Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fleetwood (A)

Leyther_Matt

Barnsley and Derby are emerging, Derby especially.

But we've won 15 out of 23 games. Nobody in League 1 has won more. We've been clinical in these two last away games and responded to those two bad defeats earlier in December. 

My worry is that Derby go out and strengthen with loads of short term Championship quality/pedigree signings.

Too much analysis: We're second with a game in hand on Pompey and an away record of 7-2-2. COYWM.

1 minute ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Loved that. 

2 years ago I don't think we do that tonight and Lincoln back to back. We just keep improving bit by bit. 

Fully expect a rolls Royce performance NYD against the mongrel mob. 4-0, cognac ...and cigars. 

I was just about to post the same - even last year I don’t think we win both those games, especially tonight’s in those conditions and looking so comfortable.

So much good about tonight but a couple to pick out:

- the defence looks top drawer at the moment. Having Santos back is huge but both Toal and Jones have looked really good in these last couple of games

- Dion is playing as well as I think he ever has for us. Not just his goalscoring, but all round play is quality - he’s full of confidence.

- The midfield seems to be as good regardless of which 3 are picked. I think in current form, the 3 that started tonight are our best but if I saw Maghoma or Morley start on NYD I wouldn’t be concerned in the slightest.

- GT is absolutely making me eat my words and I completely hold my hands up. I do still think he’s got his limitations against faster players because he’s slow off the mark, and I do think I was partially right with him not being a defensive mid (which Evatt spotted and moved him forwards) but I couldn’t see that he’d become this important to the team. Even as recently as a couple of months ago I was still unsure but his improvement game by game is so clear. Fair play to him and I’m very very happy to admit I was completely wrong.

Up the whites - we’ll finish top 2 with Derby, I just don’t know which way round!

Fleetwood are shite but we made a difficult game due to conditions on a non league ground look very comfortable where we'd have really struggled in the past seasons under the circumstances. Dempsey had a great game, nice individual goal from Dion, Rico bossed it easily & great to see Vic back on the scoresheet. Looking at our league fixtures we should be going on another run now because most of our hard games are at the back end of the season.

• Site Supporter

Only 3 shots in the second half!

Booo, barely a glo.. 😁

The GT debate- I think he and Dempsey do their best defensive worm by pressing early and winning it back as quickly as possible. 

We don't have a campo type.

In every league, the best teams win it back quickly and keep pressure on.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

- GT is absolutely making me eat my words and I completely hold my hands up. I do still think he’s got his limitations against faster players because he’s slow off the mark, and I do think I was partially right with him not being a defensive mid (which Evatt spotted and moved him forwards) but I couldn’t see that he’d become this important to the team. Even as recently as a couple of months ago I was still unsure but his improvement game by game is so clear. Fair play to him and I’m very very happy to admit I was completely wrong.

Up the whites - we’ll finish top 2 with Derby, I just don’t know which way round!

I think part of the GT decision was to play Sheehan or Morley deeper where they'd find space to distribute - but George has been great.

Where we'll finish will possibly be decided in the period from February 24th (Blackpool away) through March where we've got some really tough games in a short period of time against other contenders, mainly away, so we could do with piling up some scores on the doors before we go into it.

6 minutes ago, Deanu said:

Fleetwood are shite but we made a difficult game due to conditions on a non league ground look very comfortable where we'd have really struggled in the past seasons under the circumstances. Dempsey had a great game, nice individual goal from Dion, Rico bossed it easily & great to see Vic back on the scoresheet. Looking at our league fixtures we should be going on another run now because most of our hard games are at the back end of the season.

Fleetwood may well be shite but they got a draw at Pompey. So as you say, great performance. 

Think February is our toughest stretch, 7 games, including Blackpool and Wigan away.

Looking good though 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Only 3 shots in the second half!

Booo, barely a glo.. 😁

The GT debate- I think he and Dempsey do their best defensive worm by pressing early and winning it back as quickly as possible. 

We don't have a campo type.

In every league, the best teams win it back quickly and keep pressure on.

3 shots, 2 goals ?

Top striking that mate 😀 👍

16 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Barnsley and Derby are emerging, Derby especially.

But we've won 15 out of 23 games. Nobody in League 1 has won more. We've been clinical in these two last away games and responded to those two bad defeats earlier in December. 

My worry is that Derby go out and strengthen with loads of short term Championship quality/pedigree signings.

Too much analysis: We're second with a game in hand on Pompey and an away record of 7-2-2. COYWM.

Our away record must be the best after 11 games in donkeys years?  A superb effort, if there's an "away player of the season" to date, its Charles by a mile.

It feels like its going to be a real battle between 5 relative heavy weights: Pompey, us, Posh, Derby, Barnsley.  Stevenage and Oxford will compete for play offs but neither are going to finish top 2 IMO, but any of the other 5 might could well do.  Proper 6 pointers going to be happening most weeks.

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

GT is absolutely making me eat my words and I completely hold my hands up. I do still think he’s got his limitations against faster players because he’s slow off the mark, and I do think I was partially right with him not being a defensive mid (which Evatt spotted and moved him forwards) but I couldn’t see that he’d become this important to the team. Even as recently as a couple of months ago I was still unsure but his improvement game by game is so clear. Fair play to him and I’m very very happy to admit I was completely wrong.

You weren't wrong, Tomo has improved.  He was a bit of a liability with his inability to tackle/booking every game and losing possession.  Now he looks the business.  We all praise Charles, if he goes 20 games without a goal, we weren't wrong, he's just got worse!  We can only comment on what we see during games, its upto the manager to make decisions based on potential to improve.  I think Tomo is the most improved player I can recall in a Bolton shirt in 40 years.  Gone from a 5 out of 10 in Aug/Sep to a 7.5 or 8 IMO.  Dempsey was my first pick midfielder in August; Sheehan took over that spot in Sep/Oct, Maghoma in Nov, now its Tomo (I'll change my mind no doubt).

Edited by Johnnyrotten

4 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Only seven in the mix, at halfway, for the six auto and play off places, can see it being two from the 5 quoted above for autos. Oxford and Stevenage will be happy to stay the course well enough to scrap it out for 6th.

Jan window activity amongst that top 5 will be interesting

Think you are right cannot see any team coming out of the chasing pack, I agree transfer window will be key can see Derby signing a couple .