Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whats You Pet Gripes

• Site Supporter

people who start e-petitions about things they know less than fuck all about.

people who assume they know more than highly trained professional just because they don't like whatsaid professional has decided.

Sounds controversial; would you like to expand on this?

Sounds controversial; would you like to expand on this?

Someone i know through the wife (the hippy wench from the EDL thread) is whinging about trees being chopped down in queens park and posted an e petition on FB and has started a group, theres also been the usual know nowt fuckwits writing to the BEn and moaning too.

Both the council and the Lottery bods have had the park assesed by professionals and they have decided what trees need to come down, what trees can stay and which need cutting back.

It's fair to say these people know more about thses things than most.

Do people stand next to your fire engine and tell you you're putting out fires wrong or is it just a council thing?

Edited by frank_spencer

• Site Supporter

Someone i know through the wife (the hippy wench from the EDL thread) is whinging about trees being chopped down in queens park and posted an e petition on FB and has started a group, theres also been the usual know nowt fuckwits writing to the BEn and moaning too.

Both the council and the Lottery bods have had the park assesed by professionals and they have decided what trees need to come down, what trees can stay and which need cutting back.

It's fair to say these people know more about thses things than most.

Do people stand next to your fire engine and tell you you're putting out fires wrong or is it just a council thing?

I know exactly what you mean. Yes, some folk do try to tell us how to do things. Car fires in particular often bring comments such as, don't get too close, it's been burning for 5 minutes now and is due to explode any time soon. I've never seen a car fire turn into a fireball yet; after 24 years of doing the job! It only seems to happen in Hollywood.

That said, I was once fighting a car fire in my early days and a tyre exploded with a hell of a bang. I hit the deck pretty bloody quickly I can tell you!

Regards your trees. Why not just re-invent Dutch Elm desease? German Ash or Scandanavian Lime deseased trees need to come down before they fall down you know! :roll:

Pensioners or the unemployed who go shopping on a Saturday or Sunday, there should be

a 10% levy on the twats at weekends, that would stop em !

unless accompanied by someone who works for a living the unemployed and pensioners should only be allowed on the roads and in town centres during the week from 9:30 til 16:30 and 18:30 til 07:00 both weekends and week days.

children unless physically disabled should either have to walk or get public transport to high school and unless attending a special school primary school children should have to attend schools within walking distance. Rush hour traffic would be improved instantly.

not painting white fcuking lines all over the roads would help just as much

If people could drive sensibly without them they wouldn't be needed.

They only get painted in places with a high number of accident or where there's problems with speeding but you obviously know better. :roll:

• Site Supporter

They only get painted in places with a high number of accident or where there's problems with speeding but you obviously know better. :roll:

Truth needed here Frank,

has the introduction of single file trafic along most of Crompton Way/Moss Bank Way/Stapleton Ave/Victoria Road/Beaumont Road had any measurable effect on road traffic incidents?

Truth needed here Frank,

has the introduction of single file trafic along most of Crompton Way/Moss Bank Way/Stapleton Ave/Victoria Road/Beaumont Road had any measurable effect on road traffic incidents?

don't know about the others but a councillor asked my line manager to look into Moss Bank way a couple of years back and yes the accidents had dropped dramatically can't remember the exact numbers though.

It does seem daft to drop Dual carriageways to single lane roads but Accidents have a higher priority to the council and the councils assesors than people getting places quicker.

Take bury road for example it's not wide enough for people to use as 2 lanes but people were doing therewas 2 options spend millions widening the road to make it wide enough but possibly end up in a Moss Bank Way scenario or spend a few of grand painting some lines and sticking islands in.

• Site Supporter

I honestly think, sooner or later, a local tax will be introduced to make the town's roads run quicker. The political party in power will then undo all the traffic calming measures they've spent the last 10 years installing et voila! Instant un-congested thoroughfares!

I would like to see a different road tax system.

If you use a vehicle for work, paid for by your employer you pay in band A. say ?500/year

Use a car rarely during the working day other than the journey to/from work, band B ?300/year

Use a car to/from work plus light usage during the day; band C ?400/year

Woman using car just to go shopping and taking children to school band D ?100/year but heavy fines for using car during rush hour.

Instant uncongested roads during the busy times!

I honestly think, sooner or later, a local tax will be introduced to make the town's roads run quicker. The political party in power will then undo all the traffic calming measures they've spent the last 10 years installing et voila! Instant un-congested thoroughfares!

I would like to see a different road tax system.

If you use a vehicle for work, paid for by your employer you pay in band A. say ?0/year - essential user

Use a car rarely during the working day other than the journey to/from work, band B ?300/year

Use a car to/from work plus light usage during the day; band C ?400/year

Woman using car just to go shopping and taking children to school band D ?1000/year but heavy fines for using car during rush hour.

Instant uncongested roads during the busy times!

I hate it when i'm watching telly and the volumes cranked up during the commercial breaks, why would i want to hear "SHEILAS FUCKIN' WHEELS"screamed at 200 decibles ffs.

Burndes bogs,

13 Getting old mews,

Grumpyville,

Grumpshire,

Grumpland

GRU MP1.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

Take bury road for example it's not wide enough for people to use as 2 lanes but people were doing therewas 2 options spend millions widening the road to make it wide enough but possibly end up in a Moss Bank Way scenario or spend a few of grand painting some lines and sticking islands in.

Alternatively, and with maybe a bit extra cash spent, you could make roads which, while not wide enough for 2 lanes in each direction, are certainly wide enough for three lanes. Have a tidal flow lane in the middle. During morning rush you get two lanes into town and afternoon rush two lanes out of town. instead we get bottlenecks every couple of hundred yards!

The exrtra cost would be on steelwork for a gantry every 50 yards or so with a red cross and green arrow system. Most large cities use this system and if Bolton Council are serious about their annual city status attempts, they need to start doing things in a way the big cities do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.