Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

england not peaked yet?

Man_Walking_Dog

well thats what some of the team and so called pundits are saying after todays game with Ecuador. my worry is that they will probably not play much better that what they already have. if that is the case then we will have to hope that the opposition from now on have off days if we are to progress.

We maybe moved from 2nd gear today into 3rd, I'm still hopeful that we have a good team all round. Today we even started looking like we were playing for each other.(Gerrard and Lampard aside)

• Moderators
I thought England were sh??te all game. Compared to the Agrentina Mexico match it was like watching amateurs.

is shite an adjective for 'worse than scotland'

just that if it is, we weren't

not close

I thought England were sh??te all game. Compared to the Agrentina Mexico match it was like watching amateurs.

not close

If Scotland had the expectations that England do I would have been slating the performance. I couldn't give a f??ck if England play well or not but gave my opinion that you were the poorest team I have seen so far in the last 8. Germany cruised through against a team England struggled against, Argentina and Mexico were both really good and the Argies look like going far in the tournament. Portugal played ok but the referee ruined the match and has given England a right lift with Deco and Costinha being out with some disgraceful decisions.

As for Scotland, we have punched well above our weight for years and now we are having a poor spell, though Walter Smith seems to have turned things around. And I will remind you that the last time we played you was at Wembley and it was Scotland 1 England 0 with a Don

Hutchinson goal.

not close

If Scotland had the expectations that England do I would have been slating the performance. I couldn't give a f??ck if England play well or not but gave my opinion that you were the poorest team I have seen so far in the last 8. Germany cruised through against a team England struggled against, Argentina and Mexico were both really good and the Argies look like going far in the tournament. Portugal played ok but the referee ruined the match and has given England a right lift with Deco and Costinha being out with some disgraceful decisions.

As for Scotland, we have punched well above our weight for years and now we are having a poor spell, though Walter Smith seems to have turned things around. And I will remind you that the last time we played you was at Wembley and it was Scotland 1 England 0 with a Don

Hutchinson goal.

What the fcuk have expectations got to do with it?

And punching above your weight? When was this? I can't remember seeing you in the knockout stages of any tournaments?

not close

Hutchinson goal.

What the fcuk have expectations got to do with it?

And punching above your weight? When was this? I can't remember seeing you in the knockout stages of any tournaments?

The English have expectations of winning the tournament. I live here and hear it all the time. Fair play, I have no problem with the optimism but disagree totally, England were shite today.

As for Scotland punching above our weight. We are a country of 5 million people and have been to 5 World cups out of the past 8. That is some achievment and while we have well and truly f??cked up every time we have been there I have loved every one of the tournaments. We might get back one day but not for a while.

JAMES! England today deserved their victory! We will no doubt ALWAYS get further than any Jock team ever produced in any tournament! FACT!

Agreed! I think the Argies and the Brazilians will be the teams to beat but in reality its better than hoping to beat the the Faroe Islands and Lichtenstein to actually qualify!?

....and you are right! it will be a LONG while before you ever qualify for any tournament! It must pain you! England willl always qualify! it does help when you have better players though! SCOTLAND are PANTS! FACT! :D

Oh and by the way if I was born 20 miles further south I would be chuffed as f??ck and telling the jock c??nt to f??ck off and that England were going to win the tournament.

but I wasn't, so COME ON PORTUGAL!!

Scotlands jealousy and hatred towards their bigger and better neighbours is in danger of getting out of hand when a grown man beats up a 7 year old kid in Scotland for wearing an England shirt. ](*,)

I agree but we have our idiots as well.

I like Jazza's attitude - we could do with more of that all round.

fcuk Jazza.

We expect to win tournaments and fail.

They expect to fail and deliver.

Well Mr Braveraggingheart I know which attitiude I would rather have.

If i had nt seen such riches I could live with being poor.

JAMES!

Yes Andrew?

Just winding you sassenachs up a bit, you know me

:D

Hello Andy & James.

Whilst I agree we have played poorly, yesterdays second half showing gave me a small amount of optimisim. The shackles of fear lifted once the goal went in and we started to keep the ball better in extreme heat, something we have not done in years. England will play better when they come up against Portugal as the level of expectation will not quite be the same and Portugal will be nervous too. I agree that the loss of two of Portugals best player is a massive plus for England and Figo may yet follow if fifa act, they also have 5 players on yellow cards. However Scolari is by far the best manager in the tournament and that is a plus for them. Then again Rooney finally began to get into gear in the last 20 minutes and Lennon looked very sharp

So hey its one game and to me theres 50:50 chance of England being in the semi and thus being there for the full duration of the tournament.

I agree.The Portugal game should be a bit more open,and we should get a bit more space. I'ts been hard playing against the teams that put 11 men behind the ball,Portugal will come at us a bit more.

I don't see "riverdance" Ronaldo being fit for the game either (cos he's a mard arse) and if FIFA look into Figo's girly attempt at a head butt he could be out too :D

Lets batter the fcukers,revenge for Euro 04.

! We will no doubt ALWAYS get further than any Jock team ever produced in any tournament! FACT!

It must pain you! England willl always qualify! it does help when you have better players though! SCOTLAND are PANTS! FACT! :D

1974, 1978 anybody. Where were England.

If all the teams play to the standard that they have already played at, then Argentina are head and shoulders above the rest and England are just in the chasing pack.

england not peaked yet?
England's 'peak' with the players we have left and the formation we are playing falls well short of Argentina's 'peak' with a full strength squad and players on their bench that would walk straight into England's team.

Brazil are the only team that have the potential to match the Argies but if they play to the standard that they are doing, they will struggle to beat Ghana or Spain/France. Brazil have better players on their bench than they have in the starting line-up but the manager still picks Emerson and Ronaldo because they are big name players with a reputation and the rest of the team are carrying them.

! We will no doubt ALWAYS get further than any Jock team ever produced in any tournament! FACT!

It must pain you! England willl always qualify! it does help when you have better players though! SCOTLAND are PANTS! FACT! :D

missing 74 was the start of the decline, a combination of poor finishing, brilliant goalkeeping, last gasp defending and Ramsey's negligence in underestimating the poles plus a howlers from the usually reliable Moore in the away game affected England for years. We also failed to qualify for the 76 Euros, just at the time our clubs were cleaning up in Europe too.

But the mother of all cock ups has got to be Graham Taylors dismal management from 1990 to 1993 and the failure to get to the USA 1994. I still cannot fathom how someone take a team that reched the last 4 in a World Cup, take it apart and come up with a long ball strategy that belonged in thre 1920's.

But the mother of all cock ups has got to be Graham Taylors dismal management from 1990 to 1993 and the failure to get to the USA 1994.

Yep one of the biggest cock ups and disapointments for me. I was in the States during the world cup and had nothing but Septics giving it "You guys didn't even make the finals...blah blah". Tossers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.