Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Euro 24


L/H White

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Portugal firmly in the same bracket as us and the dutch 

always had great teams on paper with a genuine world class player or two, but always fail to deliver 

Although Portugal did win the Euros in 2016.

[The Dutch won the Euros in ‘88, but that was a long time ago.]

Edited by Jol_BWFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Although Portugal did win the Euros in 2016.

[The Dutch won the Euros in ‘88, but that was a long time ago.]

aye and us in 66 

point being with the teams on 'paper' and the players we've all had, we've all massively under achieved

germany, italy and brazil all just well oiled machines when it comes to tournament football

i'd probably make germany favs for this, especially being on home soil

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, L/H White said:

aye and us in 66 

point being with the teams on 'paper' and the players we've all had, we've all massively under achieved

germany, italy and brazil all just well oiled machines when it comes to tournament football

i'd probably make germany favs for this, especially being on home soil

 

Think our case takes it to the extremes mind. Dominated European football in the 70s&80s, massive players since the inception of the Premier league, at times the strongest league in the world littered with big managers and superstars etc.

How the fuck have we only ever managed on trophy?

It's sickening really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Think our case takes it to the extremes mind. Dominated European football in the 70s&80s, massive players since the inception of the Premier league, at times the strongest league in the world littered with big managers and superstars etc.

How the fuck have we only ever managed on trophy?

It's sickening really.

I genuinely believe England were shit scared of winning the last Euros. It's a burden now. 

Fair fucks to Italy best team on the day but they didn't qualify for the preceding and succeeding World Cups. England beat them home and away in Euros qualifying too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, L/H White said:

Portugal firmly in the same bracket as us and the dutch 

always had great teams on paper with a genuine world class player or two, but always fail to deliver 

except for when they won it

I've seen your point above, but forget 66, that was years ago

in the Ronaldo era they've got a final that they spaffed against Greece 

lost to germany in 1/4s

got to semis lost on pens

won it

lost to belgium last 16

not bad given as a nation they were generally a shite team, until 96 when the likes of Figo, Sousra and Costa emerged

better than us and holland for sure in recent years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Think our case takes it to the extremes mind. Dominated European football in the 70s&80s, massive players since the inception of the Premier league, at times the strongest league in the world littered with big managers and superstars etc.

How the fuck have we only ever managed on trophy?

It's sickening really.

We dominated Europe at club level using a lot of foreign players though, so it’s not relevant.
Often wondered how we’d have got on with a British team at international level though if the likes of Law, Best, Dalglish, Giggs, Baxter, Bremner, Johnstone, McNeill, Rush and more recently Bale etc were in the Team GB squad. Reckon we’d have won a few over the years as they were all perennial winners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, L/H White said:

 

i'd probably make germany favs for this, especially being on home soil

 

France would be my favourites. The usual suspects - Germany, Italy or France with Spain and Portugal thereabouts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

I remember Portugal being shit hot but only having carthorses for strikers for a good few years til Ronaldo bulked up.

Eg Helder Postiga

Link to comment
Share on other sites

France if I had to pick someone.

This tournament (unlike the World Cup) has a history of throwing up unexpected winners: Denmark in the year they didn't even qualify for the tournament by rights and Greece in 2004. 

Don't fancy our lot. I think Southgate has got it all wrong with the squad cycle and we're not integrated/cohesive enough. Dearly hope I am proved wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So first game tomorrow.

I want krauts 8 porridge skirt wearing wogs 0.

Although never many goals in 1st game so I,ll go 2-0 ter krauts

Ps. Will this get me a ban from HR.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.