Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Not A Youtube, But I've Not Seen It Before

Wow some memories there. I'd forgot about the Embankment scoreboard

As Diver said.... a proper football ground where proper Bolton fans made some proper noise.

Brought back a lot of happy thoughts.

That was brilliant. That's Burnden Park how I first saw it. I get so irritated when I see representations of "Bolton's old ground" with a supermarket behind the goal. That was only the last 10 years .. before then there was a huge terrace there that could hold thousands, it had a big blue scoreboard and a railway running behind it. When I first remember it, it was split in to three sections home/away but empty unless needed/away fans. Proper Burnden.

Fantastic pictures.........its what drew me to Bolton.Remember 36,000 v spurs fa cup replay,bobby moore being sent off v fulham league cup tie,39000 v luton fa cup 6th round and Newcastles 17000 away fans in the embankment in a crowd of 46000 fa cup....ahhh those WERE the days!!!! :dribble:

But who remember the Embankment before it had concrete steps and fencing? It used to further back and the steps were made from railway sleepers with cinders and dirt in between.

A bit like this http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/collections/local-history/social-history-images/1999222

Remember it well (obviously not the 1914 postcard) but probably hadnt changed much when I started going early sixties - its amazing to think the Embankment would hold more than our average Reebok support - all served with a couple of crappy shit - houses and a couple of shitty Magees Ale bars

But who remember the Embankment before it had concrete steps and fencing? It used to further back and the steps were made from railway sleepers with cinders and dirt in between.

A bit like this http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/collections/local-history/social-history-images/1999222

I remember it from the early sixties, when the trains used to go across the back and slow down to see the score.

I know the supermarket was a disgrace and the brunt of many jokes, but the money we got probably kept the club going.

I remember it from the early sixties, when the trains used to go across the back and slow down to see the score.

I know the supermarket was a disgrace and the brunt of many jokes, but the money we got probably kept the club going.

I remember the trains going past aswell as the cinders and railway sleepers i also think your right about the supermarket we would probably have gone to the wall if we had not sold the land.I also remember my uncle lifting me over the small wooden fenceinfront of the manchester road paddock and sitting on a bench near the home team dug out to watch the matches

Great spot Satan, in 74 when I started going the Embankment was nearly in its original state I remember when they put a wall at the back end because it was in a poor state of repair it reduced the Embankment quite dramatically, Just remembered the toilets at the left hand of the embankment think they dissapeared behind the wall that was put at the back in the late 70s.

Also rememeber going to Saturday reserve games in the mid 70s and sitting under the scoreboard waiting for the half time score from Boltons away fixture, does any one remember the match at Villa over xmas in the 79, the game got called off and the reserves were playing Man U at Burnden, sure Bolton reserves beat United that day.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

By the time we left Burnden had become a right shithole - but it was OUR shithole

You're wrong there mate. It was never tatty or rundown, there was always a fresh coat of paint in the off season.

Some of the grounds we went to in the mid-80's were proper shit tips, granted they were probably in a lot better nick before our lot arrived.

You're wrong there mate. It was never tatty or rundown, there was always a fresh coat of paint in the off season.

Some of the grounds we went to in the mid-80's were proper shit tips, granted they were probably in a lot better nick before our lot arrived.

Talking about our last season their - after final game i went to BP watching a kids game from Burnden Terrace was amaged at the subsidence on the manny road - the terrace and roof dipped by what looked like several feet!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.