Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nathan blake

W.cramp

Great interview with Blake, quality stuff.

Did anyone else look at the accompanying picture of Burnden v Charlton and do a double take?  The Manny Road looks as if its on the "wrong" side - Lever End at far end, that should be Burnden Paddock next to it.  The perspective of where the picture is taken from doesn't make sense, fans didn't stand there, the space was taken up by the supermarket.  I suspect some manipulation!

5 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Which is the exactly the point I made earlier 

I wiil explain my point to you again! Doesnt matter what league you play in, you dont need ability to give 100%

4 minutes ago, woolli said:

I wiil explain my point to you again! Doesnt matter what league you play in, you dont need ability to give 100%

And application without ability won't actually get you anywhere but please keep explaining things to me.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

John Sheridan was probably the hardest of the whole lot. He'd start a row in an empty room.

Total pisspot and fucking nails with it :D

Apparently Fairclough was the one no-one wanted to fuck with.... But there were some seriously hard lads in that team. 

10 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Apparently Fairclough was the one no-one wanted to fuck with.... But there were some seriously hard lads in that team. 

And Bryan Small😂

That team were nails and could play too

16 minutes ago, perth_white said:

That side weren't simply about attitude, they were better footballers than our current players. Even if they gave it everything they had they still wouldn't compare.

That's true, I don't see the current side pulling out of tackles as such, they just lack the natural strength and technique to win the ball, players like JDC, Williams, Sheehan aren't built for the physical stuff, you can't train that.  FWIW Scott Sellars wasn't either, I can remember plenty of times he got stick for not getting "stuck in", let's not pretend every match in that era was a constant flow of positivity, Blake got plenty of stick if he went 2 or 3 games without scoring.  But overall that side was as good as it gets at championship level, a pleasure to watch them.

• Members
8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Haha he was only one of team not to get stuck in v Wolves :D

Can't imagine David Lee doing 

Got talking to Iwan Roberts once. Really nice bloke

Brought up that match and he said whilst we were a quality team we were also hard as fuck 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great interview with Blake, quality stuff.

Did anyone else look at the accompanying picture of Burnden v Charlton and do a double take?  The Manny Road looks as if its on the "wrong" side - Lever End at far end, that should be Burnden Paddock next to it.  The perspective of where the picture is taken from doesn't make sense, fans didn't stand there, the space was taken up by the supermarket.  I suspect some manipulation!

IMG_2660.thumb.png.976a416c8abb04f8e353b6487dd4c76e.png

Yes!

Was looking at it for ages and dismissed it as my hangover playing tricks on me 🤣

Edited by desperado

6 hours ago, perth_white said:

that was possibly the toughest buch of bastards ever to wear the white shirt

In the Premier League era, I agree. In my lifetime, the 70s team of Allardyce, Jones, et al, would have been at least a match.

Neither, though, would have caused the slightest blink from the 50s team of the Banks brothers, Hartle, Higgins and, of course, Sir Nat.

Top bloke, he moved to Walkden when he first signed and I pretty much kitted his house out with “off the back of a lorry” electrical items. He was on 4k a week when he signed and he wanted me to knock £50 off a washer dryer so he could make some money on his brother. 

52 minutes ago, royal white said:

Top bloke, he moved to Walkden when he first signed and I pretty much kitted his house out with “off the back of a lorry” electrical items. He was on 4k a week when he signed and he wanted me to knock £50 off a washer dryer so he could make some money on his brother. 

These 2 statements are at odds with each other. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, desperado said:

Yes!

Was looking at it for ages and dismissed it as my hangover playing tricks on me 🤣

Can't get my head round it

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, desperado said:

Yes!

27 minutes ago, Zico said:

Can't get my head round it

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I disagree, there's an art to making tackles, being in the right place, reading the game, organising other players and playing the right pass.  Karl Henry had all that in spades, he didn't go around kicking players for fun, he wasn't that daft.  He would pick up less bookings than Tomo does if he was playing now, he had nous and know how and was decent on the ball, with his strength he could hold onto possession, we knew he wasn't going to get brushed aside like a few do in our team.

Gary O'Neill had a lot of those qualities too, a bit more dynamic and forward thinking, what a leader he was too.  

Henry was booked 13 times in the 33 games he played for us. once every 2.58 games.

Tomo has 36 bookings in 123 games for us. Once every 3.42 games. (plus a couple of Reds)

I think you are remembering a player with rose tinted glasses.

O'Neil, however, I agree completely.

25 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Henry was booked 13 times in the 33 games he played for us. once every 2.58 games.

Tomo has 36 bookings in 123 games for us. Once every 3.42 games. (plus a couple of Reds)

I think you are remembering a player with rose tinted glasses.

O'Neil, however, I agree completely.

You're probably right!  Fair enough, I didn't recall him getting booked a lot but clearly he did.  Tomo's stats are generous, last season didn't he average a booking every other game?  Most were just daft/pointless, and your stats suggest he's got worse, that he never used to have that rash side to his game.  Definitely wouldn't put tackling at the top of his qualities.

7 hours ago, Rival Son said:

In the Premier League era, I agree. In my lifetime, the 70s team of Allardyce, Jones, et al, would have been at least a match.

Neither, though, would have caused the slightest blink from the 50s team of the Banks brothers, Hartle, Higgins and, of course, Sir Nat.

Both those eras are before my time although I was a nipper for the Allardyce side. I imagine both those were absolute nails. The 50s sides would have been a different level, my Granddad knew Nat and it really was a much harder world back then, I remember him saying he used to catch rabbits and if he didn't get one they didn't eat meat that day, tough times.

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You're probably right!  Fair enough, I didn't recall him getting booked a lot but clearly he did.  Tomo's stats are generous, last season didn't he average a booking every other game?  Most were just daft/pointless, and your stats suggest he's got worse, that he never used to have that rash side to his game.  Definitely wouldn't put tackling at the top of his qualities.

23 bookings last season for Tomo, in 49 appearances. 17 in 42 league games. No problem with that except too many were daft ones, plus, of course, it builds up to suspensions.

It's unrealistic comparing that with earlier times as the tolerance levels are so different.

The 1950's team were legendarily hard nuts though, even in a hard era. I never viewed the Armfield/Greaves teams as notably hard but the Allardyce teams could mix it.

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its the unnecessariness of most of Tomos bookings that frustrate. Very rarely is he taking one for the team.

Extrapolate Tomos record breaking season of 42 games to Henrys appearances, and Henrys 13 bookings rises to 20, not much difference between the two, bookings wise.