Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Paul would you happen to know if there is any footage around of Bolton Sheffield United from the 1970/71 season ?

Would love to see it

It was broadcast by Granada 

It was my first season as a regular at Burnden and remember seeing myself on TV on the sunday afternoon - a novelty in those days - big gang of us waving at the cameras down by the corner flag 

Anyone who was at the match will remember an amazing Ian seddon goal 

I noticed on you tube Sheffield United have a seasons highlight video ( they won promotion that season ) and that game is not featured which suggests its never since seen the light of day ?

I've never seen that one. Presumably somewhere tucked in ITV's vaults it still exists. There are quite a few games from the 70s and early 80s that ITV or Match of the Day covered that have yet to see the light of day. 

Is that the famous game when Nat picked the kids and we won 2-1? 

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I've never seen that one. Presumably somewhere tucked in ITV's vaults it still exists. There are quite a few games from the 70s and early 80s that ITV or Match of the Day covered that have yet to see the light of day. 

Is that the famous game when Nat picked the kids and we won 2-1? 

I remember seeing the goals from the game years later on " kick off " during the late 70s but have never seen any highlights since  , am sure others on here will recall Seddons goal - one of the highlights in an awful season 

You are correct in that Nat selected what i learned much later was possibly our youngest 1st XI for that game - though at the time  as a 10 year old I was completely unaware - all I really recall apart from Seddons goal was the fact that the cameras were there . 

I only started going in 76/77 but remember the absolute thrill when approaching the ground, of seeing the Granada TV vans parked on the car park near the ticket office.  It really felt like this was a huge game if they were there, and there was huge anticipation waiting to watch The Kick Off Match on Sunday with Gerald Sinsdadt (what a presenter/commentator).

8 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I remember seeing the goals from the game years later on " kick off " during the late 70s but have never seen any highlights since  , am sure others on here will recall Seddons goal - one of the highlights in an awful season 

You are correct in that Nat selected what i learned much later was possibly our youngest 1st XI for that game - though at the time  as a 10 year old I was completely unaware - all I really recall apart from Seddons goal was the fact that the cameras were there . 

Relegation to Div 3 for the first time. Poor old Nat. I think ITV were covering games from the late 60s onwards, Let's hope it sees the light of day. Why ITV don't just make all this footage I available I do not know!

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I only started going in 76/77 but remember the absolute thrill when approaching the ground, of seeing the Granada TV vans parked on the car park near the ticket office.  It really felt like this was a huge game if they were there, and there was huge anticipation waiting to watch The Kick Off Match on Sunday with Gerald Sinsdadt (what a presenter/commentator).

He was referred to as "Red Gerald" by Bolton fans because of a perceived bias to United.

When you listen now to the way he commentated, he's a cut above anything in the modern day.

• Members
21 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Anyone who was at the match will remember an amazing Ian seddon goal 

Correct. I was in the Lever End exactly in line with it as it flew into the top corner. I regularly remind him of it!

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Correct. I was in the Lever End exactly in line with it as it flew into the top corner. I regularly remind him of it!

What I find interesting on this thread is reading the recent comments of yourself , Take Hunt Off Steejay and Bolton Va Va about how violent it was in the Lever End and at football generally in that period 1968-73

When I started out as a 9 / 10  year old in 1970 I used to have arguments with my parents about letting me go in the company of lads who were only  slightly older than me - they always let me go in the end , but the first couple of years it was a very alien world that I had entered , and looking back I can understand their not being that keen on my going

I therefore saw things slightly differently ... 

We used to go in the Lever end - often queuing before the gates opened along with loads of other kids and would all immediately go to the back wall - central behind the goal , and If you were lucky you could sit on the crush barriers - those at the back which had an extra bar running across them . 

Then come 5 to 3 we would get thrown off them by some really big lads who came in stinking of beer , often dressed in crombies , many with braces , doc martins ,  big sideburns - really scary looking individuals. ( Probably yourselves !! ☺️ )

Could hardly see the game because we were surrounded by much bigger lads , and If a goal was scored we would get flung yards down the terraces , and smoke , almost everyone smoked - and there were kids in there much younger than me smoking , was like a modern day  version of fagins den . All under the watchful eye of the poor police constables standing at the very back. The run up to bonfire night it got particularly scary with bangers being thrown around the place at random . 

