Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nathan blake

W.cramp

Don’t care how many times I’ve posted this, and I never felt lucky at the time as I wanted to go every week, but I guess I’m pretty fortunate that my one game at Burnden was the Battle of Burnden game.

And also pretty fortunate(!) that my godparents got burgled on Christmas Eve ‘96 so the Wolves ticket was my replacement Christmas present!

Edited by Leyther_Matt

18 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

McGinlay too - see pic above; he's the one on the deck.

Him and the Villa keeper (think it was bosnich) having a nice chinwag while Todd was kicking the shit out of Stan Collymore, was one of the highlights of that incident 

• Site Supporter
On 16/06/2024 at 10:00, Whitesince63 said:

Serious question, do you think he’d have lasted in an Evatt team or dressing room.

As in "due to clash of character" with Evatt?

I don't know.

When Blake first arrived some fans were not impressed. I recall him getting booed for 'not trying' when, in fact, he'd simply not chased a lost cause. I accept there's a fine line but it rapidly became argued that he'd not given full effort.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

When Blake first arrived some fans were not impressed. I recall him getting booed for 'not trying' when, in fact, he'd simply not chased a lost cause. I accept there's a fine line but it rapidly became argued that he'd not given full effort.

My biggest groan about him was that he'd pick an early yellow card through stupidity, like mouthing off at the ref, then lose the edge he could bring 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Didn't Mark Patterson go the other way as part of the deal?

Yep, story in Paddy’s book about doing the deal in Premier Inn, Wakefield.

Him and Kendall on one table, Hargreaves, Blake, Todd, McFarland across the room.

Too many people to quote on this thread but what wouldnt you give for the team we had in the Battle of Burnden (the touch paper was lit  in the last 2 minutes of the fixture at Wolves ).

There is an interview with Gerry Taggart where he says he was always up for a scrap and couldnt wait to get involved Vs wolves . Fastest he ever moved was when he sprinted 30 yards to twat steve bull but by then Fairclough had laid most of them out anyway . He roomed with Fairclough (nik-named Mamba) and said he looked like he was carved out of granite rather than born a human. And with a midfield of pollock sheridan and Tomo , Frontline of Blake & McGinlay they were scared of no-one. Oh and McGinlay got up of the deck and started windmilling like fuck. Ive still got the "highlights" on vhs somewhere. 

Iwan roberts was no soft touch either so for him to say that team were hard as fuck carries weight imo. 

As for the rabbit catching thing, my grandad said and did the same thing but there were no traps. How fuckin nimble do you have to be to go in a field and chase and catch rabbits by hand ? 

15 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Think he was well overweight when he first signed and had a Jason Lee style haircut that was cursed. 

• Members
10 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

I can’t find the clip, but he was asked to take part in a music video for an unofficial song for Wales 2016 Euros campaign… he wanted £350 so they went with Rob Earnshaw instead 🤣

Cardiff supporting mate says he smashed up a fruit machine after he spent his money and won fuck all

They had the chant "He's black, he's mean, he robbed a fruit machine, Nathan Blake, Nathan Blake"

3 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Think he was well overweight when he first signed and had a Jason Lee style haircut that was cursed. 

He was certaining carrying weight. I don't recall the Pineapple cut but you could be right.

7 hours ago, tomski said:

Taggart punching Steve Bull is the type of stuff I get out of bed for. Loved that team

Taggart picked up a Wolves guy called Smith, by the throat & shook him like a rag doll for quite a few seconds before dropping him like a microphone.

Magnificent. 

On 19/06/2024 at 07:23, Krimzon said:

Too many people to quote on this thread but what wouldnt you give for the team we had in the Battle of Burnden (the touch paper was lit  in the last 2 minutes of the fixture at Wolves ).

There is an interview with Gerry Taggart where he says he was always up for a scrap and couldnt wait to get involved Vs wolves . Fastest he ever moved was when he sprinted 30 yards to twat steve bull but by then Fairclough had laid most of them out anyway . He roomed with Fairclough (nik-named Mamba) and said he looked like he was carved out of granite rather than born a human. And with a midfield of pollock sheridan and Tomo , Frontline of Blake & McGinlay they were scared of no-one. Oh and McGinlay got up of the deck and started windmilling like fuck. Ive still got the "highlights" on vhs somewhere. 

Iwan roberts was no soft touch either so for him to say that team were hard as fuck carries weight imo. 

As for the rabbit catching thing, my grandad said and did the same thing but there were no traps. How fuckin nimble do you have to be to go in a field and chase and catch rabbits by hand ? 

That's an often overlooked fact about Fairclough being absolutely fucking nails.

But yes that squad were never bullied.