Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Final


Casino

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ianofcleveleys said:

A Sunday league manager who'd watched Oxford v Posh would have known to make his pre-match team talk be just four words, 'start fast, score first'. We did the polar opposite and gifted Oxford the opportunity to do again what they did to Posh. I'd like to get an honest answer from Evatt as to whether the ponderous approach from kick off was his instructions (if so it's barely believable) or whether the players took no notice of him / froze when crossing the white line

I’ve not seen it but a mate of mine said he appeared totally perplexed when interviewed post match, like he couldn’t understand what the players had done? No idea if that’s right. Not making excuses for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dempsey as captain into the starting XI, week in week out.

That guy is the sort of player who will run through bricks wall for your club. The only player who can hold their head high today.

If we had 11 Kyle Dempsey's, we would have the bottle to get out of this shit house league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Evatt and Dempsey have both come out and said they can't understand why it went wrong

Unbelievable our manager could not see why it went wrong I am flabbergasted! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was our worst ever Wembley performance. Tranmere, Watford  even feckin Stoke, we had one or two brief spells where we were on top or threatened, however briefly.

Today we offered absolutely nowt. Bunch of feckin pussies including the manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve heard a few people saying that it was the midfield’s fault that the defence had no-one to pass to because they were hiding. Well how about our captain demanding they stop hiding? Or our manager hooking them sooner for players who actually want the ball?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Nowack said:

No disrespect to the Oxford team because if they had needed too i am sure they would have upped their game. But as has been said they only needed a 5 out of 10 performance to beat us 2-0 and that is unforgivable and the fault of the manager. 

I took a neutral mate along today and this was his verdict, "Oxford didn't do anything particularly or have to. Bolton were just that poor, and through the whole first half had no out ball"

The bit I disagree with is the "no out ball". I thought we had plenty but the passing was way too slow.

Been a whole season of bad performance after bad performance in the big games (Barnsley away aside). Maybe we're just not good enough and I've got this completely wrong but I think we have the best squad in the league and should have at least won some of these big games. Evatt is done for me. He'll no doubt get 10 games next season then be potted once we're mid table as tends to be the Bolton way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oxford have just won a play off final, one of the most nerve-wracking, stressful and tense games you’ll ever have WITHOUT THE KEEPER MAKING A SAVE.

Forgetting everything else, that is a fucking joke. Their fans have just been promoted without some much as one arse-twitching moment.

Wankers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wiggy said:

I’ve heard a few people saying that it was the midfield’s fault that the defence had no-one to pass to because they were hiding. Well how about our captain demanding they stop hiding? Or our manager hooking them sooner for players who actually want the ball?

I don't get this. There were plenty of passes on, mainly to the wing backs, especially Ogbeta, if we'd played it quickly. By the time Santos had decided he was going to pass and Toal had turned himself round to look at the left side Ogbeta was marked but 5 seconds previous he was always open

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stig said:

I took a neutral mate along today and this was his verdict, "Oxford didn't do anything particularly or have to. Bolton were just that poor, and through the whole first half had no out ball"

The bit I disagree with is the "no out ball". I thought we had plenty but the passing was way too slow.

Been a whole season of bad performance after bad performance in the big games (Barnsley away aside). Maybe we're just not good enough and I've got this completely wrong but I think we have the best squad in the league and should have at least won some of these big games. Evatt is done for me. He'll no doubt get 10 games next season then be potted once we're mid table as tends to be the Bolton way

I think your mate was right, that Oxford front three? Never gave us an outlet, so it's down to the manager this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stig said:

I don't get this. There were plenty of passes on, mainly to the wing backs, especially Ogbeta, if we'd played it quickly. By the time Santos had decided he was going to pass and Toal had turned himself round to look at the left side Ogbeta was marked but 5 seconds previous he was always open

Is exactly how I saw it too. Even when players were completely open out wide we kept trying to force it to Sheehan time and time again.

The fact that Oxford were playing so many in that central area should and did mean there were people free elsewhere. We just chose not to use them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stig said:

I don't get this. There were plenty of passes on, mainly to the wing backs, especially Ogbeta, if we'd played it quickly. By the time Santos had decided he was going to pass and Toal had turned himself round to look at the left side Ogbeta was marked but 5 seconds previous he was always open

Agreed. They'd closed off the ball to JDC, but Ogbeta was frequently free and Toal kept refusing to play to him, preferring to go back sideways and slowly to Santos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, royal white said:

Oh and as well as us having the best fans in the world we also have the mongiest fans with the shittiest undies IMG_9797.thumb.jpeg.d86cc638b819553ada0a637ed2bdb38e.jpegIMG_9798.thumb.jpeg.3944d262e8045139b315d44847886e1b.jpegIMG_9796.thumb.jpeg.c8824ceea0fdea42f49d9ab6351b73ae.jpeg

Just put me off one of my 4 stolen cheese strings that

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

With this team we shouldn't have had to scrape pass the playoffs. We have a better team than Derby, what we don't have is a better manager.

Do we though. Do we just think that because they’re our players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We lost the final due to bad mentality! To beat Barnsley and allow players to drink alcohol in the stands celebrating after the game as if the job was done was wrong on so many levels, why on earth would a manager allow alcohol after a semi win is beyond me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, superkev said:

Do we though. Do we just think that because they’re our players

Agreed. I not sure where this confidence in our players comes from. A few were in League 2 not long ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.