Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Fans Where Are You?

Guest bwfcdan

I really hope we never find out if your theory is right, though I more than suspect it's not correct. It's naive at best.

Same here, premiership is the place to be :)

• Moderators

I was at home watching on a Korean stream with Jules and another mate

thought about going, nearly did

but didn't

aiming to do City, Newcastle, Sunderland and Blackpool this season - might do Wolves, not doing Wigan

there's no excuse as such, though a mortgage has changed things abit on the number of further afield all weekenders, it's been my outlook for a good few years now - I'll take in 4/5 away games a season, that's it

those games are generally chosen on social merit and nothing to do with football / form / etc

I honestly can't think of too many realistic scenarios that would have me doing 10+ aways a season again like I was doing 8/9/10 years ago, not even if they made every away game ?15, as it's not really to do with money

Ticket prices are an excuse if you ask me.

If you look at an adult ticket price at WBA it was ?25.

I remember going to Forest in the league (so that is at least 10 years plus ago)

and it was over ?20 and that was a norm around the league.

Alright the big boys (Arsenal, Spurs, United, Chelsea) are not reducing prices, but a

few of the lesser teams are.

Ok travel might be more expensive, but in inflation terms a 25% increase on a ticket

over a period in excess of 10 years doesn't look to bad.

Ticket prices are an excuse if you ask me.

If you look at an adult ticket price at WBA it was ?25.

I remember going to Forest in the league (so that is at least 10 years plus ago)

and it was over ?20 and that was a norm around the league.

Alright the big boys (Arsenal, Spurs, United, Chelsea) are not reducing prices, but a

few of the lesser teams are.

Ok travel might be more expensive, but in inflation terms a 25% increase on a ticket

over a period in excess of 10 years doesn't look to bad.

Take it you can afford it then? Ticket prices are not an excuse at all.

Cost of tickets and travel is a massive issue. The consensus from the posts on this site seems to be that most fans would like to go to more away games but have to pick a select 4 or 5 matches a year because of cost and other commitments.

I think one of the issues for Bolton is that we have a relatively small but mainly localised support base. If you have 35000 home supporters on average each week and a percentage of them reguarly go to 4 or 5 away games, the average attendance at away games would obviously be more than at say Bolton or Blackburn. For clubs like Bolton and Blackburn to keep the away numbers up there needs to be incentives to either (a) attract new away support or (B) make it cheaper for the existing support who go to 4 or 5 games but ideally would like to go to say 8 or 9.

I think boredom at the way football and BWFC have gone over the last few years is an important part of it.There was a recession in the early 90s but it didn't stop 3,500 going to Southampton on a Wednesday night and thousands having days out at Grimsby.

The poster who said relegation might increase Bolton's away support has a point.Different grounds and promotion to strive for would be something fresh rather than the current situation of scrapping for enough points to survive for another year.

Guest Frandsen08

I think boredom at the way football and BWFC have gone over the last few years is an important part of it.There was a recession in the early 90s but it didn't stop 3,500 going to Southampton on a Wednesday night and thousands having days out at Grimsby.

The poster who said relegation might increase Bolton's away support has a point.Different grounds and promotion to strive for would be something fresh rather than the current situation of scrapping for enough points to survive for another year.

surely the prices were a lot more affordable then though?

Theres nowt worse tho, than when you have forked out a load of cash, travelled friggin miles then your sat in an sparsely full away end with the home fans shouting ?YOUR SUPPORT IS FUCKING SHIT? I hate that, (which is probably why they do it) but i just think ?yeah, i know it is ? but im here, ive made the effort, what you picking on me for?.

Ive had a couple of quiet seasons and trying to get more games in again this year, (?25 and under) but im not inspired so far, there just isn?t much fun it at the moment.

Edited by Totty

Money is killing football. Even shit players earn more in a week than the average bloke earns in a year. Tickets prices are an absolute joke and travel is a rip off unless you book it 3 months in advance! If you go on the official coach having fun is banned and if somebody tries putting a coach on the police end up fucking that up.

Even when you do fork out a shitload to go theres always the chance a ref might screw us over because we arent a big club then thats your ticket money wasted and you come away pissed off to fook when your supposed to be enjoying yourself.

When we as a club start making progress and moving in front of other teams some foreign cunt just buys them and spends a load of money on diving foreign twats and we are back to square one. When a smaller team produces a good young player a big club just comes in and buys them sometimes for fook all and even then they just put them in the reserves and ruin them.

Until something is done like a salary cap and ticket price cap etc football is just going to get worse and worse attendances. Many people have lost interest because we are banging our head against a brick wall and theres not much for us to aim for anymore bar survival.

Liverpool at home live on sky and a cat A game. Another one to watch at home and save ?37 and see tons of empty seats in the stadium. Wigan away ?20 and ?15 for the kids...

As said by loads of posters until prices drop people have a choice and will pick and choose. I for one fall into this cat so if its makes me a wanker, cheap skate, glory hunter etc etc then so be it but hasnt been the case for me over past 43 years.

Liverpool at home live on sky and a cat A game. Another one to watch at home and save ?37 and see tons of empty seats in the stadium. Wigan away ?20 and ?15 for the kids...

