Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt to Stay or Go? (Poll)

Evatt to Stay or Go?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we've been found out in this league. And my worry is that we will play EXACTLY the same style next season. And without some pretty major investment I can't see us improving much. 

It's down to some soul searching from Ian Evatt. And whether his heart is still in it AND whether he genuinely thinks he can do better next season. 

I imagine the mood in the squad is on its arse going into the summer! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Sentiment from his 13 games here as a player? 

I'm surprised it was that low 

Still a local(ish) lad who came through the academy, and I thought he was going to be a top player for us before he got injured 

As a random aside Stuart Holden only played 30 games for us and he's one of our most popular players from the PL era

• Members
1 minute ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Oh they really want him don't they ?

Least the ones I know do.

(Except one who has some personal beef with him 😁)

I've had this weird idea though that Derby will pot Warne soon and he might end up there .

Dunno why, like I say, just a weird feeling. 🤷‍♂️

Warne's record in the championship is piss poor. Relegated every time. Granted it was Rotherham but still

They sacked Rosenior about eight matches into the season as they were just outside the play offs 

The deluded bastards will get rid as soon as it goes a bit wrong 

21 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Feels crazy to me that anyone would be attached to someone because they came through the academy 20 years ago but made no significant contribution to the senior team.

People have generally turned their noses up at the idea of Nolan getting a go. And he's one of the better players we've ever had, plus he has a decent amount of experience as a manager and assistant. I'd be interested to know why anyone would favour Holden over him (not that he'd be my first choice either).

I do feel like any discussion over who a hypothetical next manager is fundamentally flawed though. It's all blokes we've barely heard of managing teams we never watch.

Just now, Zico said:

I'm surprised it was that low 

Still a local(ish) lad who came through the academy, and I thought he was going to be a top player for us before he got injured 

As a random aside Stuart Holden only played 30 games for us and he's one of our most popular players from the PL era

Zico sums it up nicely, there. A bit of “what might have been” in an era where we didn’t bring through many players. Although ironically if Holden (Dean, not Stuart) had made it with us then it would probably have stopped Nicky Hunt coming through.

Keeping his hand in on Radio Manc sporadically over the years has just kept him in people’s minds. 

He's got a stay of execution for now, I'll give him 10 games at the start of next season to be right up there, but if we're not, then it's bye! 

If the board do decide to get rid now, I fully understand it.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Can bet your bottom dollar if he does leave, he will be Blackpools manager by November.

And then get them promoted

Just now, DirtySanchez said:

Warne's record in the championship is piss poor. Relegated every time. Granted it was Rotherham but still

They sacked Rosenior about eight matches into the season as they were just outside the play offs 

The deluded bastards will get rid as soon as it goes a bit wrong 

I was thinking they might get rid ASAP and come in for IE. 

Seem to remember some of their fans going on about our teams differing styles and how they'd rather see them play like us.

Imagine that.

Was after the first game that mind.

Now it seems we'd settle for a Warne to boot our way out of this league.

(No one has said this I know, but would we take that?)

24 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Rosenior is coming nowhere near us

His name is only getting mentioned because he doesn't have a job 

May as well chuck Warnock in 

Agree. And that's the worry for me. Who? 

Experience at getting out of this league? Or take a punt like Oxford did?

Is why I'm wavering

4 hours ago, Ros Coe said:

Dean Holden is a strange call for me, what has he done/achieved in his managerial career? I’ve read somewhere that he’s a good coach or number two.. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be underwhelmed if he took over tbh.

51 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Rosenior is coming nowhere near us

His name is only getting mentioned because he doesn't have a job 

May as well chuck Warnock in 

Warnock’s got a job. He’s at Torquay isn’t he?

37 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think we've been found out in this league. And my worry is that we will play EXACTLY the same style next season. And without some pretty major investment I can't see us improving much. 

It's down to some soul searching from Ian Evatt. And whether his heart is still in it AND whether he genuinely thinks he can do better next season. 

I imagine the mood in the squad is on its arse going into the summer! 

The only way Evatt will still be in place come Oct/Nov will be if we having a Colin Toddesque season.

Every poor game, every dropped point will be scrutinised and criticised and he can't handle it it will become like Megosn until FV have no choice. Crowds will drop and it will become toxic.

The same issues were happening in Div 2 as happened yesterday, the guys clueless, 4 seasons and still not worked out how to play around/through a team that sits deep and doesn't give a shit our defenders have the ball.

Id never heard of the Poermaouth fella or the one at Lincoln now, but hopefully Markham or whoever is looking at contingencies for when Evatt gets potted, or walks.

• Members
1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

Feels crazy to me that anyone would be attached to someone because they came through the academy 20 years ago but made no significant contribution to the senior team.

People have generally turned their noses up at the idea of Nolan getting a go. And he's one of the better players we've ever had, plus he has a decent amount of experience as a manager and assistant. I'd be interested to know why anyone would favour Holden over him (not that he'd be my first choice either).

I do feel like any discussion over who a hypothetical next manager is fundamentally flawed though. It's all blokes we've barely heard of managing teams we never watch.

It's partly why names like Nolan, Holden, Rosenior, etc. get mentioned - hardly anyone has much of an idea of suitable candidates at this level

The same goes for potential transfer targets

I think the people putting forwards Holden's name would also be in favour of Nolan getting the job, but assume Holden is more likely to want it

Brownie... Rioch's Captain, Sam's Assistant and got Hull into the Prem and kept them there for a while (ignoring the sit in episode which I'm sure he regrets).. and a good laugh too. Also an "international" manager these days

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Brownie... Rioch's Captain, Sam's Assistant and got Hull into the Prem and kept them there for a while (ignoring the sit in episode which I'm sure he regrets).. and a good laugh too. Also an "international" manager these days

For the first time, im only say 70/80% keep him and think its much more likely he jumps than is pushed, but Phil Brown??

Get fucked

20 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I’ve never got this give a bloke 10 games business.

It’s always too fucking late by then. 

Yep. If it doesn’t work you’re already more than a quarter of the season in. Make an early decision and give a new manager a full preseason to work with the players and bring in/ship out

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Can bet your bottom dollar if he does leave, he will be Blackpools manager by November.

I remember saying a few months ago if he were to leave us I could just picture him managing Blackpool before long.

I don't want to wade in on IE, its all been said well by others on here.

But personally a new start, getting rid of all that baggage of being incapable of beating half decent and/or rivals, would put a spring in my step for next season and I'm fairly sure many other fans.  The thought that we might not be watching the walking football and the over reliance on Tomo/Sheehan/ Cogley/Santos/Charles (and Jones and Toal out of position), week in week out regardless of form or opposition is something that right now feels very appealing. 

Thanks for what you've done for BWFC, good luck in your next job.