Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My honest opinion of Englands chances in Germany

jazza

I am pretty, very even, optimistic about our chances.

BUT it's a knockout tournament, you can't say with any certainty that any team will win.

I base my optimism on the fact that we still over-rate foreign teams and players, our players are easily as good and we have more top level players than most. I think our players have a belief and mentality on the big stage that we didn't have in years gone by.

I also expect the Germans to be a force to be reckoned with, but they could go the other way and crumble under the pressure. That is not something Germans do often though...

Not a chance of that i dont think, the Germans have a piss poor squad right now. poorer than it has ever been, if germay are going to do anything in this tournament, they will have to be extremly organised, which is something that the germans are good at, but i really cant see them doing anything in this WC. [-o<

Cliche perhaps but don't write off the Germans. They got to the last WC Final less than a year after being slaughtered by England.

This was due to being an organised unit and having the luck of the draw. This time they have home advantage.

BUT it's a knockout tournament, you can't say with any certainty that any team will win.

I base my optimism on the fact that we still over-rate foreign teams and players, our players are easily as good and we have more top level players than most. I think our players have a belief and mentality on the big stage that we didn't have in years gone by.

I also expect the Germans to be a force to be reckoned with, but they could go the other way and crumble under the pressure. That is not something Germans do often though...

Not a chance of that i dont think, the Germans have a piss poor squad right now. poorer than it has ever been, if germay are going to do anything in this tournament, they will have to be extremly organised, which is something that the germans are good at, but i really cant see them doing anything in this WC. [-o<

Six finals in the last ten - many of them when they'd been written off - suggests they know what's what in the big tournaments.

Never underestimate the power of the host nation either.

About reet there i'd say.

By the way Ricci,it's DYING for your country not DIEING.Just thought i'd mention it like :D

My money is on either the Italians or the Portugese but I haven't discounted the obvious brazilians argies english dutch french or spanish.

i used to be undecided but I'm not sure now

The Germans defence is simply not good enough, if costa rica can cut them open like they are not even there, then imagine what Brazil can do.

or even better, England. :D

P.S. Sorted out the 'Dying' thing. :D

I think the Argies will win it.
So do I

and the bookies are being generous at odds of 9/1

when we see what the odds are in two weeks time we will be kicking ourselves for not slapping a monkey on 8-[

i have my money on them,

i was going to leave it till after the group stages with them being in a tough group but dont want to miss out on the generous odds on offer.10.5 on betfair.

• Members
As a Scot (who hates haggis and kilts before you start on me) I reckon England are in the second tier of teams in the cup but not without a chance. I have nothing against the team or man on the street who supports his country, fair play to you, it's the media I f??ckin hate.

Your squad is a total mish-mash of world class and complete no hopers picked by a clown of a manager (In my opinion) you have

Robinson -- no Shilton or Clemence but a decent keeper

James -- you never know what you are getting, can be brilliant or a liability

Carson -- Who??? there must be a more proven keeper than him, even Martyn

Neville -- Don't rate the munich red ginger but fair enough proven international

Ferdinand -- Decent enough

Cole -- Not proven fit but a good defender

Terry -- Quality

Campbell -- Totally lost his form and not to be relied on

Carragher -- Good squad player, can play in a few positions but NOT the holding midfield role.

Bridge -- Lost his way and looked an average player with Fulham.

Beckham -- Don't like the c??nt but good player

Carrick -- Only there 'cause he plays with Spurs .. VERY average

Lampard -- Great pro, scores goals and makes them, quality

Gerrard -- For me the best European midfielder

Hargreaves -- Apart from his dad being a bolton fan I can think of nothing postive to say about him.

Jenas -- A poor mans Kevin Nolan... another Spurs stump!

Downing -- Don't really rate him either but I suppose he can kick with his left foot.

Joe Cole -- total cockney w??nker but can play a bit if given space.

Lennon -- Quick but not proven.. more Spurs bias from Sven.

Rooney -- scouse scum who isn't fit. Good player but WAYYYYY over-rated.

Owen -- Englands one true striker, good goalscorer but again not fully fit.

Crouch -- There isn't a word in the English language to say how sh??te he is

Walcott -- compete joke selection. makes a mockery of pros like Marcus Bent who have worked their boll??cks off all season.

I am being honest here and rackon the quarters are as far as England can go, I just can't see who is going to score your goals.

Obviously you don't hate England as you live there. I reckon England are quarter final certs and will probaby go further. I think we almost agreed on something there Jazza!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.