Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Credit Charge Fees?

Does anyone know why we now have to pay surcharges if you make purchases on a credit card??

Unless my memory is going I am sure 3/4 years ago this was never the case.

But then again supermarkets and Argos for example don't, but airlines/holidays etc do?

i know the vendor gets charged on the transaction, hence the minimum spend signs you occasionally see, which is fair enough, but seems a cheek to be charged for the privilege of spending your money.

Just interested as to why this is and what has changed if anyone can enlighten me? Thanks

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Moderators
Ikea does too. Though I've not a clue why, other than I do know that credit card companies charge companies for being able to use their facilities.

there you have it

i recently made a big purchase

it was +2% for credit card and CASH

no surcharge for debit card

I think they all charge but most take it off the bill first and then apply the charge. I think there will be a note about it on some receipts.

A bit before my time but shops used to advertise the fact they took plastic as a marketing tool to entice you to spend at their outlet, they did not charge you for the privilege, but took the hit themselves as a business cost?

But something appears to have changed? Has the law altered to allow merchants to now pass on these fees?

Edited by JimmyRiddle

I think its just that bank charges are so f?ckin high now, folk have topass it onto the customer. you think, every time a customer goes through a till at Ikea, its costing them (say) 60p. Thats a lot of 60 pences is that which all adds up.

I cant work out how we get charged for paying money in, and charged for taking it out again?

We use on line authorisation at our place

It's a standard fee for any payment over ?50 and it costs 90p per transaction via Barclays

So the simple fact is that anybody charging your 2%, etc is a f?cking thief

But, that's the travel industry all over for you, add ons galore

Does anyone know why we now have to pay surcharges if you make purchases on a credit card??

Unless my memory is going I am sure 3/4 years ago this was never the case.

But then again supermarkets and Argos for example don't, but airlines/holidays etc do?

i know the vendor gets charged on the transaction, hence the minimum spend signs you occasionally see, which is fair enough, but seems a cheek to be charged for the privilege of spending your money.

Just interested as to why this is and what has changed if anyone can enlighten me? Thanks

The law was changed a couple of years ago. Before then it wasn't legal to make a surcharge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.