Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Istanbul Advice

I have got an overnight stop in Istanbul and wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do, where to go? given I will only have 1 night and 1 morning there?

Will probably be staying at an airport hotel, so could do with advice on best(cheapest) transport in and out of the city too?

Cheers

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Moderators
carlos, as an ex resident will be along soon

It's a dodgy city and I've not been since Besiktas but, you aren't going to see much in 1 day and 1 morning. Taxis are cheap, get one to Sultanamet Jami (Blue Mosque) (be careful at night though), Topkapi Palace and then down to the Bosphorus near the Besiktas ground (Dolmabahce) or Ortakoy. Quick trip to Taksim Sq and down Istiklal Caddesi and you are done!

NEVER GO IN A BAR IF SOMEONE BEFRIENDS YOU, THE COST CAN VARY FROM ?10 A BEER TO ???.

NEVER GO IN A BAR IF SOMEONE BEFRIENDS YOU, THE COST CAN VARY FROM ?10 A BEER TO ???.

My Father-In-Law was in Istanbul on business last year, he was "befriended" and taken to a bar, he ended up having to fork out over ?500 for a couple of beers. He said he was going to kick off..........until the rather large, nasty looking bouncers arrived, so he paid his bill and promptly cleared off.

I have got an overnight stop in Istanbul and wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do, where to go? given I will only have 1 night and 1 morning there?

Will probably be staying at an airport hotel, so could do with advice on best(cheapest) transport in and out of the city too?

Cheers

Just dont go!

• Moderators

As we know, I can blend in over there but if you have "tourist" stamped on your head you need to be careful. Other than that it's a great place. Definately try the kebabs.

• Moderators
Is that the only serious warning Carlos? I've never been but do fancy giving it a go - for the uniqueness of East meets West if nothing else.

Basically yes, apart from the danger of Kurdish bombs which may or may not be higher than here. I first went about 12 years ago, was in the areas when the Leeds fans died and they picked the wrong place to go ballooning. But it'd moved on massively last time I went. I never had any real problems, certainly I'd say London is far more dangerous.

Basically yes, apart from the danger of Kurdish bombs which may or may not be higher than here. I first went about 12 years ago, was in the areas when the Leeds fans died and they picked the wrong place to go ballooning. But it'd moved on massively last time I went. I never had any real problems, certainly I'd say London is far more dangerous.

Really?

London isn't dangerous at all, there are areas that you should avoid but generally speaking, you've no reason to be in those areas as a tourist anyway...

It was a maze of back streets. I remember the night after the game, Traf and myself wandered around these streets and they went on and on and on. Great kebabs though! I had two!

Edited by Smiley

• Moderators
It was a maze of back streets. I remember the night after the game, Traf and myself wandered around these streets and they went on and on and on. Great kebabs though! I had two!

Didn't you go out for a kebab but couldn't find one so you ended up with a cheese pie?

Didn't you go out for a kebab but couldn't find one so you ended up with a cheese pie?

First night. And peanuts out of BWFCSue's belly button.

2nd night I was too ill to eat.

Third night it was kebab heaven.

Might even have had a kebab on the Saturday afternoon as well, in fact I did, but that was in a restaurant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.