Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gratitude or platitude?

MickyD

• Site Supporter

Is all this thanks aimed at our current board, in danger of turning from gratitude to platitude?

Whilst we are all very thankful for FV putting the cash up to save our club from following Bury into years of oblivion, at what stage does every discussion about Bolton Wanderers need to include, “Ah, but we nearly didn’t have a club! We’ve got to be thankful to Football Ventures!”

How long do we need to doff our proverbial cap or touch our forelock in homage towards Sharon B or Football Ventures?

If I helped someone out of a situation and then they thanked me for that help at every opportunity It’d all get a bit embarrassing, wouldn’t it?

I’m not being ungrateful but I hate the idea of having an orchestrated minute of appreciation at Wembley. Let’s wait to see if our playoff trip is successful and then show our appreciation.

• Site Supporter

I'm sure all the thanks MJ and Sharon want is to see players & fans celebrating promotion together on Saturday- that will be their job satisfaction.

Let's leave this minutes applause bollocks to tourists of the Premier league

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm sure all the thanks MJ and Sharon want is to see players & fans celebrating promotion together on Saturday- that will be their job satisfaction.

Let's leave this minutes applause bollocks to Scousers

Edited for accuracy 

It's an awful idea.

God bless those who have died, or young kids with a terrible illness but it's such a faux way to recognise them.

& for every one 'recognised' there'll be dozens more not being.

Every match now seems to have a tragedy linked to it. Shares in  black-armband manufacturers must have shot up.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Is all this thanks aimed at our current board, in danger of turning from gratitude to platitude?

Whilst we are all very thankful for FV putting the cash up to save our club from following Bury into years of oblivion, at what stage does every discussion about Bolton Wanderers need to include, “Ah, but we nearly didn’t have a club! We’ve got to be thankful to Football Ventures!”

How long do we need to doff our proverbial cap or touch our forelock in homage towards Sharon B or Football Ventures?

If I helped someone out of a situation and then they thanked me for that help at every opportunity It’d all get a bit embarrassing, wouldn’t it?

I’m not being ungrateful but I hate the idea of having an orchestrated minute of appreciation at Wembley. Let’s wait to see if our playoff trip is successful and then show our appreciation.

It's an interesting question going forward, not so much in terms of paying homage to FV, as just in general. Of course we need perspective in that Feb 2001 we were 20th in L2 and 18 months or so earlier were on the brink of ceasing altogether. That can never be forgotten; but when you've then risen a few full levels in both sporting and financial viability terms, it also has to be about how you get to the next level. Difficult balancing act; in anything in life if you rise from rock bottom you need to keep progressing and can be critical of lack of progress - while always keeping that perspective. Thing is, I'm sure Sharon appreciates that completely. Become a "safe" Championship side and if in a few years they step aside then that's the stage we can look back and show our appreciation.

33 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

It's an interesting question going forward, not so much in terms of paying homage to FV, as just in general. Of course we need perspective in that Feb 2001 we were 20th in L2 and 18 months or so earlier were on the brink of ceasing altogether. That can never be forgotten; but when you've then risen a few full levels in both sporting and financial viability terms, it also has to be about how you get to the next level. Difficult balancing act; in anything in life if you rise from rock bottom you need to keep progressing and can be critical of lack of progress - while always keeping that perspective. Thing is, I'm sure Sharon appreciates that completely. Become a "safe" Championship side and if in a few years they step aside then that's the stage we can look back and show our appreciation.

I know it feels like a generation ago, but it’s only been a fraction of that

2 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

I know it feels like a generation ago, but it’s only been a fraction of that

well remember that game at Mansfield with everyone having to watch on iFollow as we were 2 down with not long left and a cross spawned into the net and then we somehow ended up winning. If that cross had stayed as a cross, and we lost, the whole momentum of the run in would have been lost. Look back to the time in the game it went in and have a round of applause on the dot at Wembley for it? Of course not.