Then there were the songs - never heard the like of before - some that still stick in the mind to this day - If I had the wings of an Angel and Im a bow legged chicken . Some songs were 'led ' by one individual with everyone else joining in as appropriate - who were these individuals that led the singing we wondered ? There was Zig A Zagga and one that went Way o , Cooper cooper cooper Ha Ha Ha Ha ( or something similar ) where did that come from ? and what was it about ?  cant remember it all ... 

We did on occasions do a lot of running about when trouble did kick off , but tended then to run from it rather than towards it !

Had my first beer in the Lever end - queuing up for Bovril  ( at the refreshment bar under the wing stand ) at the age of 12 - big lad in front turns round saw we were getting shoved out of the way and says I'll get it for you give us your money - beer is it ? Did not like to say no -mines a bovril and so Magees Ale in Brown paper cup was first drink i had - with the police watching on . Shortly afterwards that became a regular habit when we learned that the staff on the bar  were not bothered about little things like under age drinking. 

The ‘aggro’ was pretty rare inside the Lever End  really that’s why games like the Leicester one stick in the memory although I have to say my involvement was minimal

Away games were dangerous however wether you were up for it or not .I was more ‘involved’ in these games because staying passive wasn’t an option !

Can remember the ‘way o’ chant possible candidate for that might be Tony Brooks but can’t be certain

we also used to sing ‘Lloyd George knows my father ‘ which was a real throwback to WW1

Edited by Take Hunt Off

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

The ‘aggro’ was pretty rare inside the Lever End  really that’s why games like the Leicester one stick in the memory although I have to say my involvement was minimal

Away games were dangerous however wether you were up for it or not .I was more ‘involved’ in these games because staying passive wasn’t an option !

Can remember the ‘way o’ chant possible candidate for that might be Tony Brooks but can’t be certain

we also used to sing ‘Lloyd George knows my father ‘ which was a real throwback to WW1

Definitely TB.

I think VaVa knows him??

I saw him at the Boro game in Cardiff and took a picture of him with my lad.

Custard’s only worthwhile post was the link to the original song on YouTube. It was an old Rock and Roll song and was instantly recognisable.

About this time on a Saturday we should be celebrating or sulking. Time for some more memories from normal times. This time we are going back 30 years to early April 1990 - Grand National day! 

Preston North End were visiting Burnden for the next installment of our faltering 1989/90 promotion challenge. An exciting Lancashire derby was being dominated by Bolton but PNE took the lead on 50 mins after a Mark Winstanley slip-up. The missed chances mounted for the home side and then midfielder Robbie Savage - coming back from a long injury lay-off - had to be carried off with a leg-break that finished his career.

As the game entered its last five minutes Tony Philliskirk finally made Bolton's breakthrough with the equaliser. But we still weren't finished - and Burnden Park's ice-man snatched the dramatic 90th minute winner and a precious three points. The Paddock erupts!

Sound quality ain't great in sections of this - apologies.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

About this time on a Saturday we should be celebrating or sulking. Time for some more memories from normal times. This time we are going back 30 years to early April 1990 - Grand National day! 

Preston North End were visiting Burnden for the next installment of our faltering 1989/90 promotion challenge. An exciting Lancashire derby was being dominated by Bolton but PNE took the lead on 50 mins after a Mark Winstanley slip-up. The missed chances mounted for the home side and then midfielder Robbie Savage - coming back from a long injury lay-off - had to be carried off with a leg-break that finished his career.

As the game entered its last five minutes Tony Philliskirk finally made Bolton's breakthrough with the equaliser. But we still weren't finished - and Burnden Park's ice-man snatched the dramatic 90th minute winner and a precious three points. The Paddock erupts!

Sound quality ain't great in sections of this - apologies.

Thanks Paul , great footage .The injury to Robbie certainly takes the shine off it , 2 good finishes from Tony Philliskirk though.

