Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt to Stay or Go? (Poll)

Evatt to Stay or Go?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I would politely suggest that 'response' may be far more heightened with a new manager installed with a pedigree and ability to influence games on the fly, aided and abeted by some decent signings to enthuse everyone.

It will turn on Evatt v quickly unless we're  ripping up the division, people may disagree with that all they like but know it's true.

Blows my mind half the people have voted to keep him in a job after the failure after failure to take the opportunities on offer to get out of the third division. 

Sick of hearing how mentally tough the fanny is, did BSA ever spout it, or just show it.

I'm sure the usual brigade will be giving it the shit fan response, but I won't be the only one absolutely underwhelmed with another season in that division with a manager who has no idea how his team will perform week on week. I don't trust him or the team.

Think we are better than anyone wanting him gone being shit fans aren't we?

Same way as those wanting him to stay aren't blind happy clappers.

There's a debate to be had, but hysterics will get nobody anywhere and only help divide an already polarised fanbase.

Like you say, we don't start off well the knives will be out big style and we will be back to infighting in the stands again.

Nobody wants any of this, that's why folk need to keep cool and be rational. That includes all involved at the club.

It would be interesting if this poll was re-run in a week or two. A few who voted "go" during understandable high dudgeon following our no-show at Wembley may now have calmed and reconsidered. It's 50/50 now for the first time. 

No criticism of anyone. I was as cheesed off as anyone after Wembley! 

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It would be interesting if this poll was re-run in a week or two. A few who voted "go" during understandable high dudgeon following our no-show at Wembley may now have calmed and reconsidered. It's 50/50 now for the first time. 

I’m one of those Paul. I initially voted Go but on reflection changed my mind to stay because surely even Ian must have learned from the Wembley debacle and reflected on similar performances throughout the season. I suspect he knows which players let him down and those he can rely on and if he is staying will be working on that for next season. I accept he has a problem with adapting during games and also his continual like for like and pre planned changes but hopefully he’s having a think about those too? We’ll soon know if he hasn’t learned and as others have said, he’ll be hounded out if not but I believe we need to at least give him a chance first because he’s surely earned that?

6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I’m one of those Paul. I initially voted Go but on reflection changed my mind to stay because surely even Ian must have learned from the Wembley debacle and reflected on similar performances throughout the season. I suspect he knows which players let him down and those he can rely on and if he is staying will be working on that for next season. I accept he has a problem with adapting during games and also his continual like for like and pre planned changes but hopefully he’s having a think about those too? We’ll soon know if he hasn’t learned and as others have said, he’ll be hounded out if not but I believe we need to at least give him a chance first because he’s surely earned that?

That probably sums it up. 

I think the crunch comes towards the end of September/early October if we have an average start and don't show signs of change. 

The trigger for mass discontent would be another lame display in a game against a perceived promotion rival or in a derby.  FV would then be right on the spot. 

.... let's hope it doesn't come to any of that.

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

That’s where I am at wanted him gone but now prepared to give him a chance but I suspect he won’t learn and that’s the issue we will soon find out when he signs any new players. 

I haven’t changed my mind😂

I know he isn’t going. Will be apathy over anger.

FWIW I don’t think it will be toxic at all. I think the majority at home games support him and the bad results in previous seasons are soon forgotten and folk move on. Rightly so too. Wigan could beaten us 4-0 both times for all I cared as long as we did the business and ended up promoted. 

21 minutes ago, tomski said:

FWIW I don’t think it will be toxic at all. I think the majority at home games support him and the bad results in previous seasons are soon forgotten and folk move on. Rightly so too. Wigan could beaten us 4-0 both times for all I cared as long as we did the business and ended up promoted. 

If we don’t hit the ground running it will turn as his credit will soon run out and like I said other week it’s harder to get folk back who lose the buzz

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Evatt staying & also he’s apologised to several players that he didn’t start them more regularly and including the final

dont Shoot the messenger 

I'm curious as to the nature of these "apologies".

Are they "sorry I couldn't fit you in lads, but I felt the others were better options at that time"

Or "sorry lads, I fucked up, and should have picked you"

Or "sorry lads, I picked my faves, but they let me down in the end"

Bit pedantic maybe, but apologising now may make things worse- I hope he got the tone right.

Maybe he's had an epiphany, and will be more pragmatic and versatile in future.

6 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Evatt staying & also he’s apologised to several players that he didn’t start them more regularly and including the final

dont Shoot the messenger 

Certainly won’t shoot the messenger, but intrigued where the messenger got his information from. 

There may be ‘some’ truth in your statement, but it’s a little more nuanced than you’ve put it.  

3 hours ago, tomski said:

I agree. This isn't Megson style booing the manager, but it will soon turn into Coyle style apathy and acknowledgement he's out of his depth.

The positive is I've mentally prepared myself for a mid table finish this season (can't see us even getting play offs if I'm honest in a much stronger league with more crunch games where we struggle) so anything above that is a bonus really.

6 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Can we add a “not arsed” section now. What will be will be. Can’t change it 

6 hours ago, thebells said:

Certainly won’t shoot the messenger, but intrigued where the messenger got his information from. 

There may be ‘some’ truth in your statement, but it’s a little more nuanced than you’ve put it.  

Close family member of one of the players and it wasn’t just said to myself hence passing it on , @Tonge moor green jacket I see what you mean regarding the tone and how it was delivered, hopefully any issues are cleared up for next season but without digging the impression I got was it’s not all rosy in the camp 

8 hours ago, Steejay said:

First time Rico stands on the ball…

He does it like Andrei Kanchelskis then riffles a shit pinger right in the top bin.

Bosh.

• Members
12 hours ago, thebells said:

Tone of this is that you know more ?  Tell the class?

Posted (edited)

I think this poll should be closed immediately. At exactly 50:50 it probably truly reflects both the feelings of the fans, as well as the right course of action.

There are very valid pluses and minuses to both retaining and removing Evatt.

Edited by Rival Son

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Rival Son said:

I think this poll should be closed immediately. At exactly 50:50 it probably truly reflects both the feelings of the fans, as well as the right course of action.

There are very valid pluses and minuses to both retaining and removing Evatt.

i'll keep it open

somebody will only restart it first game we lose next season, even if its fucking february