Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dublin

'reet, I'm off to Dublin on a stag do on Friday

Not been for a few years and last time I was there they were clamping down on groups of lads / stag do antics etc

Anyone know if we'll be OK as a group of blokes getting in places.....especially with the Stag dressed like a twat.

And any reccomendations on decent bars / pubs / clubs.....? It always used to be TempleBar area for travelling parties, but as mentioned I haven't been for a while....

Thanking you

• Site Supporter

Get into the Oven Tavern if you're ever in Cork. It's just the downstairs of a terraced house. No furniture, no music other than what you sing yourself.

You sit on empty barrells with a cushion.

We asked if we could see a bar food menu and she rhymed stuff of the top of her head; Burgers, Cheeseburgers, Chicken Burgers Chips, etc.

We ordered and she shouted her daughter down to take the orders. She wrote everything down on her notepad and disappeared for 20 minutes. . . then came back through the front door with 8 McDonald meals. Only in Ireland!:thumbsup:

• Site Supporter

where are you staying?* and what's the age range, the answers to them two questions won't change my advice on stay the fuck away from temple bar, but loads of different places dependent on whether it's night club type places or a good old fashioned pub crawl, depending where your staying would depend on what I'd reccomend in certain aspects, somewhere easy walk back is better (and safer) than trying to negotiate Dublin city streets pissed in the early hours, and the taxi's are a rip off, plus i think the Irish taxi drivers are at war with the influx of foreign nationals, and your journey may be held up by two of them "discussing" who is going to take the fayre like happened to me :blink:

* I know it'll be "city centre" but that's a big place relatively.

Been over to Dublin a few times, i made a mistake when i walked in Molloys bar for a pint with my seven year old son sporting a Bolton shirt in 95, after the incidents a couple of months before at the football.. Belfast is miles cheaper and just as frendly.But i think all Ireland is brilliant. Only drawback was the "Riverdance" being played every other record in the pubs.

r

Was going out with a Dublin bird years ago. Went over and stopped with her a couple of times and found a lot of folk over their to be massively unfriendly as soon as they heard my accent.

The further out of Dublin I went the friendlier they seemed though - particularly in Waterford. Fabulous place, fabulous people and the best beer garden I've ever sat in (on a cliff top overlooking the Atlantic). :drinks:

• Site Supporter

Stayed in Bundorran just North of Sligo on the West Coast. It turns out it was the holiday town of choice for the likes of McGuinness and his Sin Fien cronies. Our coach, with GB plates on, was trashed on the pub car park overnight!

They're a friendly lot in Bundorran!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.