Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think he played well in the Preston promotion match if I remember. 

Really nice bloke though , spoke to him a couple of years ago about his Bolton days . He didn't have much time for Mr Neal though.

It was roughly when Neal arrived that things started going to ratshit for him at Bolton. He certainly played well for PNE that day - guessed right for SJM's pen as well. Not that he was ever getting to it.

55 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Question about old home games I've always wondered. I get that if you go back past the 70s then I'd imagine nothing was necessarily recorded. And I know Dave Higson's commentary gig kicked in at some stage later, and of course if the big boys were there with a commentary then it'll be out there. But take a game I'd love to revisit - stuffing the Filth 3-0 at home in '78 - was there really no recording done? Literally nothing? I mean if it was reported on Granada say the next day were there not shaky commentary-less sequences of the goals shown, taken by some simple set-up in the usual spot? How much is lurking somewhere? Was it never done, or done but wiped (like the BBC with TOTP or DrWho), or is it in a vault somewhere just needing hoiking out? Bloody goldmine if it's still there...

Years ago I was talking to a bloke round here who worked for Granada. He used to work at that building on Quay Street. He was a proper Man U fan and I was saying how I’d love to see the Frankie double at OT again. He reckoned that Granada or BBC North West had a camera at every Div 1 game in the 70s and 80s ready to use the highlights/footage on local news or sports reports. Most of it was never used and just chucked in boxes. According to him it depended on who the editor of the programme was the next day. If they didn’t like the footage it never got used. So a Man U editor might ignore Frankie’s goals and the next evening the presenter just reads out that Man U lost to Bolton 2-1 the previous evening and move on. Reckoned it might still be around but more likely binned when Granada and BBC moved to new premises. Nobody could be arsed converting everything to digital and into computers so in the bin it went. These lost tapes of old shows tended to be because someone who liked them happened to sneak them home. No idea if he was right but sounded plausible 

Edited by MancWanderer

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Years ago I was talking to a bloke round here who worked for Granada. He used to work at that building on Quay Street. He was a proper Man U fan and I was saying how I’d love to see the Frankie double at OT again. He reckoned that Granada or BBC North West had a camera at every Div 1 game in the 70s and 80s ready to use the highlights/footage on local news or sports reports. Most of it was never used and just chucked in boxes. According to him it depended on who the editor of the programme was the next day. If they didn’t like the footage it never got used. So a Man U editor might ignore Frankie’s goals and the next evening the presenter just reads out that Man U lost to Bolton 2-1 at those the previous evening and move on. Reckoned it might still be around but more likely binned when Granada and BBC moved to new premises. Nobody could be arsed converting everything to digital and into computers so in the bin it went. These lost tapes of old shows tended to be because someone who liked them happened to sneak them home. No idea if he was right but sounded plausible 

Wasnt there also a spell in the 70's were the film was so expensive they just used to record over the old reels?

26 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Wasnt there also a spell in the 70's were the film was so expensive they just used to record over the old reels?

Yes I believe so. That said it was a right gravy train according to him. “Who wants to go to Bolton vs Man City tonight?” Free pass into the ground, overtime, expenses, film the game, chuck the tape at the editor the next day, not give a shit about what happens with the tape. Shown, bin, or recorded over. Cannot corroborate his tale at all but such a shame if true

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

It's sadly stuck in a vault somewhere I'd imagine . I've heard off a few people it was better than the Ipswich goal.

One if those people was frank

I think the games were filmed by an independent

Poss the beeb had a one use deal

Granada did that programme several years back, The Rock and Goal years, and lots of the clips off there would have just been used for the local news the following day and never seen again. 

What I'd give to see Whatmore's goal at Everton or any from the 78/79 double.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I don't think this has been posted before , it's Charlton v Bolton and the final game of the  1982/83 season. The full match is available on You Tube for any masochists amongst us.

One of the most miserable days in the history of the club but absolutely fascinating to see it. 

