Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham Festival 2011

rochdale white

It hasn't been too bad for me to be honest and there's a few others on here who seem to be doing OK.

Anyway for Thursday, I'm going with:

Thursday:

1.30: Wishful Thinking (7/2) is the one to beat IMO. I'd also have an E/W punt on Blazing Tempo who looks great value at 18/1 with Corals.

2.05: Alfie Spinner (14/1 E/W) & Barafundle (11/1 E/W) both look to have great chances here. An old favourite of mine Mobaasher is available at 25's+, but I think it's too much to ask here.

2.40: Poquelin (11/4): an obvious choice, I know, but should win this at a canter. My E/W punt would be on Gauvain at 12/1.

3.20: It looks like a straight fight between Big Bucks (evens) & Grand Crus (11/4). Big Bucks might well just hold the younger challenger off, but Grand Crus is a star in the making. I think there's some good E/W value in Mourad at 11/1 and also Cross Kennon at 50/1.

4.00: Struggling to choose between Beautiful Sound (8/1) & Quartz de Thaix (7/1). A marginal preference for the former, but I'll take both E/W and a cheeky Rev F/C (miracles might happen!).

4.40: I fancy the favourite Junior (13/2) to take this, but there's something about the old-timer Cornish Sett that tells me he's worth a small E/W bet at 33/1.

5.15: This is a charity race for "celebrity" jockeys. If pushed, I'd go with Devil to Pay at 11/2: an Alan King horse ridden by Channel 4 racing's Alice Plunkett. Rachel Wyse from Sky Sports News rides in ths too: she's on a 20/1 Japanese outsider: Silent Jo.

Edited by Traf

Bothy was the one of yours i noticed did well Traf, nice pick.

Incidentaly is there anywhere i can see replays yet (not sub'd to ruk for sometime now)

Kumbeshwar was 2nd at 33/1 today too and Wayward Prince got 3rd.

Anyway for re-runs: http://horses.sportinglife.com/Results/ click on the individual race names for a choice of report/ closing stages or full race.

Or just click the little camera icon for the full race.

Thursday

Not been the best Cheltenham ever betting wise,but ive made a couple of shillings.

1.30 NOBLE PRINCE (5/1)FIRST :thumbsup: fifth in this last year and gets his favoured good ground,BLAZING TEMPO (14/1)5TH would be my danger to noble prince.the trainer of sizing australia and sizing europe runs LOOSEN MY LOAD 3RD, while there are horses call MR GARDNER,MR THRILLER and MR CRACKER.

2.05 SIVOTA (7/1) 3RD looks well weighted (as is CHATREUX)and has Ruby Walsh onboard.my other pick is SON AMIX (16/1) 2ND who finished in front of sivota in a Leopardstown race though the going and weights were different for that race.

2.40 poquelin is a horse i like but 5/2 ? JY VOLE (8/1)6TH :angry: was 3rd last year so gets my vote.TARTAK (14/1)7TH won here on new years day (CAROLES LEGACY 2ND - which ran a blinder on the opening day).

3.20 as Traf says should really be between BIG BUCKS and GRAND CRUS,personally I think ASHKAZAR (40/1) A VERY POOR 12TH who again won here on new years day (beating junior and chatreux) could run into 3rd.

In the other races theres only JUNIOR (6/1) FIRST :yahoo: IN THE 4.40 that Id have any interest in.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by djorkaeff

1 30

LOOSEN MY LOAD...7/1

2 05

PAUSE AND CLAUSE 40/1

2 40

ALBERTAS RUN 6/1

BIG BUCKS 1/1

These ain't mine but Happy Clarets1, did me proud last year. Reckons the races are all tricky today and betting small, Im doing ?5 on the nose and e/w on the over 20's

4 00

CRESCENT ISLAND 20/1

4 40

CAN'T BUY TIME 20/1

1 30

LOOSEN MY LOAD...7/1

2 05

PAUSE AND CLAUSE 40/1

2 40

ALBERTAS RUN 6/1

BIG BUCKS 1/1

These ain't mine but Happy Clarets1, did me proud last year. Reckons the races are all tricky today and betting small, Im doing ?5 on the nose and e/w on the over 20's

4 00

CRESCENT ISLAND 20/1

4 40

CAN'T BUY TIME 20/1

He's not been doing very well this year! one winner in the last 2 days!

Just got back from doing the first two days. Great experience, don't know if I would do it every year though, but glad I have done it all the same. I won't be looking at my bank account anytime soon, spent a fortune. Betting wise I didn't do too well but nothing disastrous, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to have lost anyway!

As for today I've only backed Big Bucks.

Edited by rochdale white

Friday

1.30 SAM WINNER (6/1) - 4TH beat GRANDOUET in the trial for this but ran a stinker in his next race,Ruby Walsh is the jockey.

SMAD PLACE (8/1) - 10TH Course and distance winner.

2.05 SKI SUNDAY (9/1) - 9TH 10LB rise in the weights after great victory in last race.C/D winner.

SOLDATINO (14/1) - 11TH Henderson/Geraghty still not had a winner this week.

2.40 KILCREA KIM (8/1) - 5TH P Hobbs in good form this week,C/D winner.

SYBARITE (14/1) - 10TH had 4 good runs this season.

3.20 WHERE THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU START ?! DENMAN,KAUTO STAR,IMPERIAL COMMANDER to name a few entered in this but Im going for LONG RUN (9/2) 1ST :thumbsup: with MIDNIGHT CHASE (14/1) 5TH as my 2nd choice.I have the feeling at 11 years old DENMAN/KAUTO may be just a little past their best.IMPERIAL COMMANDER (10 years old)should have the measure of them.LONG RUN is 6 years old and may turn out to be the new star.MIDNIGHT CHASE is 9 years old and the prime age and has an excellent record this term (4/1/1/1/1).

WHAT A BRILLIANT RACE

4.00 DANTES STORM (9/1) 5TH (TOO MANY BLUNDERS !)

HERONS WELL (25/1) UR (1 FATAL ERROR)

4.40 SHOEGAZER (9/1) 9TH

HOLLINS (33/1) 6TH

5.15 DE BOITRON (10/1) 4TH

PEPE SIMO (14/1) 8TH

Just noticed in the 2.05 race DIRAR has been backed in from 9/1 to 6/1.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Noticed a couple of very decent picks from Enzo and Ryan - well done :drinks:

Edited by djorkaeff

Not bad today: a couple of winners & a couple of places. I got the first 4 home in the 3.20: did the tricast and it only paid 15/1: robbing bastards.

Going on holiday at 9am tomorrow, so can't be arsed profiling any races: just a sentimental bet for old times sake on Denman: took 8/1 E/W. Fingers crossed.

Guest bwfcdan

1:30 - Sam Winner

2:05 - Ski Sunday (e/w)

2:40 - Kilcrea Ki (e/w)

3:20 - Midnight Chase (e/w)

4:00 - Dante's Storm

4:40 - Hollins (e/w)