Burton (H)

Wanderlust

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I didn't even realise Stockton was playing until a few minutes from the end

He only came on in the 77th minute.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

And? Its thanks to an OG and it shouldn’t have been is all I’m saying.

The minute - nay, the second - we lose a game, you’ll be on here chirruping gleefully that “you saw it coming” and you’ve been “saying it all season” etc etc

You might be better of down at the Etihad where a team that cost £1.8billion scores ten goals a game.

First half they caused us a few problems at corners  and I thought Brayford was marshalling their team well ( as he usually does). Bit ironic he was involved in the OG. However we came out as worthy winners in the end . Vic was good ( he was definitely holding the ball up) and our midfield was just too strong. Happy new year.

Will take that anyday, 4 wins from 4 over the busy festive period.

Still won't change my mind on Williams and Morley, they're both incredibly light and weak in this team. 

Williams might be one of the worst passers of the ball I've seen in recent memory and also frustrates the hell out of me when he pulls out of 50/50s

Morley frustrates me even more, he's a young player that we've commited to, and apart from scoring 3/4 good goals, how many good games could you say that he's had over the past 2 seasons?

He doesn't do the ugly side, he doesn't score or provide, even his best trait which is passing hes not even good at that, almost gave them a goal.

Just appears to be a luxury player that looks great on a highlight reel of pinging 40 yard passes and scoring a free kick on Sky, when in reality, he's quite shit.

Thomason, Sheehan, Dempsey and Maghoma (who has been poor recently) are well ahead of him in midfield in my opinion.

Edited by Lostock Whites

Typical Burton, spoilers who'd have loved a 0-0, though i'd give them a bit of credit for some brave/desperate defensive blocks that saved them from the 4/5 or 6-0 we probably deserved..

Vic played his part, clumsy at times but still effective & we're a better team with him in it but MOTM between Thomason who's like 3 players in one & Cogley, who I thought had his best game for us. Him &  Williams will never be great defenders,  but give everything for the team ( unlike that tosser, John ) & are good players at this level.

EIEIEIfuckingO

5 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Will take that anyday, 4 wins from 4 over the busy festive period.

Still won't change my mind on Williams and Morley, they're both incredibly light and weak in this team. 

Morley frustrates me even more, he's a young player that we've commited to, and apart from scoring 3/4 good goals, how many good games could you say that he's had over the past 2 seasons?

He doesn't do the ugly side, he doesn't score or provide, even his best trait which is passing hes not even good at that, almost gave them a goal.

Just appears to be a luxury player that looks great on a highlight reel of pinging 40 yard passes and scoring a free kick, when in reality, he's quite shit.

Thomason, Sheehan, Dempsey and Maghoma (who has been poor recently) are well ahead of him in midfield in my opinion.

Think with Morley, Thomason is playing so well in Morley’s preferred position , that the holding role he now finds himself playing in doesn’t look like it’s is favoured position.

Unless we can score early we will meet more & more clubs who turn up, even at their place, to park the bus. This includes, like today, teams who will time waste more or less from the first minute.

The solution is simple enough. Score early.

First half exactly what was expected, was frustrating but pretty unlucky not to go in ahead at the break with the Vic chance & Morley deflected FK. A lot better second half with more intensity & purpose in our play especially the wing backs who looked a lot more dangerous second half. Like I thought before the game it was the sort of game Paris would be back to his best in (discounting his shooting) he was the one getting on the ball & asking lots of questions of them. On the striker I didn't think Vic was any worse than Dion today, they did a job but nothing special although it is hard when there's 10 compact men just sat in. JDB should be scoring that chance he had too, seemed to pee roll it when he had plenty of time to get good contact & the Jerome one the less said the better. All in all it's been a great period of recovering from our two set backs, onwards & upwards COYWM

Thomason terrific. Didn’t realise it was his 100th game. Tremendous achievement for a lad who folk thought wouldn’t last 10 games.

Vic worked his nads off and again showed the value of him and Charles as a partnership as it meant the latter could hang on the last defender rather than coming deep looking for the ball.

Elmander-esque turn from Charles deserved a goal and tbf he might have had a hat trick with the amount of times he wasn’t far off, sliding in to the low balls in to the box which Burton just couldn’t live with.

Must say that Morley was bloody awful but hopefully a one off.

Main thing was getting the win today after such a hectic period, and anyone who criticises when we’re 12 points from 12 over the four games is a moon man. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Unless we can score early we will meet more & more clubs who turn up, even at their place, to park the bus. This includes, like today, teams who will time waste more or less from the first minute.

The solution is simple enough. Score early.

At the risk of repeating myself, we're shot-shy.

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Vic's going to have to be a lot sharper than that to beat a quality keeper like Crocombe. It's going Mill's way so far so we need to sharpen up all over.

Crocombe looked very commanding, and that's unusual from what I've seen against us this season.  Good with his feet and made a couple of smart saves.  Surprised to see this is the first season he's played as high as L1 and he's 30.  Was in the Grimsby side promoted from National League and then got to 5th round of FA Cup.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

At the risk of repeating myself, we're shot-shy.

We average pushing 2 goals a game

Maybe that cos we dont keep booting at the keeper from 30 yards and we create good chances

Great win today after the Xmas exertions. I said it from the start of the season Tomo should be playing, just adds dynamism and muscle. And although I don't rate him, I was actually ok with Vic today - still don't think he's any good, but use him in these "easier" games because he always puts in a lot of effort and save Bod for the bigger games.

Great result, but i's games like this, at home against a team set up for a nil-nil, I just wish we would be slightly more flexible and have a plan B of going to a 4 at the back to get an additional, more skillful player up the pitch to help get the breakthrough. Minor quibble though while we're winning!

3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think he's had a good half as well

Certainly no worse than anyone else

Best I've seen Vic play by some distance, looked quite sharp and his 1st touch was decent most of the time.

Then JDB came on and looked like a Rolls Royce, every touch was a class above anyone else on the pitch not to mention his movement and speed of thought/reading of the game.

3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We need more from our wing-backs here imo

That's exactly how it transpired, we got JDC behind the full back in the 2nd half more than I can recall for ages, and he generally played well without being outstanding, but showed some good control and pace at times.  Created the goal thanks to Tomo's great pass, and unlucky not to create 1 or 2 more. 

Williams - not very good but did put in a couple of decent crosses over the 90 minutes.