Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham Festival 2011

rochdale white

No, mate: that run-in is probably the best in the world. It really sorts the wheat from the chaff.

They bang on about Aintree, but apart from a slight deviation, it's just a long straight run. Horses at Cheltenham have to save something in reserve for that least climb, a tight-ish turn after such exertions and then the "sprint" to the line.

And there were some great finishes today: far better than when horses piss it by 20+ lengths.

i agree but if i only had the second in the first and then 5 nowheres.

i would be happy to piss in by 20 lengths.

Edited by Ani

Big day tomorrow for me with oscars well running

I've mentioned on another thread that it's my biz partner and his family that own it as the molly Malone syndicate; it won me a fair few quid at leopardstown so fingers crossed for tomorrow as I have a fair bit on it

I see it went down to 11-4 and has since gone up a little on the ladbrokes site anyway....

Wednesday:

1.30: Provided their stamina holds up: it seems a straight race between Alfa Beat (4/1) (4th) & Chicago Grey (5/1) (won).

For a bit of E/W value, I'm looking at Some Target (17/2) (5th)and Pearlysteps at 20/1. (7th)

2.05: I like the look of Minella Class at 10/1 E/W (6th) in what looks an open race. Rock on Ruby (2nd) and Oscars Well (4th) will probably be there or thereabouts, too.

2.40: I'm torn between two here: Wayward Prince (3rd) & Aiteenthirtythree (PU) (marginally in that order!). I'll take a punt on both at 9/1 E/W. The favourite Time for Rupert looks dangerous, but offers little value at 9/4 IMO. Fav was 5th at 7/4: a good one to swerve.

3.20: This looks to be a contest between the two market leaders: Master Minded and Big Zeb and as such might run at a false pace. I'll leave them alone for an E/W bet on Golden Silver at 12/1 (4th): which looks generous considering he beat Big Zeb in January.

4.00: Stick your pin in the paper for this one! I'd have liked Aegean Dawn for this, but he has been raised 26lbs for his recent form and 5/1 is too short for him at that weight in a 28 runner race. Instead I'll side with Bothy at 14/1 E/W. (2nd)

4.40: Another minefield with 23 going to post! And a really tough call in this one: it looks very open. Looking for a bit of value, I'll take the top weighted Kumbeshwar to grab at least a place at 20/1 E/W.

5.15: And a nice 24 runner bumper to end the day. Once again it looks wide open, but I'll go with the current jt fav Ericht at 8/1 E/W. I expected this to be a 5/1 shot, so there's value enough for me. For a longer punt, I'd be inclined to go with Bygones in Brid at 25/1 E/W.

Edited by Traf

BESHABAR (7/1) 2ND :good:

SONA SASTA (12/1) 6TH

FIRST LIEUTENANT (13/2) FIRST :yahoo:

ROCK ON RUBY (6/1) 2ND :good:

MIKAEL DHAGUENET (9/1) FELL (WAS GOING WELL TOO) :angry:

WYMOTT (10/1) PU (RAN A PIG OF A RACE)

SOMERSBY (7/1) 5TH (MADE MISTAKE 4 OUT)

FRENCH OPERA (16/1) 6TH (ALSO MADE A MISTAKE 4 OUT)

Edited by djorkaeff

ground yesterday was on the fast side of good....all times were quicker than the last 5 years at the festival so unfortunately its a bit of guess work as to which horse will or wont act on it....many of the irish horses have only ever run on soft so will just have to try to use their breeding as a guide.

Here's my bets today...

1 30 ABERDALE EW BET @ 14/1

2 05 OSCARS WELL BET 7/2

2 40 WAYWARD PRINCE EW BET 9/1

3 20 SIZING EUROPE EW BET @ 9/1

4 00 TIGER O TOOLE EW BET @ 25/1....FOR NON STOP BET @ 7/1

4 40 PAINTBALL EW BET @ 10/1

5 15 KNIGHT PASS EW BET @ 8/1

I had an extra bet on yesterday that I didnt post on here.

Went for a Lucky15 on the following horses

Bensalem @ 13/2

Hurricane Fly @ 3/1

Garde Champetre @ 11/2

Quantativeeasing @ 11/1

2 Winners and 2 second place. So close to a very big win but thats life.

My bets for today

15:20 Sizing Europe E/W

Lucky 15 To Win

16:00 Race winner Call The Police 11/2

15:20 Race winner Master Minded 7/2

14:40 Race winner Time For Rupert 5/2

13:30 Race winner Chicago Grey 5/1

May also put on a small canadian just for fun!

1.30 Pearlysteps looks like a proper stayer. He's had a bit of a breather after running third at Cheltenham in January. Vino Griego finished a length and a quarter in front of him in that race and did the form no harm with a good run in the last yesterday.

2.05 Minella Class was second in a muddling race at Huntington last time but they weren't at all hard on him and today will be a truer gallop. That said, you'd be daft not to have a bit on Aikman after that. The ground was testing that day and he looked a quicker actioned horse than Minella so it could easily be him that improves.

2.40 Time for Rupert has been exceptional this season and looks banker material.

3.20 A tricky race to pick but Master Minded beat a good horse in Somersby last time out despite excuses from connections. Nicholls reckons he's got him right for this and I believe him!

4.00 Walkon is a lightly raced horse with form in the book not far off top class. He ran a blinder to just get touched off by Tiger o'Toole at Ascot coming off a 2-month break before running no sort of race over too short a trip in the Totesport Trophy three weeks later. Forgive him that (and lots of horses "bounce") and he's a hell of a chance. Never out of the first two in his previous seven starts.

4.40 Beyond was put away for the winter and will come back on ground he likes with solid form to support his claims. He looks a big price.

5.15 I'll have a crack at Raise the Beat, by a Derby third and seemingly saved for a shot at this after impressing in Ireland six months ago.

1.30 some target ew

2.05 avoided, think so young will win

2.40 fancy time for rupert, but gone ew on aitenn thirtythree

3.20 master minded

4.00 bothy ew

4.40 nothing jumped out so gone ew on paintball

5.15 two each ways cinders and ashes and divine rhapsody

lucky 15 win

chicago grey

so young

time for rupert

masterminded

ground yesterday was on the fast side of good....all times were quicker than the last 5 years at the festival so unfortunately its a bit of guess work as to which horse will or wont act on it....many of the irish horses have only ever run on soft so will just have to try to use their breeding as a guide.

Here's my bets today...

1 30 ABERDALE EW BET @ 14/1

2 05 OSCARS WELL BET 7/2

2 40 WAYWARD PRINCE EW BET 9/1

3 20 SIZING EUROPE EW BET @ 9/1

4 00 TIGER O TOOLE EW BET @ 25/1....FOR NON STOP BET @ 7/1

4 40 PAINTBALL EW BET @ 10/1

5 15 KNIGHT PASS EW BET @ 8/1

KERCHING!!