Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Conscription

Spider

• Site Supporter

Raised its head on the news I see.

Doubt it would ever happen, and I know most of us on here are either too old, too fucked or too good looking to be risked in battle.

But my lad is 17, and would probably qualify.

Not sure I’d want that.

• Site Supporter

Anyone who has a Union Jack, a poppy or a St George tattoo or image on their social media will sign up without having to be asked, so we’ve plenty of arrow fodder alabke willingly anyway.

Wont see those patriots making excuses.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Maybe it could be tied in with some sort of rehabilitation for young offenders.

Or for petty crimes give them a choice ... prison or army.

Could be life changing for some.

Patriots first

An army full of Coke dealers and rapists doesn’t sound great to me.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

In WW2 conscription was only up to 41. They can do what they like for me. This place would be like an outpost of Walmington-On-Sea.

But Sanders is trying to raise a serious point, in that over the last number of years spending on defense - Army esp - has been dramatically cut and numbers reduced to a rather worrying level so it'll be 73k by 2025.

Labour have committed to looking at this if they get in - and have critised the government for repeated slashes to the armed forces, and nothing has been done about replacing some of the plane stock, and we have a MASSIVE 150 tanks - which is bonkers for a country like the UK and considering there is an actual land war in Europe. David Lammy (some of the board's bete noire) has argued against the Conservatives cut to 2.5% of GDP and the cutting must stop, plus how this also undermines our  position at NATO. Basically there hasn't been a real long term plan for a while which is what the outgoing Sanders is trying to focus people on.

So if you want a robust armed forces you know where should be sticking your cross this year.....

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Ah OK ... did say petty crimes though.

What's a patriot?

The world according to Spider. 

Pity he didn't hear the interview with a former naval top boy the other day, and his explanation of why recruitment is so difficult.

His head would have exploded.

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

I always find this a little disrespectful to our armed forces. People who choose to sign up for whatever reason are lumped in with people who have broken the law and don't have a choice. Don't know what you do for a living but I would be pretty pissed off if everyone kept saying that criminals should be sent out to do my job.

1 minute ago, Nowack said:

I always find this a little disrespectful to our armed forces. People who choose to sign up for whatever reason are lumped in with people who have broken the law and don't have a choice. Don't know what you do for a living but I would be pretty pissed off if everyone kept saying that criminals should be sent out to do my job.

Aye get what you mean. I wouldn't expect them to be sent straight to the front line or on training exercises with those that have chosen it as a career path straight away. They'd be assessed before they were passed to do so.

LIke I said ... could be life changing for some.

Better than being stuck in prison or a young offenders. Possibly re offending when let time served.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The world according to Spider. 

Pity he didn't hear the interview with a former naval top boy the other day, and his explanation of why recruitment is so difficult.

His head would have exploded.

Aye .. the lad makes up and assumes things to fit his narrative. Got worse in the last few years but it's constant now. Proper chip on his shoulder.

Boat people types......2 years in service, then they can have a UK Passport, and be allowed to stay here. This includes all men, women and children

• Site Supporter

Ah OK ... did say petty crimes though.

What's a patriot?

People who would fight to the last drop of blood for king and country.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Better than being stuck in prison or a young offenders. Possibly re offending when let time served.

They could at least end up raping and pillaging in some other backwater far away from home and it not be our problem

Or we could put the worst offenders on the front line where they are more likely to get shot and die 

Which may also be a deterrent