Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nathan blake

W.cramp

Great article that. There is no way that this group can match that groups mentality, they just don't have the capacity. It's a little unfair to compare them really as that was possibly the toughest buch of bastards ever to wear the white shirt, certainly the toughest in my lifetime.

Fantastic piece and Nathan just stating exactly what it takes to b successful. Our new lad sounds to have a bit of that in him so let’s hope so but I’d really like to see Evatt shelve the young player, sell on requirement and add some real experience with a bit of attitude in his dealings this summer. Other than Demps and Iredale, neither of who have been getting regular starts, I don’t think we have anyone in the squad with a tenacious attitude and it really showed when the chips were down last year. With a tougher season ahead we can’t let that happen again.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Fantastic piece and Nathan just stating exactly what it takes to b successful. Our new lad sounds to have a bit of that in him so let’s hope so but I’d really like to see Evatt shelve the young player, sell on requirement and add some real experience with a bit of attitude in his dealings this summer. Other than Demps and Iredale, neither of who have been getting regular starts, I don’t think we have anyone in the squad with a tenacious attitude and it really showed when the chips were down last year. With a tougher season ahead we can’t let that happen again.

We've not had a "general" in Midfield since Carl Henry 

• Members
1 hour ago, perth_white said:

Great article that. There is no way that this group can match that groups mentality, they just don't have the capacity. It's a little unfair to compare them really as that was possibly the toughest buch of bastards ever to wear the white shirt, certainly the toughest in my lifetime.

..and we need to move some distance towards that again if FV are to realise the success of their 'project'.

First priority for me. A midfield general who takes no prisoners.

29 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

First priority for me. A midfield general who takes no prisoners.

Any of Frandsen, Sheridan or Pollock in their prime would be our best player now. Aggression, skill, goals and game management but the fact they had those meant they were Championship/Prem players, we can't get or afford players with these attributes right now.

8 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Haven’t yet read it but he loves us. I cried when he left 😂 others were rejoicing at getting >£4m. 

I loved him but still can't forgive his miss at Blackburn :) Great servant to the club and part of my favourite Wanderers side.

19 minutes ago, perth_white said:

I loved him but still can't forgive his miss at Blackburn :) Great servant to the club and part of my favourite Wanderers side.

Still never seen that back. First ever away. Dropped some serious points that season when only one more would’ve done.  

Just now, woolli said:

Lets hope Evatt and co read the article.

They can read it but can't emulate what that side had. I can read guitar theory but can't play like Clapton, I just don't have the ability.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, perth_white said:

They can read it but can't emulate what that side had. I can read guitar theory but can't play like Clapton, I just don't have the ability.

No, but I'll bet he's shit as a midfield general.

3 minutes ago, perth_white said:

You dont need ability to give 100%, and not shit out of tackles!

41 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Haven’t yet read it but he loves us. I cried when he left 😂 others were rejoicing at getting >£4m. 

Was wounded when he went. Especially to them smelly chicken shaggers. I’ve always felt he loved us. No evidence to back this up

1 minute ago, woolli said:

You dont need ability to give 100%, and not shit out of tackles!

That side weren't simply about attitude, they were better footballers than our current players. Even if they gave it everything they had they still wouldn't compare.

3 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

No, but I'll bet he's shit as a midfield general.

Nah, great technique and plays at a superb tempo. A bit like Sheehan but would also try and steal his mates wife, so has that shithousery about him.

1 minute ago, perth_white said:

That side weren't simply about attitude, they were better footballers than our current players. Even if they gave it everything they had they still wouldn't compare.

No shit Sherlock!  Prem players versus  3rd division players! I would suggest thats quite an easy assumption to make!

58 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

He wouldnt last 10 mins in any game with the current interpretations of the rules.

I disagree, there's an art to making tackles, being in the right place, reading the game, organising other players and playing the right pass.  Karl Henry had all that in spades, he didn't go around kicking players for fun, he wasn't that daft.  He would pick up less bookings than Tomo does if he was playing now, he had nous and know how and was decent on the ball, with his strength he could hold onto possession, we knew he wasn't going to get brushed aside like a few do in our team.

Gary O'Neill had a lot of those qualities too, a bit more dynamic and forward thinking, what a leader he was too.