Paul , is there a reason why Philliskirk was pretty prolific right up to Andy Walker joining and then his goals virtually dried up.

5 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , great footage .The injury to Robbie certainly takes the shine off it , 2 good finishes from Tony Philliskirk though.

Paul , is there a reason why Philliskirk was pretty prolific right up to Andy Walker joining and then his goals virtually dried up.

I think Walker joined about half way through 91/2 and ended up being the only good thing about that season. Maybe it just went stale for TP like it had for that whole team that year? Just a big loss of momentum after the debacle against the bindippers at Wembley. By the time Rioch arrived there was a change in style that meant less focus on a target man, that wouldn't have suited him either.

Shame it ended like that for Savage but he'll always have a place in Bolton Wanderers history for one very, very famous goal!

• Members
6 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Yep, Tony Brooks (another Tonge Moor lad - most remembered - by me anyway -  for his structural steel work escapades at Millmoor). Was a binman if I remember correctly?

There was another lad (from Great Lever I think) called Dave Hollins who used to start them up too. Had the annoying habit of shouting "You poultice!" at every opposing player who incurred his wrath.

We lived for the away games. Local away games were a lot of fun as we would take big mobs. Used to prefer London and the Midlands though, more of a challenge. Our hardcore nutters were something else and I am struggling to remember  coming badly unstuck anywhere other than perhaps Millwall, As you say, there weren't too many brave enough to have a go at taking the Lever End. Fun and games when they did though.

• Members
9 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

What I find interesting on this thread is reading the recent comments of yourself , Take Hunt Off Steejay and Bolton Va Va about how violent it was in the Lever End and at football generally in that period 1968-73

When I started out as a 9 / 10  year old in 1970 I used to have arguments with my parents about letting me go in the company of lads who were only  slightly older than me - they always let me go in the end , but the first couple of years it was a very alien world that I had entered , and looking back I can understand their not being that keen on my going

I therefore saw things slightly differently ... 

We used to go in the Lever end - often queuing before the gates opened along with loads of other kids and would all immediately go to the back wall - central behind the goal , and If you were lucky you could sit on the crush barriers - those at the back which had an extra bar running across them . 

Then come 5 to 3 we would get thrown off them by some really big lads who came in stinking of beer , often dressed in crombies , many with braces , doc martins ,  big sideburns - really scary looking individuals. ( Probably yourselves !! ☺️ )

Could hardly see the game because we were surrounded by much bigger lads , and If a goal was scored we would get flung yards down the terraces , and smoke , almost everyone smoked - and there were kids in there much younger than me smoking , was like a modern day  version of fagins den . All under the watchful eye of the poor police constables standing at the very back. The run up to bonfire night it got particularly scary with bangers being thrown around the place at random . 

Then there were the songs - never heard the like of before - some that still stick in the mind to this day - If I had the wings of an Angel and Im a bow legged chicken . Some songs were 'led ' by one individual with everyone else joining in as appropriate - who were these individuals that led the singing we wondered ? There was Zig A Zagga and one that went Way o , Cooper cooper cooper Ha Ha Ha Ha ( or something similar ) where did that come from ? and what was it about ?  cant remember it all ... 

We did on occasions do a lot of running about when trouble did kick off , but tended then to run from it rather than towards it !

Had my first beer in the Lever end - queuing up for Bovril  ( at the refreshment bar under the wing stand ) at the age of 12 - big lad in front turns round saw we were getting shoved out of the way and says I'll get it for you give us your money - beer is it ? Did not like to say no -mines a bovril and so Magees Ale in Brown paper cup was first drink i had - with the police watching on . Shortly afterwards that became a regular habit when we learned that the staff on the bar  were not bothered about little things like under age drinking. 

Well you certainly describe one of the uniforms correctly. Me and a couple more off here were more of an early 'skinhead casual' type usually sporting a Fred Perry or Ben Sherman with Levi Staprests, 501's, Lee Riders etc. and usually the cherry reds but often Royals, top quality leather brogues or Windsors. Crombies or sheepskins when the weather turned cold.

Never went for the mutton chop look myself but, as you say, many did. I recall a Farnworth lad called Johnny Ratcliffe who had a pair of belters.

