Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers Vs Steve Bennett

wovlad

Have to admit I was surprised at the stats, since 24/01/2005 & a 1 nil away win at Blackburn ( the Diouf penalty ) I actually thought they were worse than this.

Played 16

Won 4

Drawn 2

Lost 10. ( 8 league 2 FA Cup )

Our wins; Fa Cup vs Ipswich (a) 3-1 & League Cup 2-1 vs Fulham (a) The only two league wins both ironically against the same club Birmingham 2-1 (a) this season & the last game of the 2007/8 1-0 when Birmingham were already relegated.

So does he have something against us, well if he does its not in the manor of Rob Styles but if we take last nights game. Did the key decisons go against us.

1) 40 seconds, First goal offside?. I thought he was just on but the majority on the official match thread said offside, no goal but the linesmans fault ( if there was any rather than Bennetts )

2) Cana already booked fouls Weiss, it had to be a second yellow if not a straight red, either way he should have been down the tunnel

3) Lee gets booked for throwing the ball into the turf but in the direction of Craig Gordon after a goal kick was awarded that should have been a corner ( Bennett had as good a view as the linesman ) Verdict Corner & no booking.

4) Cana ( him again ) spits the dummy out of the pram slams his fist into the turf & gives Bennett verbals verdict 2nd yellow off.

5) The penalty, the contact minimal though it was, was outside the box so it was'nt a penalty. He could have just as easily sent Bent off for diving, Bent was already on a yellow.

For me the critical decision was Cana's foul on Weiss, 1-0 at the time we'd been the better team in the second half & you'd have fancied our chances against ten men with 30 mins to go.

What are your thoughts, mine are Bennetts dire but it could be worse he's obviously got it in for Birmingham.

Bennett's never got over that Diouf penalty. He's normally the fussiest of referees, but he let Sunderland get away with kicking Wilshere, and others, all over the pitch. (On a seperate note, Sunderland are way more physical than we ever were under Allardyce, yet no mention of that in the media.)

A few matches spring to mind. Arsenal in the FA cup 2005, one of the most biased refereeing performances I've ever seen. Liverpool away, same season. Even match with lots of 50/50 challenges. Fouls given against Liverpool 5 against Bolton 17 (the stewards were a bit puzzled when Bennett at last gave us a free kick and the fans started celebrating like we'd scored.) Similar story against United, season after. United fouls 9, Bolton 23.

Yes it is sad that I remember these things, but the man is a grade one cunt.

He had a shocker, he kept letting play go on both teams when clear fouls have been committed. Which just led to worse challenges, revenge tackles and Cana/Cattermole clattering our players at every opportunity.

Bennett is a dire referee, and he definitely holds a grudge against us.

Its not just Bennet though, away from home we are generally playing 12 men with the ref playing for the home team.

Cohen's first yellow on saturday was dubious (he was pulling out of the challenge to me). Ref couldn't get the red out quick enough when he fouled Parker for his second booking!

It is not our imagination, but we just have to get on with it and hope we make our own luck.

Couple of shocking decisions for me:-

1) Weiss on the touchline, when he beat his man and nearly got put into the stand. (no booking)

2) The lad that wrestled Ricketts to the floor right in front of us. Good decision to

play on but surely should have been booked.

He is a slime ball who loves himself. (don't they all !!!!)

Its not just Bennet though, away from home we are generally playing 12 men with the ref playing for the home team.

Cohen's first yellow on saturday was dubious (he was pulling out of the challenge to me). Ref couldn't get the red out quick enough when he fouled Parker for his second booking!

It is not our imagination, but we just have to get on with it and hope we make our own luck.

Got to disagree about Cohen. He had done 4 or 5 dubious challenges before he got booked.

Thought he was lucky to last as long as he did.

in my opinion most referees side with the home team on 95 per cent of occassions, the exceptions being when a so called top four side comes to town, thats why the top four sides nine times out of ten finish high up in the fair play league and thats why you get more bookings away from home than you do at home over the course of a season.

• Site Supporter

in my opinion most referees side with the home team on 95 per cent of occassions, the exceptions being when a so called top four side comes to town, thats why the top four sides nine times out of ten finish high up in the fair play league and thats why you get more bookings away from home than you do at home over the course of a season.

post-14-126830073857_thumb.jpg

Funny that Arsenal are top of the fair play league. Given

1) Rosiky's kick at Klasnic in the home game, ref pulls out the red card but after discussing it with Fabregas ( amongst others ) he changes it to a yellow

2) Gallas on Mark Davies in the away fixture

Thats just against us no wonder they're top

• Site Supporter

Woah,

Leave my mate Steve alone, I had a drink with him at our Hotel in St Lucia when I got wed 2 years ago.

In all fairness he did say he's not well liked a Bolton, I said you should'nt be such a cunt then toward us!

Said he liked the Club.

He's a reet lanky bleeder though!

another freebie?

Woah,

Leave my mate Steve alone, I had a drink with him at our Hotel in St Lucia when I got wed 2 years ago.

In all fairness he did say he's not well liked a Bolton, I said you should'nt be such a cunt then toward us!

Said he liked the Club.

He's a reet lanky bleeder though!

& you did'nt spike his drink, shame on you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.