we lacked effort and fight. Evatt continues to struggle when it comes to the crunch. At the start of this week we could have gone top, now we are 9 points off top and sit in 5th. Lots of work to do 

So fucking frustrating.

Just when you start believing they crumble.

Not half way through the season and it’s 3 home defeats against shit teams.

Double that and you can forget the play-offs even.

I said I’d take  8 points from the next 4 but that included a win today.

Leyton Orient will be more difficult as they’ve only lost 2 away games all season.

Thats a must win now. 

Edited by captainmed

Only Dempsey lit my wick tonight. 

Too much dependency on the gun players in this squad. 

And it's been said a million times, better wing backs needed in this system.. we've getten a right midfielder and a clogger at left back, and just one right wing back based on league selections...... Both lwb don't float me boat, the rwb, is a steady 5/6 outta 10 every week. Looks petrefied against anyone half decent. 

Not good enough and anyone that thinks if we slink in to the championship that they're good enough to progress are way out.

Upgrades January pls. That second goal was laughabley bad

Edited by auckland_bwfc

Santos was shocking from the KO, looked like Mondays performance was still on his mind. The Charles sub was baffling, one person you want on when a man down is DC. Wing backs need to work harder. Frustrating watching us still try and play “the Evatt way” when clarey it’s a lot harder with a player less. 

Calamitous first half. When our standards drop they drop massively, our crop of players are good for the level but seemingly need some on pitch guidance when they come up against it as it can go south really quickly.  We've lacked a couple of ready made leaders & a bit of physicality for ages to put together a real mentality of fight/consistency over a full season but continue to neglect that area. The money we did have to spend went on three players Dan/Will/CMG who may turn out good assets for the club but at present time have hardly started a league match between them all season.

Thing is with Santos, he’s the budget version of Van Dijk. He plays in such a nonchalant way that when he’s on top of his game and things are going well, he looks unreal and everyone (opposition) wonders why he’s in this division, it all looks too easy for him. However, when it isn’t going well, it makes him look slow and complacent, like he’s not switched on and has his head in the game. Van Dijk had a tough season last year (or was it year before) and all of a sudden the pundits were questioning all sorts about him and I see Santos in a league 1 version of that. Glad it’s only one game, because he’s essential for how we play but it does go on the relatively long list of fuck ups from him (the positive list far far outweighs it before anyone thinks I’m having a go).

That substitution of Charles is still the thing that is pissing me off the most about today though:

1st goal - a couple of mistakes in the phases before the goal but really it was just an unreal ball in and Marquis does what he’s done for a long time now. So be it, can happen

Sending off - a mistake from our best player. Covered it above but he’s still well in credit and mistakes in the split moment can happen

THAT FUCKING SUBSTITUTION - the sending off kind of helped us. They didn’t know whether to stick or twist, defend the 1-0 with 10 men behind the ball like they had been doing or try and actually play because they had the man advantage. We actually looked the better team and it was clear that a back 4 could cope and the midfield 3 with the 2 up top still worked from a formation perspective. When I saw Forester on the sideline I was just praying he wanted 2 genuine centre backs in a back 4 and would replace Jones or JDC. What he saw to suggest the right thing to do was go 5 at the back and bring off our top goal scorer is beyond me. Unlike the goal and sending off, he had time to think about and he got it completely wrong because he’s so stubbornly stuck in his ways.

2nd goal was another mistake but I was still fuming with the decision to care. I’d almost given up at that point anyway.

Have to win next Saturday, this can’t become a bad run otherwise we’ll be in a play off hunt again before we know it.

It was shit before the sending off.

Bod is never a starter in the memory of man, dont care what anyone says. Hes a luxury player and man off the bench. Hasnt got the minerals or physique to be a foil for a number 9.

Vic and Dion had us top of the league, theres was no reason to change it.

Sheehan was a massive miss, our only player who can put his foot on the ball and turn.

I think they'll understand the building of the pyramids before anyone understands that Charles substitution. Absolutely baffling. Same with the 3 that followed whilst we were well on top.

Just an all round shit day at the office and one to forget for the manager.

Love the bloke but fuck me every cunt on planet earth could see we needed 4 at the back and just go for it. 

Williams still mincing about with 1 second to go summed it all up.

Shite.

Need to move on quick.

Very hard to stomach days like today ... even after decades of stomaching days like today! 

The thing is to finish in the top 2 of any league you can't really afford to do this. There's a little more latitude for top six but top two is our aim. That's three home defeats now and two straight defeats. We needed a response after Monday and we got the opposite. None of those things are good signs.

