Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hope We Are All Getting Pissed Tonight

[rant]

It's not stopped raining for the past 5 days over here, had to work 6 days in a row, been doing my gym and fitness stuff, miserbale weather, really can't wait for the weekend, match and have a bit of fun, this week has totally drained me, aching all over, legs are f**ked, couldn't even go for a run tonight, all i'm drinking is water, protein shakes and orange juice

Can't wait for sunday to just pig out and drink summat different!

[/rant]

• Members

[rant]

It's not stopped raining for the past 5 days over here, had to work 6 days in a row, been doing my gym and fitness stuff, miserbale weather, really can't wait for the weekend, match and have a bit of fun, this week has totally drained me, aching all over, legs are f**ked, couldn't even go for a run tonight, all i'm drinking is water, protein shakes and orange juice

Can't wait for sunday to just pig out and drink summat different!

[/rant]

What? Besides presents and Easter eggs your mum gives you Alphabetti spaghetti and red cordial?

• Site Supporter

I'm working 10-5 :angry:

I wish you still had long holidays when at work like you did in school all time.

Looking forward to my presents and easter eggs on Sunday though :good:

You really don't help yourself diddles!

• Site Supporter

I'll be having an Islamic Easter

Speaking of which, in Sainsbury yesterday, four women in their Burkas picking out Easter eggs.

I must admit, after chuckling at myself at the irony, I wondered if they knew the significance of eggs at Easter time. So I asked my daughter what the significance of eggs was at Easter time . . . she doesn't know either! But she does know bits about the q'ran and other religion's beliefs! Her RE teacher is a Muslim, you see.

She also knows fuck all about Daniel in the lion's den, David and Goliath, Moses and the burning bush, I could go on.

Now I'm no follower of any religion but was brought up a Christian in the Methodist Church. I was pretty much forced to go to Sunday School by my mum who, in turn, was forced to go by her own mum. By now we're getting into the real God-fearing days! What I learned at Sunday School I still recall now.

My point in all this is; if they're going to make RE a compulsary subject in schools, then at least teach the religion of OUR country alongside those of others.

I mean no racist or religious bigottry in this post and realise that the thread will change direction. If they so wish, the mods can start this as a seperate thread.

Speaking of which, in Sainsbury yesterday, four women in their Burkas picking out Easter eggs.

I must admit, after chuckling at myself at the irony, I wondered if they knew the significance of eggs at Easter time. So I asked my daughter what the significance of eggs was at Easter time . . . she doesn't know either! But she does know bits about the q'ran and other religion's beliefs! Her RE teacher is a Muslim, you see.

She also knows fuck all about Daniel in the lion's den, David and Goliath, Moses and the burning bush, I could go on.

Now I'm no follower of any religion but was brought up a Christian in the Methodist Church. I was pretty much forced to go to Sunday School by my mum who, in turn, was forced to go by her own mum. By now we're getting into the real God-fearing days! What I learned at Sunday School I still recall now.

My point in all this is; if they're going to make RE a compulsary subject in schools, then at least teach the religion of OUR country alongside those of others.

I mean no racist or religious bigottry in this post and realise that the thread will change direction. If they so wish, the mods can start this as a seperate thread.

In the near future, let's say 25 years, we'll be an Islamic state, hopefully they will retain the easter egg tradition (not Nestle, though)

I agree,it will never happen,i am sure our Army will lie down and let this happen

I'm a hand-wringing liberal lefty yoghurt knitter and i wouldn't allow it so i'm sure the vast number of people to the right of me wouldn't allow it.

Doesn't stop the hyperbolic statements though does it. :roll:

so you learned about your religion at sunday school, but these days it should be taught in the main school.

the reason your kid has nt learned about christian lessons is because you do not take her to sunday school.

everyone who is saying their kids are not getting a good christian upbringing...how many of you are taking your kids to church this weekend ? i would bet the muslims you are talking about will be taking their kids to some religious service this weekend, maybe they are more committed to their religion than 'us lot'.

• Site Supporter

so you learned about your religion at sunday school, but these days it should be taught in the main school.

the reason your kid has nt learned about christian lessons is because you do not take her to sunday school.

everyone who is saying their kids are not getting a good christian upbringing...how many of you are taking your kids to church this weekend ? i would bet the muslims you are talking about will be taking their kids to some religious service this weekend, maybe they are more committed to their religion than 'us lot'.

Sorry, I don't recall saying I wanted a good Christian upbringing for my children. I was saying that; of the religious content at school, it is mostly aimed towards learning the beliefs and cultures of other folk rather than the beliefs and fables taken from Christianity. I was also saying that because of the content of the lessons they are getting, they know more about Islam than they do about Christianity.

I don't know much about folk's religions on this board. Religion, fortunately, has no place in discussions on a football board. I therefore don't know whether kids at a designated religion-led school; Canon Slade = CofE, Thornleigh, Mount St josephs, = Catholic. Do their own religious education include more about others' religions than their own?

As it happens, If I was able, I'd opt my children out of RE lessons. It is worth a half GCSE. Time could, in my opinion, be better spent learning other things. Strange thing is; I'm not allowed. Conversely, a Jehova's Witness I used to go to school with didn't have to attend any assembley with any religious content, including hymn singing, and opted out of RE lessons. Either the rules have changed or it's one rule for one and a different rule for others.

There are a number of Islamic schools in and around the Bolton area. Do you think they have any input at all in Christianity, Judaism, etc.?

Sorry, I don't recall saying I wanted a good Christian upbringing for my children. I was saying that; of the religious content at school, it is mostly aimed towards learning the beliefs and cultures of other folk rather than the beliefs and fables taken from Christianity. I was also saying that because of the content of the lessons they are getting, they know more about Islam than they do about Christianity.

I don't know much about folk's religions on this board. Religion, fortunately, has no place in discussions on a football board. I therefore don't know whether kids at a designated religion-led school; Canon Slade = CofE, Thornleigh, Mount St josephs, = Catholic. Do their own religious education include more about others' religions than their own?

As it happens, If I was able, I'd opt my children out of RE lessons. It is worth a half GCSE. Time could, in my opinion, be better spent learning other things. Strange thing is; I'm not allowed. Conversely, a Jehova's Witness I used to go to school with didn't have to attend any assembley with any religious content, including hymn singing, and opted out of RE lessons. Either the rules have changed or it's one rule for one and a different rule for others.

There are a number of Islamic schools in and around the Bolton area. Do you think they have any input at all in Christianity, Judaism, etc.?

i never said you did. although reading it back can see how it might have seemed like i was doing.

kids learning about each others religion might be one way of realising that the 'other lot' ot no worse or better than 'our lot'

i think RE should be taught but when kids get older and can debate what they are told.

my partners kids go to a catholic school and they an exchange with a muslim school in bradford and visit the mosque and vica versa.

so you don't think its a good idea to explain to kids what 'mumbo jumbo' leads folk to be willing to blow themselves up?

In a western society i would adopt the approach that religion is as a belief should be consigned to the same bin as that of the flat earthers.

The Beliefs of Islam should be scoffed and dismissed in school lessons as those of similar fantastical beliefs, ......the cannibal tribes who believe that eating the heads of their enemies will prolong their lives and give them extra strength or those who believe in Greek or Egyptian gods. They are as all equal if you give credence to belief over fact. If your argument where to be taken to its ultimate conclusion then we should set aside time to explain why Santa is not real.

He is just as real as the other mumbo jumbo given any rules you want to apply in your make believe world!

Edited by Big_Girl_Oral_Explosion

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.