As said by loads of posters until prices drop people have a choice and will pick and choose. I for one fall into this cat so if its makes me a wanker, cheap skate, glory hunter etc etc then so be it but hasnt been the case for me over past 43 years.

cheapest ticket is ?27 for the red Scouse game, 7 quid more than the game at the ghost town that is the DW.

If people were saying the ?25 for the WBA game was a good price surely an extra ?2 doesn't make it that much of a rip off

the cheapest for the stoke game is ?20 and ?9 for the kids

Edited by frank_spencer

watch Shrewsbury a lot home and away. I cover them for local press. In L2 prices average about 20 quid a ticket. Here are some of the Town followings away this season:

Macclesfield 970

Stoke (cup) 2,416

Stockport 901

Port Vale 1,184

even for the JPT aways at Oldham & Bury - 265 & 243 which is pretty impressive I think.

Premier League football too artificial for me and not really a competition either. Gave up my Bok ticket in 2007 after 10 years and don't miss it to be fair. Still love the club as it's always in your blood and I'm always getting regualr texts while in the press boxes up and down the country. BWFC are quite affordable in comparison but categorising games is a piss take. Should lower admission charges across the board, ban the transfer windows under restriction of trade laws, cap maximum wage, make all games kick off at 3 on a Saturday and have pay at the gate. That might work?

watch Shrewsbury a lot home and away. I cover them for local press. In L2 prices average about 20 quid a ticket. Here are some of the Town followings away this season:

Macclesfield 970

Stoke (cup) 2,416

Stockport 901

Port Vale 1,184

even for the JPT aways at Oldham & Bury - 265 & 243 which is pretty impressive I think.

Premier League football too artificial for me and not really a competition either. Gave up my Bok ticket in 2007 after 10 years and don't miss it to be fair. Still love the club as it's always in your blood and I'm always getting regualr texts while in the press boxes up and down the country. BWFC are quite affordable in comparison but categorising games is a piss take. Should lower admission charges across the board, ban the transfer windows under restriction of trade laws, cap maximum wage, make all games kick off at 3 on a Saturday and have pay at the gate. That might work?

[/quote

Good post and I can understand many of your reasons, except could not bring myself to watch any other team on a regular basis over Bolton.

• Site Supporter

Macclesfield 970

Stoke (cup) 2,416

Stockport 901

Port Vale 1,184

That's an interesting post, but those crowd figures are what you would expect from any established League club, bearing in mind they are all local games.

Promotion and relegation does not necessarily affect away followings, as this is your hardcore support whatever division you're in.

Money is killing football. Even shit players earn more in a week than the average bloke earns in a year. Tickets prices are an absolute joke and travel is a rip off unless you book it 3 months in advance! If you go on the official coach having fun is banned and if somebody tries putting a coach on the police end up fucking that up.

Until something is done like a salary cap and ticket price cap etc football is just going to get worse and worse attendances. Many people have lost interest because we are banging our head against a brick wall and theres not much for us to aim for anymore bar survival.

Agree with all of that. We need to be more like Germany, with more affordable prices and a league that is more competitive. Look at Mainz over there topping the table with 7 wins out of 7 whilst Bayern languish in mid table.

Unfortunately the power in English football sits with the Premiership and its board members so I can't see any of the changes we need happening.

Slightly off topic but did anyone hear Radio Five this morning between 9:00 & 9:15? They were discussing the increase in the "Yoof" (for want of a better word) element in footy. Quite interesting I suppose, most sensible argument came from some guy suggesting young hooligans were more a product of the way our society is at the moment rather than an endemic problem with footy. Anyway there was this guy on called "Ian" from Bolton, ex-forces, children aged 13 & 20 odd., travelled far and wide watching club and country; he was the only one (not surprisingly) defending football hooligans, claiming it was some kind of natural defence against people attacking his club/country. The BBC had said he couldn't say which team he supported but it had to be us, he made us sound like a right bunch of not-rights. I guess there is some relevance with the thread in that football matches/the atmosphere surrounding them used to be a release from the crappy realities of life, now it's just another thing to do on the weekend because there's nothing else to do.

Agree with all of that. We need to be more like Germany, with more affordable prices and a league that is more competitive. Look at Mainz over there topping the table with 7 wins out of 7 whilst Bayern languish in mid table.

Unfortunately the power in English football sits with the Premiership and its board members so I can't see any of the changes we need happening.

Bayern still have more money, fans,power etc than the rest of the bundesliga and have won 8 of the last 12 championships.

I agree on the ticket prices thing though.

• Moderators

Macclesfield 970

Stoke (cup) 2,416

Stockport 901

Port Vale 1,184

not bad I spose but be sure to post what they get at Plymouth away midweek

That's an interesting post, but those crowd figures are what you would expect from any established League club, bearing in mind they are all local games.

Promotion and relegation does not necessarily affect away followings, as this is your hardcore support whatever division you're in.

Shrewsbury to Stockport is about 1 hour and 45 minutes...it's not the furthest they'll travel but it's hardly local

Similar to let's say Bolton to Birmingham

• Site Supporter

Shrewsbury to Stockport is about 1 hour and 45 minutes...it's not the furthest they'll travel but it's hardly local

Similar to let's say Bolton to Birmingham

How on earth can that be? Bolton to Birmingham actually passes Stoke (ish) and Stockport.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.