Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guthrie To Toon

HR

With Newcastle reportedly having had a bid accepted, I would be very dissapointed if we didn't go for him too. Would be a great asset to our squad, such a young player.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's YW with "Megson's a mug, Big Sam would've bought him" ???

Might be a good'un a couple of years, but out of him and Muamba - I'll take Muamba

he's average and that's it. any good than average and Liverpool wouldnt be selling.

yeh or maybe the fact that hes still very very young and liverpool have many established midfielders currently

Average - that is absolute bollox! Im going to waste my time giving you a list of 'average'!

Both central midfielders, Guthrie doesn't have the power to break up play or the pace to attack effectively enough to warrant signing for anything more than ?1-1.5m in my humble opinion

Plus we have no idea if Megson is chasing/close to signing another midfield player who can do the above, so therfore no point in signing Guthrie, of couse we may not be trying to sign anyone, we will only know when the season starts.

The reason i sugest the difference is due to thinking Guthrie was more attack minded with the ability to create

where as you say, i thought Muamba was more of a break up the play midfielder as a strength!

Of course to some extent both players can do both!

as for attacking effectively, il wait and see...

We also don't know how much the Geordies are paying.

Rumour has it that the Milner deal rests on it, too.

You mean this is the Braaten in the Elmander sandwich?

he's having his medical today, ?2m fee.

don't know much about the lad, but the liverpool fans on other forums seem quite annoyed its only ?2m.

the 'if he was any good liverpool wouldnt be selling' brigade should look at david bentley.

pretty low risk for us at ?2m, but as i said i dont know anything about him

If we wanted to sign him, we would have done it ages ago.

this was posted on nufc.com on june 15th, they are usually pretty accurate.

Bolton officials have made it known that they expect to be unsuccessful in their attempts to sign midfielder Danny Guthrie - as the player is coming to SJP.

The 21 year-old spent last season on loan at the Reebok from Liverpool, having spent part of 2006/07 being borrowed by Southampton.

Released by Manchester United as a 15 year-old, Guthrie made three sub appearances for Liverpool - the last of which was at SJP in February 2007.

Guthrie has made 54 senior career appearances - his only goal to date coming in a League Cup victory at Craven Cottage, marking his Bolton debut.

I'd say in the current market that yes ?2million is a reasonable deal for a young english footballer with some potential....

But, I can't for the life of me say oooh I'd love us to sign him, as I don't know if he can really step up and make a big name for himself....yeah he has an okay touch...but he was slight, drifted in and out of the game and there wasn't a killer pass or end product really....maybe thats down to our style...i just don't know.

I'll put him in the undecided box.

Edited by Bigtoe

I'd say in the current market that yes ?2million is a reasonable deal for a young english footballer with some potential....

But, I can't for the life of me say oooh I'd love us to sign him, as I don't know if he can really step up and make a big name for himself....yeah he has an okay touch...but he was slight, drifted in and out of the game and there wasn't a killer pass or end product really....maybe thats down to our style...i just don't know.

I'll put him in the undecided box.

Could not agree more, he has that dreaded word 'potential' hanging over is head, he may reach it but so many footballers never do.

• Moderators
this was posted on nufc.com on june 15th, they are usually pretty accurate.

Bolton officials have made it known that they expect to be unsuccessful in their attempts to sign midfielder Danny Guthrie - as the player is coming to SJP.

The 21 year-old spent last season on loan at the Reebok from Liverpool, having spent part of 2006/07 being borrowed by Southampton.

Released by Manchester United as a 15 year-old, Guthrie made three sub appearances for Liverpool - the last of which was at SJP in February 2007.

Guthrie has made 54 senior career appearances - his only goal to date coming in a League Cup victory at Craven Cottage, marking his Bolton debut.

That will be some geordie fool thinking they have got one over on a bigger club. The fact is, If Bolton wanted to sign him, they would have done it at the end of the season, not 2 months later. Gary Megson doesnt want him. FACT. You are now signing Bolton rejects!

Big club my arse!

That will be some geordie fool thinking they have got one over on a bigger club. The fact is, If Bolton wanted to sign him, they would have done it at the end of the season, not 2 months later. Gary Megson doesnt want him. FACT. You are now signing Bolton rejects!

Big club my arse!

where did i mention big club?

i wont let that stop your little obsessive tirade though.

what's your view on him? any good?

Not bad, not great. Maybe potential there, worth a punt for a couple of million - if you can afford to punt for a couple of million. I'm glad we got Muamba over him, but would've had him as a squad player, maybe loaned him to a Championship side for a year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.