Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Austria V Poland

L/H White

• Site Supporter
Christ, what tournament have you been watching?

they have been a lot better than expected,unlucky against croatia and should have been out of sight at half time v poland.

if you believed the hype,they were going to get whipped each game

Thats fair enough from Alf. Austria are ranked in the 100s aren't they, so I was expecting zero points from them by the end of the group. With better finishign they could now be sat on 4 points and just needing to draw with the sausage eaters to put them out.

Thats fair enough from Alf. Austria are ranked in the 100s aren't they, so I was expecting zero points from them by the end of the group. With better finishign they could now be sat on 4 points and just needing to draw with the sausage eaters to put them out.

Granted, they've not been slapped about as much as they might have been, but they've still been godawful. Suggesting they're capable of knocking out the Germans is crazy talk.

Remember the last time these two met in a major final? It was Spain 1982 in their final group match when they disgracefully played the old pals act.

The Germans had been embarrassingly beaten by Algeria in their first game but then hammered Chile to give them a good goal difference.However they needed to beat Austria in the final game as Algeria had had just beaten Chile.

Austria had beaten both Chile and Algeria and were assured to go through unless they lost by more than one goal.

Germany scored in the first 10 mins and the remaining 80 minutes was a game of keep ball.

It was after this game that FIFA changed the rules so that both games in final group matches are played simultaneously.

Its a shame Poland did not hang on so that both could have gone out.

Granted, they've not been slapped about as much as they might have been, but they've still been godawful. Suggesting they're capable of knocking out the Germans is crazy talk.

Poland, for the love of God, finished above Portugal in their qualifying group. Yet they never looked like scoring against the Germans, could have been 3 down in 20 minutes against mighty Austria and in fact needed an offside decision to go their way to score. At least Austria have had a go. If anyone deserves to go home early its the Poles.

• Moderators

Anyway, was that a pen? By the rules of the game, and watching in slowmo the defender grabs his shirt but the bloke is leaning into him. Surely it's 50/50 and let it go? To give a penalty in the 90th minute is madness, yes UEFA have backed him up but my money is on him not getting another game.

Anyway, was that a pen? By the rules of the game, and watching in slowmo the defender grabs his shirt but the bloke is leaning into him. Surely it's 50/50 and let it go? To give a penalty in the 90th minute is madness, yes UEFA have backed him up but my money is on him not getting another game.

I'm not convinced he'd have given it at the other end.

The commentators get on my tits, banging on about how it should be a penalty every time there?s a corner as if the attacking team just stick their hands down their pants and stand about patiently waiting for the ball to come in.

Its a pen for me every time (but not normally given) no problem with anyone "leaning" in, that?s all part of the game, the defender as every right to lean right back.

Let hope refs in the prem take it up next year Davies should get 4 or five a game on his own 8)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/7583783

Sod the plumber, even the Polish PM has stuck the boot in.

Yes, You see similar things not given day in & day out but generally its committed by defenders who are canny enough to do it on sly & often out of sight of the ref, making it very difficult nye on impossible for the ref to spot. In this instance Lewandoski is right in front of Howard Webb, don't think he had any choice other than to give it.

I reckon Webb will get a knockout game as a reward maybe even a semi final.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.