Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was I there for that game, think all us yoof went in there because it was only place we could create an atmosphere,  crowds were hovering around 4/5k and I’d say 2k were yoof in the lever end. First time I remember seeing Miami white was that era. 

Was he on the roof? 😁

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Was he on the roof? 😁

You'll get slated for that comment.

Used to go in lever end sometimes as a kid. Would switch according to wherever we fancied. Sometimes Manny road south.

Eventually gravitated to Manny road North. Not sure why.

Strangely, never watched a game from the burnden terrace.

21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You'll get slated for that comment.

Used to go in lever end sometimes as a kid. Would switch according to wherever we fancied. Sometimes Manny road south.

Eventually gravitated to Manny road North. Not sure why.

Strangely, never watched a game from the burnden terrace.

Only place I never saw a game from was the Embankment. Only ever once from the Burnden Stand though ....  a 2-0 home win over Wrexham in Div 4. Got it on video - will post it one of these fine days.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Only place I never saw a game from was the Embankment. Only ever once from the Burnden Stand though ....  a 2-0 home win over Wrexham in Div 4. Got it on video - will post it one of these fine days.

Didn't do the embankment either, but it was always away fans during my time iirc.

On 23/03/2020 at 18:46, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I was one of those in 83/84, don't know who's idea it was but it wasn't there best 😊

Dont knock it, it was quality!  Being in the Lever End from September 83 to around Feb 84 was some of the best fun I've had at Burnden, and a genuinely raucous atmosphere against Burnley and Sunderland.  OK the football wasn't top quality but there was a real party atmosphere for some games, it helped that we won most home games.  And we had new heroes that season like Tony Caldwell, Steve Thompson, Warren Joyce, Brian Borrows and Neil Redfearn, scoring plenty in the 1st half of the season.  If an away player was injured and had to be stretchered off round the back of the goal, if it was now he would be politely clapped off, in those days it was "We hope your balls drop off, we hope your balls drop off", I thought it was bloody hilarious.  

47 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Dont knock it, it was quality!  Being in the Lever End from September 83 to around Feb 84 was some of the best fun I've had at Burnden, and a genuinely raucous atmosphere against Burnley and Sunderland.  OK the football wasn't top quality but there was a real party atmosphere for some games, it helped that we won most home games.  And we had new heroes that season like Tony Caldwell, Steve Thompson, Warren Joyce, Brian Borrows and Neil Redfearn, scoring plenty in the 1st half of the season.  If an away player was injured and had to be stretchered off round the back of the goal, if it was now he would be politely clapped off, in those days it was "We hope your balls drop off, we hope your balls drop off", I thought it was bloody hilarious.  

It was a good effort and from memory was a planned move spread by word of mouth, it certainly helped create an atmosphere and played a big part in beginning the journey back up the leagues, remember the Sunderland game they battered us was it a Lee Chapman hatrick? 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

The Lever End '69 - '72 was one of the most intimidating atmospheres you could encounter. We've been through all this before.

I'll never know how I ever ended up with only three significant scars from that era. Half house bricks, darts, bottles etc. were flying about on a regular basis.  Absolutely mental pitched battles with Villa, Leicester, Boro, Derby, Sheffield United and Hull City live in the memory with the 'home team' coming out on top every time as you'd expect. Aside from the battles though, the atmosphere was electric. You could feel it as soon as you got into the street behind the Lever End.

Our occasional visitor Zulu was a regular and was famed for his forays into the DMZ between two rows of rozzers and sets of fans trying to get at each other. Used to be able dance in, land a couple and dance back out again without even being noticed. Must have been them sharp leather soled Royals :D

Gravel Rash is another who was a regular them days. Once saved me from getting my head stoved in by Hull fan armed with a house brick on the back steps on the (now) St. Peters Way side.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Remember the Leicester battle one of the bloodiest ever .We had a couple of greaser groups in those days who were targeted by Leicester .It was gruesome I honestly thought someone would cop it .

Bit of a punch up it was'nt.

Put me off for a while.

Leicester came closest to taking the Lever End before Chelsea succeeded.

DMB's by the million were the only others who managed it.

Smoggies had a proper go but ended up being completely surrounded.

Mad days with none of this fuckin pavement dancing around.

Some of my Lever End memories......munich were the only ones to clear Bolton out and Chelsea as the others to get the better of it, maybe twice..........Stoke on the Sunday was the most brutal.........City in the league cup had the best atmosphere.........Leicester included each side's top 3 private fight in the bogs, Bolton won.......Forest had smallish numbers but some hard as fuck greaser/biker types & stayed all match but got smashed outside with some getting chased & caught as far as Lever St. The return match at Forest wasn't for the faint hearted with only 2 coaches from Bolton & Forest fans looking for revenge.......Luton made a big last minute entrance in war paint & a few darts but after the surprise they didn't last till h/t.........Hull thought they'd got away with it when the police locked the L/E turnstiles with only a few Bolton fans in, but Bolton went on the Embankment & across the pitch ( half a dozen Hull fans ran on, presumably thinking the rest were behind them, & got flattened ) & they were soon cleared out,  ...........Blackpool was the most laughable as they were clearly hoping the police would save them .

I don't remember Boro on there but wouldn't be surprised.....I had Boro & Millwall as the 2 scariest away games.

• Site Supporter

That Hull game was unusual as they had never brought a decent crew previously but there was scrapping all day.

Couple of lads from Manfredi's had never been before but ended up getting arrested on the pitch at their first ever game!

