Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nike. England shirt. Flag.

Spider

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Cheese said:

Quite surprised to see @Spider lose his mind over this, the absolute wufter.

I’m more fascinated by Nike using the word “playful”

Also, winding folk up on Twitter really is great fun. It’s even managed 4 pages on here and we’re all mates.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Someone has said this colour change isn't to do with the '66 training kit at all, but the bi-sexual pride flag.

Co-incidence?

Maybe, but if this gathers traction, then t'internet will explode. 

Who said that? What a lot of fuss over nothing.

5 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I think that's the conclusion a lot of people jumped to when they first heard about it. 

You'd have thought they might have seen this coming and advertised the 1966 link as the main selling point. 

I imagine if they had then our more 'patriotic' brethren would have been all over it. 

On 21/03/2024 at 15:27, Spider said:

“Playful”

Well, I am anti playfulness fo'sure

I'm going to a massive one printed out to fly outside the house during the euros.

The reaction has been proper amusing to see.

Barton quoting Manics lyrics about the Spanish civil war, Labour front benchers grifting for red wall gammon votes, Shilton's red faced anger, Le Tiss' cheese sliding further off its 'makes you think' cracker, delightful stuff and shows that everything is perfectly normal on this little Isle 😁

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well, I am anti playfulness fo'sure

I'm going to a massive one printed out to fly outside the house during the euros.

The reaction has been proper amusing to see.

Barton quoting Manics lyrics about the Spanish civil war, Labour front benchers grifting for red wall gammon votes, Shilton's red faced anger, Le Tiss' cheese sliding further off its 'makes you think' cracker, delightful stuff and shows that everything is perfectly normal on this little Isle 😁

I still can’t see Nike being “playful” with many other flags.

Thankfully, we’re a tolerant nation by and large so this kind of thing is unlikely to end in fatwa’s against the CEO of Nike.

But indulge me, what do you think the response would be if they changed, say, the Saudi flag? And be honest.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Thankfully, we’re a tolerant nation by and large so this kind of thing is unlikely to end in fatwa’s against the CEO of Nike.

But indulge me, what do you think the response would be if they changed, say, the Saudi flag? And be honest.

They have though - or other kit people have, Scotland and Brazil recently as folk have pointed out, plus have had manu different design iterations had it before and no one batted an eyelid (because there is no real reason too unless you lmthink playfulness in design is a culture war issue)

It's not even a diversity or sexual proclivity issue, it's just a design using new away colours and a training kit colour.

As I say, personally I don't give a monkeys but it has been funny to see the reaction, and on that alone I'll give them a tip of my multi coloured plastic England flag bowler hat.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question, as for picking in my personal opinion, rather extreme example of Saudi - I think we'd all agree that it's better living in a country where free speech (or freedom of graphic design 😁) is allowed rather than a totalitarian state where any difference is shut down and I'm some cases locked up/murdered.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Has Spids turned gammon?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Has Spids turned gammon?

He's even deploying Bolty's "fishing" excuse. Starting to understand why he was so easily lead by the Leave campaign...

The row over this shirt sums up everything that wrong with shit at the moment.

1 Two versions of the shirt

2 The more expensive version costing £125 for a fucking shirt

3 A pointless design change to the flag

4 People saying it is a lesbian colour scheme

5 Joey Barton

6 People getting annoyed because idiots on Twitter say they should. Similar design changes in previous years never created a ripple

It is fucking pathetic all round. 

It’s ridiculous- it’s a bit of cotton

Unless Nike are actually using it as a distraction tactic to play down the cost? 

PR; ‘hmm, the public will be outraged at spending £200 for a full strip to be used 10 games’

Design team; ‘hold my beer’

Big clubs/national sides/ yank teams have long made the more expensive player issues shirts available for nigh on double the price of the replica ones.

The fact the basic one is nigh on 90 quid is the bigger problem than the top whack 'authentic' shirt pricing 

5 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Big clubs/national sides/ yank teams have long made the more expensive player issues shirts available for nigh on double the price of the replica ones.

The fact the basic one is nigh on 90 quid is the bigger problem than the top whack 'authentic' shirt pricing 

Not sure either are defendable. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Dunno, just some comment.

I've had a look, and the colours are without doubt the same as some used on the shirt.

Only Nike know the exact reasoning, but they've claimed it was respecting '66, so that's where it stays for me.

6 hours ago, Spider said:

They said “playful”

Thats a very deliberate choice of word

Could mean owt really. Pink swastika might be playful for some. Rainbow version of the Afghan flag. World's your lobster.

They could just randomise the colours on all them with 3 horizontal bars. That'd be playful.