Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leed United

Sweep

Other punishments taken from a report in June 2005:

Swindon won promotion through the play-offs to the old Division One in 1990.

But after being found guilty of illegal payments to players the Wiltshire club were demoted two divisions.

This was reduced to one division on appeal - leaving the Robins exactly where they started.

Middlesbrough were docked three points and fined ?50,000 after calling off their match at Blackburn with only 24 hours notice in 1997.

A law introduced last season imposes a 10-point fine for clubs going into administration during the season.

Wrexham were duly hit with a 10-point penalty last December and were relegated from League One at the end of the campaign. And League Two Cambridge were hit by the same punishment in April after their relegation was confirmed.

Conference side Northwich had a points tally of minus six when new owner Mike Connet bought them last November after administration saw them fined 10 points.

Amazingly, the Vics managed to avoid relegation, finishing fourth from bottom.

Chesterfield were docked nine points and fined ?20,000 for financial irregularities in 2001.

Arsenal were docked two points and Manchester United one, with both club's fined ?50,000, after an on-the-pitch brawl in the 1990-91 season.

Blimey, I feel like Sluffy now. :blink:

Guest Uncle_Northy
Fall from grace or what!

Leeds will bounce back.

Every teams has a ''bad spell''

remember our fall from grace?

from the old first to the 4th division in 9 years.

Guest Uncle_Northy
Times are hard if your a Leeds supporter, but must admit, watching Bolton away when we were crap, was the most enjoyable times ive ever had.

Aye, watching us get thrashed 4-0 at scarboro, and a cold ..ragging cold neet at hartlepool brings back a few memories.

also gettin cups of hot bovril,and cups of piss thrown down on us at wolves, bring back good memories.

also getting a bottle smashed over my head @ chesterfield brings back good memories.

i'd swap it for nothing :rofl:

Edited by Uncle_Northy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/6937521.stm

Leeds have lost their appeal against a 15-point deduction for the start of the new season following a breach of the Football League's insolvency policy.

The chairmen of the other 71 Football League clubs voted "overwhelmingly" to sanction Leeds and then again to uphold the original punishment.

In both cases, the outcome was higher than a 75% majority vote.

Leeds chairman Ken Bates had insisted the League One outfit had not broken any rules.

However, he has no option other than to accept the punishment, with League chairman Lord Mawhinney confirming the club had no right to take legal action.

Lord Mawhinney said: "We have an agreement with Leeds, signed by both the League and the club, that they will not take any legal action against us and we will not take any legal action against them.

"That is a standard part of the agreement that every club signs when it comes out of administration.

"That has not been generated for the benefit of Leeds United, we've done that in the last 40 administrations and we did in this one as well."

The chairman of Leeds United Supporters' Club, Ray Fell, was understandably disappointed after the failure of the appeal.

He told BBC Five Live: "It is a tremendous blow to the fans and to the players. We were hoping that they might consider the fans' point of view and we have all been writing to that end.

"But, obviously, they are adamant that Leeds United have not dealt with it properly."

Before the vote, Elland Road supremo Bates had sent a letter to all Football league chairmen, arguing that the punishment was a "breach of natural justice".

It was imposed on 4 August, the same day that Leeds were granted their 'golden share', which allowed them to compete in the Football League this coming season.

The share had been suspended when Leeds went into administration at the end of last season, a decision that automatically incurred a 10-point penalty and thus sealed their relegation from the Championship.

The League want clubs coming out of administration to do so via a company voluntary arrangement (CVA), with football creditors paid in full.

Leeds' creditors originally opted for the club to be sold back to Bates via a CVA.

But HM Revenue and Customs, unhappy at the plans by Bates to pull the club out of administration by paying creditors only eight pence in every ?1, mounted a legal challenge.

The matter went to a High Court hearing in Leeds. Preliminary hearings were held on 6 July, with a date set for the full case to be heard in September - sparking fears the club might not start the season.

Administrators KPMG subsequently put the club up for sale.

Bates then bought the club back off KPMG in a deal that could eventually be worth more than 50p in every ?1 for creditors.

But the purchase meant that the club had not come out of administration via a CVA - with the League imposing their subsequent 15-point penalty for the breach of policy.

In a statement, Leeds said: "We are amazed by the perverse outcome of Thursday's meeting of Football League clubs.

"The only winner is HMRC and we believe the full ramifications of the decision will adversely affect football going forward for many years.

"The club is considering its options but in the meantime will be concentrating on starting its promotion campaign at Tranmere on Saturday."

So its 15 then and they will still be promoted before the month of may comences!

Is that ok sweetheart??

They are building a team around Alan Thompson who was a great player in his time but he and a load of kids (all the good kids they had have already been snapped up remember) are not going to set the world alight.

Going down in my opinion

They are building a team around Alan Thompson who was a great player in his time but he and a load of kids (all the good kids they had have already been snapped up remember) are not going to set the world alight.

Going down in my opinion

Hope not, i want them to come back up. Just shows though what could happen in such a short space of time, any Leeds fan would have put their house on it if someone bet them in 2000 that by 2007 they will be in the 3rd tier of English football!

Hope not, i want them to come back up. Just shows though what could happen in such a short space of time, any Leeds fan would have put their house on it if someone bet them in 2000 that by 2007 they will be in the 3rd tier of English football!

Welcome to the madhouse, Parker.

I don't think there'll be many on here who share your hope of seeing Leeds rise from their current depths. I'd be happier seeing them go down again.

DYB's.

When I first met my missus (a Leeds fan), we were in the old 3rd division and they were

in the 1st division.

They got to the euro semis and I was regularly getting snide comments from all

associated with her family.

How times have changed. During this period, my son has been born and there

is NO question about who he supports !!

Leeds, the fans, the city, board, local papers etc all have 1 massive chip on their

shoulders.

I see now they are 5/2 to get relegated and I hope the downward spiral continues !!!!

:drinks:

Welcome to the madhouse, Parker.

I don't think there'll be many on here who share your hope of seeing Leeds rise from their current depths. I'd be happier seeing them go down again.

DYB's.

Cheers Traf, everyone to their own. They won't go up for at least a couple of seasons. Time will tell i guess!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.