Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hate Crime.

5 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Read back.

I have.  I still have no idea what you're papping on about.

You highlighted "age" in the opening post of this thread and I asked why.  Not sure why you refuse to answer a simple question, but that's up to you.  I'm not overly arsed, I was just curious.

Crack on.

52 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I didn’t change his words. I deleted words before and after a sentence. Just as he deleted words after the first paragraph of mine. Normally to highlight a part of a post, I would put it in bold.

Never mind 😊

it’s not important 

• Members
58 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I have.  I still have no idea what you're papping on about.

You highlighted "age" in the opening post of this thread and I asked why.  Not sure why you refuse to answer a simple question, but that's up to you.  I'm not overly arsed, I was just curious.

Crack on.

You might have to spell it out for some of these bozo's in Alphabetti Spaghetti Boby.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Are you suggesting someone is editing your posts?

I think someone's editing all my posts.

They're fucking brilliant when I first post them.

• Members
2 hours ago, only1swanny said:

to be fair, a lot of Police are already struggling due to the massive amounts of red tape, new laws and the fact that the media are waiting to rip them apart at any given opportunity. 

They're not all bad the but media is portraying it that way atm. 

The media (look how many times the biased BBC has had to apologise lately) and social media have a lot to answer for. Cancer cells.

Not hard to see why cops are leaving the job in droves. On a hiding to nothing.

You can see how hog tied the wokes have them when they can't even acknowledge that parading swastika's on Palestinian support marches is an offence.

9 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

The media (look how many times the biased BBC has had to apologise lately) and social media have a lot to answer for. Cancer cells.

You can see how hog tied the wokes have them when they can't even acknowledge that parading swastika's on Palestinian support marches is an offence.

Because it’s not. 

12 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

For someone who takes glee in picking up others’ minor errors in grammar, you need to improve your constant misuse of apostrophes.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

The post before mine. You edited out the part about anonymity which was my main point.

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He means in your reply his post but he's wording it as if you've edited his actual post

Although, all you've really done is highlight a specific section

Ah ok

I didn't "edit it out" 

I was just picking you up your definition of free speech so I was just highlighting that bit

I could've put it in bold I guess but that too appears to be causing some confusion now 

I was initially confused as just last week you were accusing me of actually editing (as in changing) posts after you'd replied to them, so thought you were going on about that again 

So anyway

Back to my initial question

Do you Boby agree or disagree with this proposed law?

22 minutes ago, Zico said:

Ah ok

I didn't "edit it out" 

I was just picking you up your definition of free speech so I was just highlighting that bit

I could've put it in bold I guess but that too appears to be causing some confusion now 

I was initially confused as just last week you were accusing me of actually editing (as in changing) posts after you'd replied to them, so thought you were going on about that again 

So anyway

Back to my initial question

Do you Boby agree or disagree with this proposed law?

I disagree with it. 👍

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Free speech is being able to say whatever you want in public and on social media platforms. Ive said previously, anonymity restricts that freedom. How many on here are willing to give up that anonymity? 
There was a time when most people on here knew each other. Not now. 

What level of detail do folk have to give when starting an "X" or Facebook account, and how does that compare to here, or other forums?

No idea, as I don't bother with them, but I do feel that they should entail having a sort of ID associated with the account. The authorities could then apply for such info by use of a warrant, where it is granted.

Protects the user, until they've potentially crossed a threshold of criminality. 

As for the Scottish law, after hearing arguments for and against, I'm saying against.

Thin end of the wedge; thought police and malicious accusations aplenty could well be on the cards. 

Suggestions that comedy could be further eroded, and even the festival impacted.

We'll see in due course.

Might not be for long though, SNP aren't likely to get as many votes and seats at their next elections, and the whacky greens may not be in a position to influence the government.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Because it’s not. 

It's weird this. So many place it is illegal. 

That said, I wonder if it could be deemed as an attempt to incite violence or some such and therefore be dealt with under another law?