Maybe we'll go on another six match winning streak and put it behind us. Hard not to be a sceptic when they show up like this in a game when they needed to show the ability to bounce back. Please prove me wrong BWFC. 

Santos is good for at least one brain fart a game but usually is good enough to recover today his fuck up was compounded by having to bring down his man to prevent 2-0 (not that it worked in the long run) as Baxter had come out of his goal to make himself available for the pass.

In his absence none of the back 3 covered themselves in glory. I understand keeping 5 at the back but of the forward 5 Dion was the last one I'd take off.

Just now, frank_spencer said:

Santos is good for at least one brain fart a game but usually is good enough to recover today his fuck up was compounded by having to bring down his man to prevent 2-0 (not that it worked in the long run) as Baxter had come out of his goal to make himself available for the pass.

In his absence none of the back 3 covered themselves in glory. I understand keeping 5 at the back but of the forward 5 Dion was the last one I'd take off.

Baxter was on walkabout, wandering around. I was watching him and it unfolded like a bad dream.

Most concerning thing about today is the flaky mentality well and truly rearing its head again. We'd had a few encouraging signs of improvement on that score in games since Carlisle but the mass drop off after Monday was alarming. 

Santos most obvious example but there were plenty of others. Toal had a tough night on Monday with that big Pompey lad and was awful today, Jones back to struggling again, Iredale exposed defensively, Dacres-Cogley a mare, Thomason looked tired, Morley let people run beyond him far too often

My worry after today was more teams (even moderate ones like Bristol) latching onto how Wigan and Portsmouth nullified us and preyed on our weaknesses. Bristol really weren't anything special but targeted areas in behind our wing backs, pulled Jones and Toal about, leaving Santos exposed to being outsmarted by a journeyman like Marquis. 

I could understand up to a point why he made the Charles sub, a text book coaching response based on wanting to keep it at 0-1 till last 10 mins then maybe go aggressive with last couple of changes to pinch a draw. Evatt couldn't legislate for the aberration that followed a minute later.

What irked me more was the robotic inflexibility of how we went about trying to equalise in that last 10 mins. Going into injury time we were still playing around at the back trying to manoeuvre a team with a spare man around. They were making a faff of defending the few crosses we put in, at that stage we might as well have put Toal up front and bashed it forward in the hope of a mistake or moment of rashness. 

A big load of collective bollocks to be found if we're to end up anywhere other than prepping for play-offs again

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Most concerning thing about today is the flaky mentality well and truly rearing its head again. We'd had a few encouraging signs of improvement on that score in games since Carlisle but the mass drop off after Monday was alarming. 

Santos most obvious example but there were plenty of others. Toal had a tough night on Monday with that big Pompey lad and was awful today, Jones back to struggling again, Iredale exposed defensively, Dacres-Cogley a mare, Thomason looked tired, Morley let people run beyond him far too often

My worry after today was more teams (even moderate ones like Bristol) latching onto how Wigan and Portsmouth nullified us and preyed on our weaknesses. Bristol really weren't anything special but targeted areas in behind our wing backs, pulled Jones and Toal about, leaving Santos exposed to being outsmarted by a journeyman like Marquis. 

I could understand up to a point why he made the Charles sub, a text book coaching response based on wanting to keep it at 0-1 till last 10 mins then maybe go aggressive with last couple of changes to pinch a draw. Evatt couldn't legislate for the aberration that followed a minute later.

What irked me more was the robotic inflexibility of how we went about trying to equalise in that last 10 mins. Going into injury time we were still playing around at the back trying to manoeuvre a team with a spare man around. They were making a faff of defending the few crosses we put in, at that stage we might as well have put Toal up front and bashed it forward in the hope of a mistake or moment of rashness. 

A big load of collective bollocks to be found if we're to end up anywhere other than prepping for play-offs again

Aye

Thats fair is that

We all (well, those of us who understand football know) what the plan is. Keep ball, tire the opposition and look for gaps.

Unfortunately, that’s not much use at the end of a game where you need a goal a man down.

Plan B doesn’t have to be revolutionary. It may be route One and pick up the pieces.

It’s Evatt’s main flaw. And one he needs to sort out sooner rather than later.

But he certainly deserves the chance to get there.

24 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Baxter was on walkabout, wandering around. I was watching him and it unfolded like a bad dream.

Baxter was doing exactly what evatt expects of him .
any other manger would be blaming the keeper as well for the goal  he was almost along  side santos when he fucked up

We have got away with one or two of those this season and you’re only a bad touch away from that every week at some point