* Clear sounds and scenes of the Bolton fans in and around our goal including that version of the Leeds "Marching on together" song we had. 

* Probably the only time an Ian Moores Bolton goal was captured on camera! That lad came in for some serious stick at Bolton!

* That massive side terrace at Charlton

* Quite a lot of the tension of the day comes through. There were about half a dozen teams in the mix for relegation that day and Charlton were one of the others.

Ten years in the lower divisions followed. What a day.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

I don't think this has been posted before , it's Charlton v Bolton and the final game of the  1982/83 season. The full match is available on You Tube for any masochists amongst us.

first away on my own

which bag of shit gives away goal 2?

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

Great find.

I see from the 2nd Charlton goal our free kicks have always been bad! It looked like a young Steve Thompson who gave it straight to their striker. 

On 01/02/2022 at 17:04, dusan nikolic said:

I watched quite a few snatches of the full game yesterday evening. We actually play some neat football (Hoggan, Chandler, Borrows, Gray) but it fizzles out other than when Moores scuffs home our goal. The team had barely scored any goals in the previous half dozen games. 

What's really striking is the away support. It's not vast numbers but I bet there's not far short of 1,000 there including several in the home end. Our own home support at the time was only about 6,000!

It's the songbook that's really striking ... loads and loads of lost chants. Several different ways of just chanting "Wanderers" , "We are Bolton from the north (west); "Bolton's here, Bolton's there, Bolton's every fucking where na, na, na, na, na"; "Ten men went to mow, went to mow a meadow (possibly first heard by Bolton fans the week before in the infamous home match v Chelsea); "We're Bolton, we're barmy, we're off our fucking heads". Loads of others too. Every one of them better than the dismal "white army" of the modern day.

It's the Bolton fans creating all the atmosphere complete with a slightly intimidating edge that is absent these days. Once we score you can suddenly sense the anxiety among the Charlton fans and then overwhelming relief when they start scoring. The text under the You Tube post said Charlton's manager Lennie Lawrence was phoning the press box after their equaliser asking if a draw was enough to keep them up. It was but we caved anyway.

The ref was the most famous of that time too - Clive Thomas.

It's a real moment in time is this and a momentous if horrible day in our history. Thanks for posting it.

13 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I watched quite a few snatches of the full game yesterday evening. We actually play some neat football (Hoggan, Chandler, Borrows, Gray) but it fizzles out other than when Moores scuffs home our goal. The team had barely scored any goals in the previous half dozen games. 

What's really striking is the away support. It's not vast numbers but I bet there's not far short of 1,000 there including several in the home end. Our own home support at the time was only about 6,000!

It's the songbook that's really striking ... loads and loads of lost chants. Several different ways of just chanting "Wanderers" , "We are Bolton from the north (west); "Bolton's here, Bolton's there, Bolton's every fucking where na, na, na, na, na"; "Ten men went to mow, went to mow a meadow (possibly first heard by Bolton fans the week before in the infamous home match v Chelsea); "We're Bolton, we're barmy, we're off our fucking heads". Loads of others too. Every one of them better than the dismal "white army" of the modern day.

It's the Bolton fans creating all the atmosphere complete with a slightly intimidating edge that is absent these days. Once we score you can suddenly sense the anxiety among the Charlton fans and then overwhelming relief when they start scoring. The text under the You Tube post said Charlton's manager Lennie Lawrence was phoning the press box after their equaliser asking if a draw was enough to keep them up. It was but we caved anyway.

The ref was the most famous of that time too - Clive Thomas.

It's a real moment in time is this and a momentous if horrible day in our history. Thanks for posting it.

No problem , I am  still really grateful for the old matches you put up that I requested a while ago .

A good write up Paul about the Charlton match , looking at the starting 11 we did seem lambs to the slaughter although the defence had a certain amount of experience ( though from the footage the confidence looked totally shot ) .