Simply, whether it's illegal of not, we know the significance of its use.

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's weird this. So many place it is illegal. 

That said, I wonder if it could be deemed as an attempt to incite violence or some such and therefore be dealt with under another law?

Simply, whether it's illegal of not, we know the significance of its use.

Aye, it is bonkers that it’s not.

But that should please the free speech warriors I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Suggestions that comedy could be further eroded, and even the festival impacted.

We'll see in due course.

Will it heck 😆

Out of interest, who was it who suggested this? 

I can understand why yourself & others may disagree. Personally I think it will be a good step forward.

Whoever is suggesting the Fringe is at risk needs to get a grip.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Which comedians do you like?

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Which comedians do you like?

Can't say I go big on comedians. If something is funny, then it's of no consequence who says it.

Not sure that it's relevant though; it's the comedians themselves you'd have to ask as to whether they have any concerns.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Will it heck 😆

Out of interest, who was it who suggested this? 

I can understand why yourself & others may disagree. Personally I think it will be a good step forward.

Whoever is suggesting the Fringe is at risk needs to get a grip.

Said no one.

I said impacted. That is the view I heard, so we'll see.

https://bigbellycomedy.club/2024/03/comedy-and-scotlands-controversial-new-law/

An article here, also reports in the Scotsman and the Herald. 

Police saying they won't target comedians, but what happens if an audience member makes a complaint?

Do the police not investigate because its a comedy act, in which case the law change is pointless. 

Or do they, in which case it potentially becomes very difficult. 

Oh, and such issues have already arisen there- Graham Linehan was censored last year, let alone this.

Definite thin end of the wedge.

Can see why you like it. 

https://unherd.com/newsroom/will-the-snps-new-hate-crime-bill-get-me-arrested/

Also contains relevant thoughts of comedians, law officers, and the church.

Thin end of the wedge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68570614.amp

Missed Ms Cherry's concerns too.

Thin end of the wedge. 

Hamza is a crank.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

28 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Said no one.

I said impacted. That is the view I heard, so we'll see.

https://bigbellycomedy.club/2024/03/comedy-and-scotlands-controversial-new-law/

An article here, also reports in the Scotsman and the Herald. 

Police saying they won't target comedians, but what happens if an audience member makes a complaint?

Do the police not investigate because its a comedy act, in which case the law change is pointless. 

Or do they, in which case it potentially becomes very difficult. 

Oh, and such issues have already arisen there- Graham Linehan was censored last year, let alone this.

Definite thin end of the wedge.

Can see why you like it. 

Fringe impacted’ ‘ comedy eroded’. 

These are big statements. And a massive overreaction in my opinion. I completely understand why you, or others, have concerns. But to make these claims before we know the details, or know how it will look in action, isn’t right. 

I don’t ‘like’ this law, it’s too early to say. I think it has potential to finally hold people accountable who say horrific things on social media.

Time will tell & I’d put a bet on that freedom of speech isn’t eroded. And I’d put all my savings on the Fringe not being effected in the slightest. I may be proven wrong.

Police have said they won’t investigate comedians, there’s your reassurance. Doesn’t really matter if an audience member reports it or not. Obviously a comedian can’t genuinely call for the eradication of Jews , or Muslims etc. 

Thanks for sharing the article 👍

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't say I go big on comedians. If something is funny, then it's of no consequence who says it.

Not sure that it's relevant though; it's the comedians themselves you'd have to ask as to whether they have any concerns.

Oh. So which comedians are saying "comedy could be eroded"?

30 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Oh. So which comedians are saying "comedy could be eroded"?

I think Romesh Ranganathan has had is comedy eroded, as I've never seen him do anything remotely funny

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think Romesh Ranganathan has had is comedy eroded, as I've never seen him do anything remotely funny

Is he one of the comedians saying "comedy could be eroded"?

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Is he one of the comedians saying "comedy could be eroded"?

I doubt it, as I don't think any comedian has suggested anything of the sort have they?