Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Worst Thing About The Result Is

SatanGreavsie

the fact there'll be Madrid coppers celebrating. C?nts :angry:

Just watching Sky News and folk seem to be having a jolly good time in Madrid with no sign of the thugs. Happen they just come out to play for foreigners.

I hope they're all getting pickpocketed as I type!

IMHO, I've never been to a capital city with ruder residents!

True, England have won nowt for 40 odd years, but i still think they are capable of beating any of the sides at Euro 08, therefore we should be capable of winning a tournament like this, we just never seem to get the bit of luck thats needed. An injury here, a sending off there, a bad Refs decision here, and a rank bad manager there, etc etc etc blah blah blah :D

Edited by Burndens Bogs

True, England have won nowt for 40 odd years, but i still think they are capable of beating any of the sides at Euro 08, therefore we should be capable of winning a tournament like this, we just never seem to get the bit of luck thats needed. An injury here, a sending off there, a bad Refs decision here, and a rank bad manager there, etc etc etc blah blah blah :D

More excuses than a scouser.

How the fcuk would we have beaten that Spain team for one? We'd be chasing more shadows than a desperate groupie (sorry).

How the fcuk would we have beaten that Spain team for one? We'd be chasing more shadows than a desperate groupie (sorry).

I'm probably not the best person to answer that, as i didn't watch any if it, but........................

Didn't Spain only win 1-0 against the worst German team for years?

At 1-0, there's always a chance.

PS Did Motson tell you not to write off the germans, even late on?

If England had been good enough to qualify, I'm sure we could have compared a poor German outfit to a poor England outfit.

I can't agree. The German's seem to have a talent for grinding out results without playing well. We don't.

If England had been good enough to qualify, I'm sure we could have compared a poor German outfit to a poor England outfit.

England were good enough to qualify - but they f?cked it up.Imo there's a cigarette paper between teams at that level, and the difference between success and failure can rest on a bit of luck - England don't seem to get that luck.Greece are a prime example, had a bit of luck at Euro 04 - and won it, yet with virtually the same side at this tournament - but without having the rub of the green, they found themselves eliminated after 2 games.

England were good enough to qualify - but they f?cked it up.Imo there's a cigarette paper between teams at that level, and the difference between success and failure can rest on a bit of luck - England don't seem to get that luck.Greece are a prime example, had a bit of luck at Euro 04 - and won it, yet with virtually the same side at this tournament - but without having the rub of the green, they found themselves eliminated after 2 games.

But if you stand still in football, you actually fall behind.

Hence the greek team were shite this time. Same team, all 4 yrs older.

But if you stand still in football, you actually fall behind.

Hence the greek team were shite this time. Same team, all 4 yrs older.

I know where you're both coming from (with the filter paper), but rather than luck I would say we tend to self-destruct.

1996 played well but out on pens

1998 out on pens and Beckham gets himself sent off

2000 threw away leads against Portugal and Romania through poor defending, bad keeping and a tactically clueless manager

2002 taught keep ball by 10 men

2004 out on pens

2006 out on pens

2008 not beating Macedonia at home seems to be the crux of not qualifying

I know where you're both coming from (with the filter paper), but rather than luck I would say we tend to self-destruct.

1996 played well but out on pens - unlucky

1998 out on pens and Beckham gets himself sent off -unlucky

2000 threw away leads against Portugal and Romania through poor defending, bad keeping and a tactically clueless manager - CORRECT

2002 taught keep ball by 10 men - Played Brazil off the park for 45 mins in 30c heat

2004 out on pens- unlucky

2006 out on pens- unlucky

2008 not beating Macedonia at home seems to be the crux of not qualifying- Should have pissed qualifying from this group, but a mixture of bad tactical management and individual errors - meant we didn't

Depends how you look at it <_<

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1996 played well but out on pens

1998 out on pens and Beckham gets himself sent off

2000 threw away leads against Portugal and Romania through poor defending, bad keeping and a tactically clueless manager

2002 taught keep ball by 10 men

2004 out on pens

2006 out on pens

2008 not beating Macedonia at home seems to be the crux of not qualifying

1990 - did not think that pens were part and parcel of the game

1996 - as above

1998 - as above

2000 played very poorly

2002 probably in the best position to win the thing since 1990 but were more interested in swapping shirts at HT with Brazil and wanted to come home. Thought that going out to Brazel in the QF was success!

2004 see 1990, but played negative football defending 1 goal leads

2006 as above but played poor frightened negative football

2008 played very poorly, poor goalkeeping and tried to defend a 1-0 lead again in Russia.

If we had qualified under McLaren we would not have gone past the first round as we would not have changed owt!

!!

Edited by Big_Girl_Oral_Explosion

If we'd have scraped through qualification, we'd also have got through the group stages.

We'd have lost in the quarter finals: as usual.

McClaren would, therefore, have done as well as his predecessors and kept his job.

Thnak f?ck we didn't qualify. That's not to say I think Crapello is the answer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.