Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tim Ream

dirty barsteward

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Absolutely. As much as anything it's a term of endearment, out dated maybe, but no one uses it as a term of abuse.

Wonder how many from here have been abusing this kid online? None perhaps?

Way off there micky, context is everything  

You're talking out of your arse. Ask the 'different' kid if it's a term of endearment. Ask a fat kid if being referred to as a fat kid is a term of endearment or a spotty kid, a kid wearing specs the list will go on. 

Take your head from the sand and acknowledge that calling someone a spaz, even in the 80s, is not endearment it is bullying and harassment. 

Edited by MickyD
Fat thumbs

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

You're talking out of your arse. Ask the 'different' kid if it's a term of endearment. Ask a fat kid if being referred to as a fat kid is a term of endearment or a spotty kid, a kid wearing specs the list will go on. 

Take your head from the sand and acknowledge that calling someone a spaz, even in the 80s, is not endearment it is bullying and harassment. 

Mate come on. Its miles different. 

You know when people call each other idiots and spaz nowadays they're not actually taking the piss out of disabled people? Those terms have just evolved in meaning you're just being a bit thick or whatever.

Having a go at some kid in a wheelchair online is in no way the same.

If my mrs calls me tubbs or fatty and looks at my current beer belly its not a slur against people with eating disorders or type 2 diabetes.

Context is everything.

Nobody would call or nickname Darren MOngy Darren in today's world. Fuck the nicknames poor kids had in school were tenfold worse in them days.

Edited by gonzo

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Mate come on. Its miles different. 

You know when people call each other idiots and spaz nowadays they're not actually taking the piss out of disabled people? Those terms have just evolved in meaning you're just being a bit thick or whatever.

Having a go at some kid in a wheelchair online is in no way the same.

If my mrs calls me tubbs or fatty and looks at my current beer belly its not a slur against people with eating disorders or type 2 diabetes.

Context is everything.

Nobody would call or nickname Darren MOngy Darren in today's world. Fuck the nicknames poor kids had in school were tenfold worse in them days.

Pretty much, this.

One of our lot was very ginger (even more ginger than Spider) and he got all sorts off us, Copperhead, Duracell, Ginger Nuts etc. That doesn't mean we were anti-Gingers, it's just matey banter.

Discrimination in any form is wrong, but context needs applying along with a healthy dollop of common sense.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Jesus wept, is this where were at pal? This is wanderersways, a escape from the world that loves to gag mouths and lets folk express themselves like they did in their joyous youth.  We're a great bunch, let's not have any gagging on here, it's what makes it special.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

Anyhow well done Tim

I was never condoning the actions of the dick heads in the Tim Ream story. I'm not against banter either but folk need to realise banter may be funny to the person who isn't on the receiving end may be hurtful to one who is. 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, MickyD said:

Bollocks. Can't be fucking arsed.

Ask, him and see if he's ever been bullied off another Wanderer.

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bollocks. Can't be fucking arsed.

Ask, him and see if he's ever been bullied off another Wanderer.

Gets treated as a hero whenever Ive seen him at the match.

He wont be offended by me calling someone a spaz in my spare time.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Gets treated as a hero whenever Ive seen him at the match.

He wont be offended by me calling someone a spaz in my spare time.

I used to go to games on the travel club. Long time ago. Occasionally he'd be a right pain in the arse, but no one abused him and called him names. Occasionally a couple of other kids might take the piss a bit at his behaviour, but no one was ever nasty. 

I reckon if someone had genuinely had a proper dig at him, he'd have had a shit load of whites having his back.

Anyway, it's funny- I'm taking out my arse but found this:

Hmmm...

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I used to go to games on the travel club. Long time ago. Occasionally he'd be a right pain in the arse, but no one abused him and called him names. Occasionally a couple of other kids might take the piss a bit at his behaviour, but no one was ever nasty. 

I reckon if someone had genuinely had a proper dig at him, he'd have had a shit load of whites having his back.

Anyway, it's funny- I'm taking out my arse but found this:

Hmmm...

Same with Fat Frank - any opposing fans have a go at him - plenty of whites would jump in and defend him