I don't remember them ever going again either.

Two Malcs getting Harrington jackets shredded after being ambushed on Manny Rd...

26 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Some of my Lever End memories......munich were the only ones to clear Bolton out and Chelsea as the others to get the better of it, maybe twice..........Stoke on the Sunday was the most brutal.........City in the league cup had the best atmosphere.........Leicester included each side's top 3 private fight in the bogs, Bolton won.......Forest had smallish numbers but some hard as fuck greaser/biker types & stayed all match but got smashed outside with some getting chased & caught as far as Lever St. The return match at Forest wasn't for the faint hearted with only 2 coaches from Bolton & Forest fans looking for revenge.......Luton made a big last minute entrance in war paint & a few darts but after the surprise they didn't last till h/t.........Hull thought they'd got away with it when the police locked the L/E turnstiles with only a few Bolton fans in, but Bolton went on the Embankment & across the pitch ( half a dozen Hull fans ran on, presumably thinking the rest were behind them, & got flattened ) & they were soon cleared out,  ...........Blackpool was the most laughable as they were clearly hoping the police would save them .

I don't remember Boro on there but wouldn't be surprised.....I had Boro & Millwall as the 2 scariest away games.

Some great first hand memories. 👍Read on the old skool hoolie site about the forest greasers, mean bunch apparently from Ilkeston. No doubt these would be the lads involved. Wouldn’t of like to meet these fellas. 

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521342511712451&id=100015101191991&set=gm.2256525501298514&source=57

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

That Hull game was unusual as they had never brought a decent crew previously but there was scrapping all day.

Couple of lads from Manfredi's had never been before but ended up getting arrested on the pitch at their first ever game!

I don't remember them ever going again either.

Two Malcs getting Harrington jackets shredded after being ambushed on Manny Rd...

God that brings back memories - the two Malcs - wonder if they are still with us

And it was one of the twins who got arrested on the pitch but he did return.

Crazy days 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

God that brings back memories - the two Malcs - wonder if they are still with us

And it was one of the twins who got arrested on the pitch but he did return.

Crazy days 

And Pete D.......

He wasn't even a footy fan 😂

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Yep him; he went solely for the fighting

Not heard from any of the Stags Head crowd for a long time including Howard C.... the twins and Eric H,,,,, - have you?

Nah, I was never that friendly with them really, just in Manny's.

Then, I fucked off away to the bigger world. 😎

15 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Nah, I was never that friendly with them really, just in Manny's.

Then, I fucked off away to the bigger world. 😎

You weren't that friendly with anybody; that's why you fucked off 😀

Never forget when the train full of Bolton was coming into Preston station and you pushed the kid off; must have been still travelling about 20 mph 😎

20 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember the Burnley one. Night match ... foggy as fuck. All you could see of the Lever End was a load of lads waving their lighters in the air. Finished 0-0

That Sunderland match - really decent gate. About 13,000 I think. Thousands of Mackems. We got the runaround. They were a Div 1 side then.

Absolutely no footage of Bolton games from 83/4. No TV coverage and the regular videos never started until January 86 - other than the two games v Wigan in 84/5 and the first game of the season  v Rotherham in 85/6

• Members
16 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Remember the Leicester battle one of the bloodiest ever .We had a couple of greaser groups in those days who were targeted by Leicester .It was gruesome I honestly thought someone would cop it .

Bit of a punch up it was'nt.

Put me off for a while.

Someone did. A Leicester fan was stabbed and then hit with half a house brick a few times as the St. Johns lads rushed him away on a stretcher.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Someone did. A Leicester fan was stabbed and then hit with half a house brick a few times as the St. Johns lads rushed him away on a stretcher.

In the days when stabbing folk wasn't particularly fashionable! 

• Members
23 hours ago, MickyD said:

In the days when stabbing folk wasn't particularly fashionable! 

Not sure that's right but I get your drift with the recent stories on knife crime.

That Leicester match was the bloodiest and most violent I can ever recall. They arrived full of it, had a good go but came badly unstuck. They were trapped against the Manny Road exits trying to get through those painfully slow clicker gates. Carnage. We were picking them off at will. They were trying to scale high brick walls to escape.

Mad times.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not sure that's right but I get your drift with the recent stories on knife crime.

That's my point. Back in the day probably only fatal knifings got the column inches which made it national news. These days if someone gets a scratch they'll be on Facebook about it before they even get home.

On 25/03/2020 at 18:42, paulhanley said:

I remember the Burnley one. Night match ... foggy as fuck. All you could see of the Lever End was a load of lads waving their lighters in the air. Finished 0-0

That Sunderland match - really decent gate. About 13,000 I think. Thousands of Mackems. We got the runaround. They were a Div 1 side then.

Absolutely no footage of Bolton games from 83/4. No TV coverage and the regular videos never started until January 86 - other than the two games v Wigan in 84/5 and the first game of the season  v Rotherham in 85/6

Paul would you happen to know if there is any footage around of Bolton Sheffield United from the 1970/71 season ?

Would love to see it

It was broadcast by Granada 

It was my first season as a regular at Burnden and remember seeing myself on TV on the sunday afternoon - a novelty in those days - big gang of us waving at the cameras down by the corner flag 

Anyone who was at the match will remember an amazing Ian seddon goal 

I noticed on you tube Sheffield United have a seasons highlight video ( they won promotion that season ) and that game is not featured which suggests its never since seen the light of day ?