Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

• Moderators

Stalybridge were already down, they were shit. Four going down from the league this season was really harsh though. That strike came from nowhere, only 3 players on the bench with injuries etc. 

The season drained me, watching from the outside, can't imagine how much of a toll it took on folk.

Proper performance from the Colls last night, edged Southport in the second half. Some top young players, sure some will have interest from elsewhere over summer.

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Stalybridge were already down, they were shit. Four going down from the league this season was really harsh though. That strike came from nowhere, only 3 players on the bench with injuries etc. 

The season drained me, watching from the outside, can't imagine how much of a toll it took on folk.

Proper performance from the Colls last night, edged Southport in the second half. Some top young players, sure some will have interest from elsewhere over summer.

I'm expecting a different squad next season, wouldn't be suprised if some of the lads get picked up by Macc.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, C86 said:

Colls lost last night in Lancs Cup Final v Southport at Leyland on pens, could have gone either way in the 90 mins. 

Good to catch up with @Carlos 

With my Alan Nixon head on, I reckon it's the end of an era...

Wife’s Godson, Joe Adams played for Southport. Big Bolton fan but went to Bury Academy then Brentford B team and has just left (I think) Dundalk to play for his dad’s favourite club Southport.

10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wife’s Godson, Joe Adams played for Southport. Big Bolton fan but went to Bury Academy then Brentford B team and has just left (I think) Dundalk to play for his dad’s favourite club Southport.

Southport had lost there last 7 on the bounce after winning 9 nil in the semi of last nights cup.

TBH not much between the teams, they've spent a bit of cash, was told most on £300 a week min.

Some fans not happy and were calling for the managers head during the game, the "Southport massive", most with high pitched voices... 😁

• Moderators

It's out there now. Sadler told me last week, I wasn't sure what to make of it. But you can see the toll it's taken. What next I don't know. In a world where players don't have a long term contract, do the younger players, Bailey Thompson, Jay Fitzmartin etc. hang around.

As per our chat on Wed, I predicted this a few moths ago.

Bailey as already announced he's looking for a club near to where he lives. 

Joel will be snapped up, Luca too. Macc wanted him last Aug. 

New manager, new players.

Our Tom is hanging his tablet up and supping Poretti with me next season 😝

• Moderators

I kind of think that 5 years is plenty anyway. But I don't see a natural successor. I'd love to take Cunny from Ashton United though. I'd hate to join the NPL merrygoround.

I didn't see too much of the newer guys, I can see why someone coming up would want players who know the league a bit better.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I dunno, you get someone who can score 20 and some cunt comes along and offers £500 and a bag of crisp and they are off.

Or you stick em on a contract and they stop scoring 😁

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A shame that the connection has gone from the last decade but a fresh start and maybe a bit more NPL nous can’t be the worst thing. Tough to see where that will come from, mind. 

Could merge with Wigan in 3 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

They are washed.

Nothing in the Colls beyond what has been said, keeping the club in that league is too demanding to do year in, year out, whilst having a job and young family etc.

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

good coup for radcliffe getting bernad and jonno in, that'll be a promotion season for them 

what happened with cook / colls?

As Carlos said, he had had enough, it's bloody hard work on a really low budget, next season is going to be a massive test for Danny Lafferty in his first managerial role (that is if he has signed on the dotted line yet)

15 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

As Carlos said, he had had enough, it's bloody hard work on a really low budget, next season is going to be a massive test for Danny Lafferty in his first managerial role (that is if he has signed on the dotted line yet)

Wondered why he asked me what I was doing next season 🙄 told him watching football and drinking beer!

Looking at the stiffs new Hospitality ST's. 😙

• Moderators

TBF they are the league below Scunthorpe, Darlington etc. Colls are already half-decent sized. LR been left well behind. The 50 that watch them wouldn't propel the club into the Conf North.