Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bertie said:

Was this THE Ewood goal?  Been looking for years for this (apologies if recently posted!)….

No idea but it was Worthington at ewood in 1979 according to the video  

So guess so

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

That was the goal.....if memory serves me correctly our lads in their end were to the left as you look at it, the camera cuts away just before them. I was to the right on the Riverside paddock. 

Yep, I was on that end & right at the end of that clip, you can just see Bolton at the back.

Happy Days then.  I was 7 years old, sat in their main stand with my mum/dad.  Sadly only vague memories of the goal, that night and that era, so good to find the goal footage. Would love to see the final whistle scenes….if they exist. 

5 minutes ago, Underpants said:

This was my first ever away game. Stood in the Riverside Terrace. Full of Bolton.

Ditto - only my 2nd or 3rd away game and was in that stand. One abiding memory is looking at the away end  - as packed as any stand I've ever seen since, seriously. And I saw a good few packed ones on the Embankment with away fans at Burnden in the next few years e.g. Liverpool in '79 when they stuffed us 4-1.

8 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I'd pay good money - good money - to see the 3-0. One of the greatest experiences watching Bolton, and an atmosphere the yoof of today couldn't even begin to imagine.

So would I, was there for both wins but the tension and excitement of those 2 wins has virtually erased both 90 minutes, I remember the McQueen penalty miss and before the games but little else. 

11 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Ditto - only my 2nd or 3rd away game and was in that stand. One abiding memory is looking at the away end  - as packed as any stand I've ever seen since, seriously. And I saw a good few packed ones on the Embankment with away fans at Burnden in the next few years e.g. Liverpool in '79 when they stuffed us 4-1.

Brilliant day/night - arrived Blackburn about 11.00am and loads on the train at that time

Looking back attendance was 27,835 with Blackburns average crowd that season 12,000

• Site Supporter

It’ll certainly have been posted previously but sod that; there’s never a bad time.

Thing is though, at 4.09, is it Jamie Rednapp diving in with both feet? Dirty cunt! A potentially career ending tackle if ever I saw one.

37 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It’ll certainly have been posted previously but sod that; there’s never a bad time.

Thing is though, at 4.09, is it Jamie Rednapp diving in with both feet? Dirty cunt! A potentially career ending tackle if ever I saw one.

Not as bad, but not sure how Sunbed gets away with that foul on 2:34.  Not even a free kick :)

2 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

2 of those in the bottom picture were in our van... . Kendal Friday night, Hampden Saturday for England v Scotland then down to Wembley for our final. 

My mate went to both those games, all arranged well before we got to Wembley, in corporate somehow.  He won the raffle and the prize was a football signed and presented by Rod Stewart.  England beat Scotland, we won a cup at Wembley, he's had worse weekends. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Firstly apologies if this has been posted already 

This is not the match but a brief news item about the Stoke FA Cup tie

Our first ever sunday game in January 1974 which we won 3-2

"The average English man considers Sunday a day of rest"

No. The average Englishman found absolutely f'call to do, go to, watch, nowhere open.

2 hrs pubs opened between noon and 2pm.

Closed again until 7pm.

Shops closed, cinemas closed till 7pm., very little public transport. TV began at 22noon and was religion based. Kiddies stuff at 2pm (Tinga & Tucker Club anyone ?) then closed down again till the 6pm news, then Songs of Praise followed by non-controversial drama & shut down between 10pm and 11pm

Fck me, it was dismal.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

"The average English man considers Sunday a day of rest"

No. The average Englishman found absolutely f'call to do, go to, watch, nowhere open.

2 hrs pubs opened between noon and 2pm.

Closed again until 7pm.

Shops closed, cinemas closed till 7pm., very little public transport. TV began at 22noon and was religion based. Kiddies stuff at 2pm (Tinga & Tucker Club anyone ?) then closed down again till the 6pm news, then Songs of Praise followed by non-controversial drama & shut down between 10pm and 11pm

Fck me, it was dismal.

Used to hate Sundays back then, seemed like it always rained on a Sunday as well…. Only when I was old enough for Sunday league football did it improve.