Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Krakow

Ani

Went as a student so that like 25 years ago, but it was the best place we went when interrailing (not sure that's what the kids do anymore)

Schindlers factory isn't much more than  an plaque so nah.

The Jewish Quarter is great.

The bars are fab, even if your good half doesn't drink they are amazing.

It's a wonderful place, to chill out as well.

Great city, the square, castle, river, Jewish Quarter all just nice places to be and all easily walkable together. Great food every where you turn as well, it's not just a cheap booze destination.

Auschwitz as sobering and depressing as it is, is a must. 

Auschwitz is good. We booked the tour with English speaker in advance of our visit. And then took a local bus from Krakow (was all badged up as going to Auschwitz). Much cheaper than a fully organised trip. Also did the Salt Mines (highly recommend and book in advance). Did a Segway tour around the city (good way to see places you wanna wander to on foot later on). Castle and river are decent. Plenty of restaurants in and around the main square. Get on the Krupnik. Fantastic drink.

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Did a Segway tour around the city (good way to see places you wanna wander to on foot later on)

got to say, I do love a segway tour - done them in Bergen, New Orleans, Nashville off top of my head - most handy in Bergen with all the hills

wherever you go, if they do a segway tour, get on it

Some tight cunts on here FFS. 

Auschwitz tours...they pick you up from your hotel, drive you there giving you loads of info en route, get a proper guided tour of both camps and then drive you back to your hotel, all in modern air-conditioned minibuses.

The price? £30. 

£30 buys you fuck all these days.

13 hours ago, Traf said:

Some tight cunts on here FFS. 

Auschwitz tours...they pick you up from your hotel, drive you there giving you loads of info en route, get a proper guided tour of both camps and then drive you back to your hotel, all in modern air-conditioned minibuses.

The price? £30. 

£30 buys you fuck all these days.

I'm with you in this one Traf.

Last thing you I wanted after 6 hours walking around a holocaust museum was to piss about with public transport!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Done both camps today. Was in tears seeing the kids/baby clothes and the scratch marks on the gas chambers. Heartbreaking but so important to remember 

my lad was there this week as part of a premier league programme remembering the holocaust: important that each generation is aware. this is him top right back in Jan

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3865822

I didn't do Auschwitz as the others had been.  Did the salt mines, pretty boring all told, videoed the full tour to save anyone the bother of doing it, there's only one room worth seeing, the huge one with the chandeliers and statuets standing stately in the hall.   I'd say all else there is to do is eat on the main square market, but take Rennies 

14 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I didn't do Auschwitz as the others had been.  Did the salt mines, pretty boring all told, videoed the full tour to save anyone the bother of doing it, there's only one room worth seeing, the huge one with the chandeliers and statuets standing stately in the hall.   I'd say all else there is to do is eat on the main square market, but take Rennies 

Mr H Likes this