Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nat Lofthouse OBE - RIP

Guest Daventry Whites

Our sincere condolences extend to Nat's family

A true example of what Football should be all about, modern day footballers including our own present day Wanderers would do well to pause, reflect & be grateful for their talent & opportunity!

Never to be forgotten, a Great Man who lived for his Town & Club

The Heart & Soul of Bolton Wanderers!

Sorry for the length of this piece but the great man deserves every tribute.

I was taken to my first match at Burnden Park in December 1949 as a 5 year old. Sadly the passage of time has limited my memories of seeing Nat play, but an extract from Percy M. Young?s ?Bolton Wanderers? (1961) has always stuck in my memory

Don't apologise for the length of the article, it's well worth a read. The last line would make a fitting inscription on a statue of Sir Nat outside the Reebok:

There is English football; there are English footballers; and Lofthouse is, perhaps, in our time the most English of them all.

The world legend is bandied about like confetti these days, but today the town of Bolton, the fans of Bolton Wanderers & fans of football in general, today we lost a true legend. He was the greatest player ever to pull on a Bolton shirt, no question, no debates, no doubts. . He was the Lion of Vienna, he was the saviour of our club ( Lifeline ) he was our Sir Nat. RIP

God bless you Nat, you was a true Bolton legend.

Dennis swift

Never had the pleasure of seeing nat play,but when ever his name is mentioned the memory i have of him is back in the 80's when the club was in dire straits i was standing on the burnden terrace and onto the pitch walked nat to give a rallying call to the supporters iam sure he had tears in his eyes that day.that afternoon you just new what it meant for him to be a wanderer. RIP SIR NAT.

R.I.P Nat. You are a true Wanderers Legend and you will be sadly missed.

Thoughts are with your family and friends. One of the TRUE greats of the game

Always a class act and will be sadly missed for his loyalty, modesty and devotion to his town and his club.

My father in law played with him at Schools level and they kept in touch afterwards - we arranged a reunion for them both at the Reebok once and it was a joy to see them both together reminiscing

1958 Cup Final, father in law had blagged a seat next to the steps up to the Royal Box. As Nat made his way up to the steps, he saw caught sight of him and my father in law prepared himself for the epic utterance what he knew would define his memory of that day.

"How do, Dick?" he said and marched on his way,

Great man - sorely missed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.