Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Wembley

Sweep

I had the pleasure of going to the new Wembley yesterday to watch my local team (Stevenage Borough) play in the FA Trophy Final. I must say, even though the stadium came in a millions and millions of pounds over budget and a couple of years late.....................it was worth the wait, what a stadium it is. Without doubt the best stadium I have ever had the privilage to visit.

Even thought there were only a shade over 53,000 people there, the atmosphere in the place was superb, as the roof seems to keep all the noise in. Before and during the match there was no problem getting a pint, as they have a superb systems in place, with what seems like hundreds of bars all along the concourses, with pre-poured pints, that just need "topping up", so you are served, and away in a matter of seconds. Priced at ?3.50 a pint as well, I didn't think it was too expensive.........well no more than you would spend in a London pub anyway.

Hopefully we can get there at some point in the near future with Bolton, because it is a fantastic place

my dad was looking into going watching morecambe next week to see the new wembley, but has left it too late (in other words he cant be bothered)

must admit, I would like to have a nosy round, dont know when Bolton will get there.

I had the pleasure of going to the new Wembley yesterday to watch my local team (Stevenage Borough) play in the FA Trophy Final. I must say, even though the stadium came in a millions and millions of pounds over budget and a couple of years late.....................it was worth the wait, what a stadium it is. Without doubt the best stadium I have ever had the privilage to visit.

Even thought there were only a shade over 53,000 people there, the atmosphere in the place was superb, as the roof seems to keep all the noise in. Before and during the match there was no problem getting a pint, as they have a superb systems in place, with what seems like hundreds of bars all along the concourses, with pre-poured pints, that just need "topping up", so you are served, and away in a matter of seconds. Priced at ?3.50 a pint as well, I didn't think it was too expensive.........well no more than you would spend in a London pub anyway.

Hopefully we can get there at some point in the near future with Bolton, because it is a fantastic place

What pubs do you go to? :blink:

Off to Wembley for the England v Brazil game, typical England FA playing a fooking friendly 6 days before a qualifier, it also means a trip to darn souf, overnight stay in Harrow on the Hill then home on Saturday, 3 days earning brownie points with 'er indoors then 3 days in Estonia, come on England

It may be a great stadium, but it is in a fookin awful location, an industrial estate with one way in and out. Imagine the chaos if two northern teams play there in a cup final, where getting on the tube home is not exactly an option. There are no pubs nearby, nothing to do except spend your hard earned on over-priced (?3.50 a pint!) crap in the ground itself. It will make the facilities and car parking around the Reebok seem like paradise. Luckily for us I don't suppose we'll be paying a visit any time soon :blink:

I'm off there next week for the Exeter/Morecambe play off. Heard the Green Man nearby is ok. Any LW (or Yossi) got comments.

Edited by H

I'm off there next week for the Exeter/Morecambe play off. Heard the Green Man nearby is ok. Any LW (or Yossi) got comments.

It's been 26 long years since West Ham went to Wembley!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.