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

well remember that game at Mansfield with everyone having to watch on iFollow as we were 2 down with not long left and a cross spawned into the net and then we somehow ended up winning. If that cross had stayed as a cross, and we lost, the whole momentum of the run in would have been lost. Look back to the time in the game it went in and have a round of applause on the dot at Wembley for it? Of course not.

Think it might be a whoosh bud, you put 2001, not 2021

I'd be interested to know how much money they've actually put in.

They borrowed against the club, borrowed from UKGOVplc, borrowed from the fans...

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

This is the first I've heard about it, but it does seem very cringeworthy. 

I'm sure Sharon and FV are more than happy with 30,000 of us shelling out for a Wembley trip, after what has been for our away support an expensive season.

She will see and hear the support. She's not bothered about a handclap which could be drowned out Bolton Stone Roses anyway.

Are they going to wait for a quiet minute ? Best of luck there.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'd be interested to know how much money they've actually put in.

They borrowed against the club, borrowed from UKGOVplc, borrowed from the fans...

All that can be found in previous accounts.

Not a clue what they had to do to ensure the CUNT was paid off, not the full details of discussions with ED's family.

They did say at the time that they didn't have pots of cash to throw at things, as was shown by the very moderate money used on players.

Nevertheless, they have managed the finances well- the covid money was something that many businesses applied for, but few got.

You make it sound as if it was it was untoward, whereas the club needed cash for obvious reasons.

The fact that the loan was converted into shares must be an indicator that those investing are indeed happy with the management. 

As for the fans; that was purely a voluntary scheme, with the opportunity to make some gains. We make such choices everyday with pensions, and other investments. 

Again not something to beat then with, but a reflection of innovative, positive management.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You make it sound as if it was it was untoward, whereas the club needed cash for obvious reasons.

Far from it.

That's your spin on my comment.

45 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

I'm sure Sharon and FV are more than happy with 30,000 of us shelling out for a Wembley trip, after what has been for our away support an expensive season.

talking of which, do we get a 3rd of the gate receipts from Saturday, is that how it works?

This applause thing, on the 28th minute is the sort of nonsense I'd expect that Craig fella to come out with, it's utterly ridiculous and cringeworthy

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

talking of which, do we get a 3rd of the gate receipts from Saturday, is that how it works?

This applause thing, on the 28th minute is the sort of nonsense I'd expect that Craig fella to come out with, it's utterly ridiculous and cringeworthy

I believe that all profits from the five play-off games are pooled and then split five ways between the four clubs and the EFL. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I believe that all profits from the five play-off games are pooled and then split five ways between the four clubs and the EFL. 

It'll be a bumper pay day for Oxford then, given their usual average attendances. 

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

To be fair without him and that group how would people know how many tickets we had sold…..I mean do you really want people having to go on the official website or Facebook page 

2 hours ago, Traf said:

I guess it worked in our favour last year,  but surely there should be more reward for the teams that actually make it to the final? 

Just now, Jol_BWFC said:

I guess it worked in our favour last year,  but surely there should be more reward for the teams that actually make it to the final? 

There might well be. I know that's how it is for the semi-finals, which is why there was little point in Barnsley giving us another 2,000 tickets to generate another £30k in revenue which split five ways after increased security costs wouldn't be worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, Traf said:

This year the money is done on a tie by tie basis.

So for us , we get 25% of gate money for our games v Barnsley.

We now get 25% of total gate money for final.

All these are based on net receipts so there are some costs that taken out (including some money we can claim for expenses.

https://www.efl.com/documents/play-off-rules/#

• Members
23 minutes ago, Ani said:

This year the money is done on a tie by tie basis.

So for us , we get 25% of gate money for our games v Barnsley.

We now get 25% of total gate money for final.

All these are based on net receipts so there are some costs that taken out (including some money we can claim for expenses.

https://www.efl.com/documents/play-off-rules/#

That should reimburse Collins' transfer fee at least