Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V German

Happy Wanderer

Keane's right in a sense but it was Capello that picked the players that Keane is suggesting shouldn't have been there.

In my opinion he failed to pick players who were in form and relied too much on the few "star" players in the hope they could excel.

who would you have taken who could realistically make a difference baesed upon experience?

Not the usual SKD would be a better choice than Heskey. The qualification results and performances showed that England perform well against sides when Heskey partners Rooney.

Darren Bent scored for fun for Sun'lun but has looked massively lost when in an England shirt.

england just don't have enough high caliber players to realistically challenge for world honours.

Perhaps capello could have changed formation but the only change to the 11 would've been Cole/Lennon in for Defoe/Heskey that still wouldn't account for England players failure to find an England player with even the most basic of passes.

• Moderators

Keane's right in a sense but it was Capello that picked the players that Keane is suggesting shouldn't have been there.

I read it as he wasn't suggesting they should've been there, just they're not as good as some make out, particulary those who thought we could win it

• Site Supporter

I would have taken Bent and Parker.

I know there's a suggestion that Rooney plays better when he has Heskey in the side but with Rooney looking unfit and Capello's reluctance to play Crouch, even to bring him on when it was clear Rooney and Defoe were out of it, asks the question whether he himself knew what his gameplan was.

Yes, it's probably more a case of selection and rotation of the players he had available, rather than the players he failed to take but I think Bent would have given something up from in place of a lacklustre Rooney and innefectual Heskey, particularly if he was reluctant to play Crouch at all.

He picked bent in the pre tournament freindlies and bent did less than fuck all, is it any wonder Capello didn't take him?

I would've played Crouch ahead of Heskey and maybe tried a 451 at some point.

But if the players on the pitch can't get the basics right then you're fucked regardless of what tactics you play..

• Moderators

But if the players on the pitch can't get the basics right then you're fucked regardless of what tactics you play..

aye, in the algeria game the passes were constantly over hit or the players couldn't control them

not fabio's fault one of the fundamentals of football was passing, I'm sure he covered it at some point in training

Personally i preferred this from the same source -

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/world-cup-2010/gallery-fn5im2e7-1225884719717?page=1 :good:

Numbers 1 and 14 pour moi ,not quite sure what number 16's doing in there though. :blink:

I refer readers to the top post on page 4 of this thread and ask, is diddles due a SEB, Nando or lobotomy?

I didn't see that Bolty, I'm not one to steel someones thunder :D anyway different shape and mine has speech , let me off ;)

• Moderators

If the manager is having so little impact and influence he does not deserve ?5m per year.

given he's the highest paid international manager by some distance and this was his first international job, he was well overpaid to begin with, whether we qualified at a canter or not

but such decisions are down to the FA

I certainly don't think it's worth sacking him for another ?12m

something went wrong between qualifying and the actual tournament

some of capello's decisions were odd

but I lay most of the blame at the door or the spoilt, overpaid players who had the nerve to complain they were bored and go demanding beers, when they're taking part in what should be the pinnacle of their careers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.