You would have been one of the 'dings' then. Running in the opposite direction to us when it all kicked off.

6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Yep, Tony Brooks (another Tonge Moor lad - most remembered - by me anyway -  for his structural steel work escapades at Millmoor). Was a binman if I remember correctly?

There was another lad (from Great Lever I think) called Dave Hollins who used to start them up too. Had the annoying habit of shouting "You poultice!" at every opposing player who incurred his wrath.

We lived for the away games. Local away games were a lot of fun as we would take big mobs. Used to prefer London and the Midlands though, more of a challenge. Our hardcore nutters were something else and I am struggling to remember  coming badly unstuck anywhere other than perhaps Millwall, As you say, there weren't too many brave enough to have a go at taking the Lever End. Fun and games when they did though.

Dave Hollins I remember well .He used to make songs up & start them off 

One of his best was after our really lucky 1-1 draw at Anfield when Hopkinson stopped us getting a good hiding (league cup) on the coach home he devised ‘We’ve just hammered Liverpool do da do da ‘ etc...

8 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Well you certainly describe one of the uniforms correctly. Me and a couple more off here were more of an early 'skinhead casual' type usually sporting a Fred Perry or Ben Sherman with Levi Staprests, 501's, Lee Riders etc. and usually the cherry reds but often Royals, top quality leather brogues or Windsors. Crombies or sheepskins when the weather turned cold.

Never went for the mutton chop look myself but, as you say, many did. I recall a Farnworth lad called Johnny Ratcliffe who had a pair of belters.

You would have been one of the 'dings' then. Running in the opposite direction to us when it all kicked off.

Dings were what the Warbies called Lever Enders !

• Site Supporter

Talking of Warbies, I'm fairly sure they were involved when we were stood on embankment after the parallel fencing was installed and a lad came in with a box of miniature Bell's Whisky bottles he'd stolen and just started handing then out. There's about two dozen of us, mostly teenagers,  sipping whisky. One lad necked his and launched the bottle,  which hit the copper who was always stood at the gate in the fence. 

He came racing up and saw a lad still drinking (most had put the miniature in their pocket having seen what was going on) anyway the cop collared him and asked if he'd thrown the bottle. Her pointed out that, as he still had the bottle in his hand it was highly unlikely. Everyone laughed and made that piss taking sound that was popular back in the day,  kind of an, "Aaaaaaaargh!" In the cop's direction.  He just didn't know where to look so fucked off back to his place on the gate followed by jeers of,  "Wanker,  wanker,  wanker!". 

The lad with the bottle then laughed and said, "Call me greedy bot I got two!"

He ended up pissed because all us teenagers decided we didn't actually like whisky anyway so the game was to see how many he could drink. 

• Members
10 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Dings were what the Warbies called Lever Enders !

I do remember that. Quite insulted at the time when I found out but we looked up to Warbys Mob so decided to let you get away with it ;)

2 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I do remember that. Quite insulted at the time when I found out but we looked up to Warbys Mob so decided to let you get away with it ;)

They used to actually sing lever lever lever end in a gayish way to take the piss out of us; but we did look up to them and especially when they battled with the away fans. It has to be said though that they didn't start the aggro but stood up to the them when attacked.

• Members
1 minute ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

They used to actually sing lever lever lever end in a gayish way to take the piss out of us; but we did look up to them and especially when they battled with the away fans. It has to be said though that they didn't start the aggro but stood up to the them when attacked.

Aye mate. Like I said, they were respected by your true game Lever Ender for exactly that reason. Never a backward step.

Was it the Warbys mob who snaked up the embankment over Christmas against Blackburn in the late 70s? It was an impressive sight watching it from the paddock as they weaved through the Blackburn fans to the top of the embankment and take the territory away from the Blackburn lot. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was it the Warbys mob who snaked up the embankment over Christmas against Blackburn in the late 70s? It was an impressive sight watching it from the paddock as they weaved through the Blackburn fans to the top of the embankment and take the territory away from the Blackburn lot. 

Don't remember that but their territory was at the top of the embankment so it could be true

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL