Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where will we finish

Eddie

Half way through the season, a very successful calendar year finished (just read we got 92 league points in 2023)… nail your colours to the mast, where will we finish this season?

None of this “depends what we and others do in the window” - there are always variables and that’s all too sensible.

I’m 100% convinced we go up, I’d like to think as champions (not only because I’ve got a decent amount on us at 8/1 to win the league) but I think Derby will push us all the way.

2nd for me, with Derby as Champions and then Barnsley through the play offs.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Looking good

For me though holding on to a few players could be the difference between automatic & play offs 

Can't see anyone leaving 

Going with top 

But we have a tough set of away fixtures coming up

Top two (2nd) if we make a few signings to kick us on in Jan. Still think we're a bit light up front and could do with some cover in the wing back positions. 

Based on the fact that I think some of the better sides we're yet to play will take points off us and this will benefit the teams in and around us. 

Stick with the same squad and I think we'll end up 4th.....

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Half way through the season, a very successful calendar year finished (just read we got 92 league points in 2023)… nail your colours to the mast, where will we finish this season?

None of this “depends what we and others do in the window” - there are always variables and that’s all too sensible.

I’m 100% convinced we go up, I’d like to think as champions (not only because I’ve got a decent amount on us at 8/1 to win the league) but I think Derby will push us all the way.

2nd for me, with Derby as Champions and then Barnsley through the play offs.

I will go with that, but Pompey in play offs

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

4th.

Run out of steam a little towards the end.

We've been lucky (barring Johnston) with injuries.

Derby & Portsmouth kick on.

Lottery after that.

We also have 7 of the other 9 in the top 10 away from home yet.

Been lucky with injures, really. Bodvarson, Dempsey, Toal, Sheenan, Johnson, Coleman, Iredale, Mendes Gomes, have all missed games through injury. Not to mention Adeboyejo playing game after game with a bandaged arm. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

4th.

Run out of steam a little towards the end.

We've been lucky (barring Johnston) with injuries.

Derby & Portsmouth kick on.

Lottery after that.

We also have 7 of the other 9 in the top 10 away from home yet.

I think we've had a share of injuries- debate about new players breaking for example. 

Dempsey, Bod too.

Decent squad has coped.

I worry about Dion getting crocked though.

2nd.

• Site Supporter

These aways to come: we have the opportunity to open a gap on these teams as they have games against each other beforehand. 

If we do have a good run, and maybe Derby for example have a brief wobble like we have done and Portsmouth are having, then we may have a bit of a cushion to cope with a couple of defeats in them.

I think we will pick up some points though, however if we don't, and miss out on the top two, then it will be indicative that we weren't quite good enough.

Its weird because as good and as consistent we've been overall, it feels like we've only just come off the back of some terrible results and throughout the season we've had some absolute shockers.

Despite all of that, if we continue for the 2nd half of the season the same as the 1st, including the shockers we had, we will still hit 96 points, the highest PPG in the league currently.

This side has got what it takes to go on long winning runs, but more importantly, has the ability to bounce back from bad defeats.

COYWM.

Edited by Lostock Whites